1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McMichael Returns

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Lancer 1, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    In yet another good roster move, the Chargers have resigned veteran tight end Randy McMichael.

Versatile McMichael returning to Chargers

He blocks. He catches. He runs 'em down on special teams.
    When the Chargers have needed a man for an emergency the past two seasons, tight end Randy McMichael has been the man for the job.

And he will continue to be.

McMichael is coming back for more, he announced Saturday on Twitter, agreeing to a two-year deal.

The 32-year-old is one of coach Norv Turner's favorites, regarded for his versatility and general attitude toward whatever task is asked.

McMichael, in a nutshell, after an Oct. 2 win over the Dolphins in which did about everything, including start for Antonio Gates: “Man, I love to play football. I might not be able to walk Wednesday and Thursday, but as long as Sunday comes around, I'm going to be fine.”

The Chargers signed Kory Sperry to a one-year deal earlier in the week, so the entire tight end corps will return in 2012.

Sperry may have to earn his place in camp. The team is expected to pursue adding a fourth pass-catching tight end.

2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    He may be long in the tooth, but he's a valuable guy to have around...... good signing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Glad we have him back. Just watching the vet handle Suggs last year is worth this signing.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I dunno... I loved McMichael when he was a Dolphin. He might be a good locker room guy etc but I'm not convinced he brings enough to the TE position anymore. It's kinda sad he's ended up playing STs too, could u ever imagine Gates doing that?. This signing says alot about the TE prospects in the draft I reckon i.e. there is not alot there. I still reckon he will do well to stick as will Sperry.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    He's old, he's slow, he can't get open, he's a mediocre blocker and a mediocre special teamer.

C- Signing.

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    You hate everyone though. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    That, and his 2 touchdown game at Houston the year before last..he provides alot of stability & a big, short range target for Philip at times when Antonio Gates can't play, or is on the field but diminished.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I didn't hate the Sperry re-sign, at least he's a good blocker and he's got some potential. I also didn't hate the signings of Robert Meachem or Jarret Johnson, or even Eddie Royal although I'm skeptical that he'll get much playing time unless Floyd gets injured or walks in 2013.

Bigby and McMichael are veteran camp fodder. They're an attempt to make the roster "more mature", and what they really are is no-upside guys who prevent real prospects from developing by blocking game and practice reps just because the coaches would rather trust the "wiley veteran."

9. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I have personal reasons for not liking McMicheal (he was an *** to me on Twitter last year). But I"m fine with this. He will fill his role. I hope we can get s prospect TE in the late rounds of the draft and drop McMichael next year.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Serves you right for being on Twitter........ leave that **** to Kevin Acee. ;)

11. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    No McMichael is a good vet signing. He is now known as a blocker. Good to have him on Clary's side for support too.. Certaintly isn't what he used to be as a receiver, won't be asked to do that. Great locker room guy as well. Never heard the guy complain once that he played FB or more as a blocker. That is fine with me.. good signing..

• Like Like x 1
  12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Does this mean we can take ourselves out of the KO consideration race??

13. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Agree Blew and may I say that no one paid out more on this guy back in '10 for his lack of effort on certain plays, but he turned it all around last year and really showed me something I didn't think he was capable of ............putting his body on the line as far as blocking goes, I was quite amazed at the turnaround he showed in that part of his game.
    He certainly didn't catch as many balls as previous years, but that wasn't what his job called for under Norf's gameplan.

I'd have loved to have seen him jettisoned after that '10 season, but to his credit he reinvented himself as a good blocking TE and for that he deserves another year in the Uniform.

Mediocre blocker ????

Definetely WAS before last year Matti, physicality wasn't his strong suit by any means, but I think if you watched last year closely, you'd rethink that opinion and believe me, I was shocked he could actually show a little ticker like he did week in, week out, it was a very pleasant surprise to me at least.

As long as Gates can go, no other TE is going to be asked to run routes or get open very often, there job will be to run decoy's and take up a defender, which McMichaels did successfully last season.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    How can you have a race........ if no one enters? :D

15. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    So u never heard of a Caucus either?

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't know, Twitter can be fun to screw with people on. I screwed with Cromartie so bad that he blocked me. He would post things like "I had a great workout today" and I would reply "Did you learn to stop begin a p*ssy and hit people today?"

• Like Like x 3
  17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I disagree with that, but I don't want to go game by game and start arguing with you, so sure whateves...;)

18. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    :( Now what am I going to watch?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Oh sure, you pass on the debate when Jack says it......... but if it was me, you'd be on your second page of posts by now.

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    McMichael isn't important enough to argue about. :sleep:

Norv Turner is.:mad:

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    But we were arguing about Goodman........ Remember? ;)

22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Please don't bring up Goodman again! Stats are always correct just like our #1 defense ranking stat was. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  23. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Anyway... I don't mind the McMichael signing. He knows the system so there will be no learning curve. Hopefully we can draft the next Gates.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, I am still hoping they can find a TE in the 3rd or 4th that can out perform either McMichael or Sperry, and take their roster spot, and I hope it can be a guy that has potential to be replace Gates in a couple years

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The TE talent is pretty thin this year...... I wouldn't count on finding another diamond in the rough.

26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    He will be if his assignment blows past him and crushes Rivers ............. ;)

C'mon BLEW, Matti is smart enough to know who he can and who he can't succeed against, its a NO-Brainer, don't feel inferior though, I still love you. :D ;)

27. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    very little in this years draft as far as TE's goes ...................... may have to see who's a FA next season though, all depends on what Gatesy is capable of this upcoming season, but we are leaving it very late again, not that that is anything new ... :rolleyes:

28. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    veryyy ehhhh signing, nice to have insurance for gates but i hope this doesnt mean we wont be drafting a TE in the draft (and cutting kory sperry:tup: )

29. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    LADARIUS GREEN!!!! COMEE ONN AJ!!

• Like Like x 1
  30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Great to bring him back, another solid TE and locker room guy who does everything asked. Can't have enough of those guys at all