1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mcnair Arrested as Passenger in DUI

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by VAN DA KNIGHTMAN, May 10, 2007.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243

NASHVILLE, Tennessee (May 10, 2007) -- Baltimore Ravens quarterback Steve McNair was charged with driving under the influence even though police said his brother-in-law was behind the wheel of the pickup registered to the former Tennessee Titan.

Although McNair was merely a passenger, he was charged with a misdemeanor under a Tennessee law that prohibits a vehicle owner from letting it be driven by someone who is inebriated.

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :icon_eek: :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  3. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I wonder how drunk he was that somebody else had to drive him?

4. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    That's kind of like the Anti-Bubba Law ......

I think we were the last State to get rid of the Bubba Law - open container allowed in vehicle if the driver isn't drinking.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That's kind of phukked up. You're too drunk to drive, but you're supposed to have the decision making necessary to determine that someone else can't drive, too?:icon_shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  6. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    OK. Ant & Chispa... I gotta hear your take on this one.

"But your honor... my client was too drunk to determine whether or not his brother was too drunk to drive... have mercy on him... please!!!" :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    i still don't understand how you can be DUI when your not driving

that kinda violates common freakin sense

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    "DUI by consent".

That's a new one for me. Haven't heard of that one before, but there are lots of new laws on the books in the last 5 years.

Although, I do see the logic of holding a person accountable for knowingly letting a drunk person drive his car as he's the passenger.

When Ahmad Carroll was released by the Jags earlier this week, the talking heads stated that it would take a somewhat serious transgression by a "superstar" to see if the NFL and the teams are truly serious about cleaning things up.

I think this may qualify, since McNair is more of a name.

It will be interesting to see if Goodell and/or the Ravens suspend McNair for say 4 or 8 games, or kick him off the team.

9. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury,
    Today you are going to hear a story of a man who recieved a Driving Under the Influence when infact, he was not driving. He was simply enjoying a few coctails at the local bar, and decided that he would ride shotgun. Now the State of Tennessee will like you to believe that this man is a criminal, and was not only drunk but he was driving from the passenger side of the car. Now remember, this was an American made car. There is no stearing wheel on the right side of this car.

--opening statement should start something like this...haha...
    what an assbackward state! sorry titanfan24, no offense:tup:

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I remember going over DUI in crimlaw and I don't remember, unless I was on bolttalk at the time :icon_tease: , hearing you could get a DUI as the passenger

if so then I don't ever want to be a designated driver

• Like Like x 1
  11. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, as the designated driver, you presumably won't have a BAC anywhere near 0.08.

I think it was one of the new laws this year just for Tennessee.

I think the logic behind the law is that if you are drunk and let someone else drive your car, and they get pulled over for speeding and then booked for DUI, you get one too, because you still allowed a drunk person to drive your car.

Blam! "DUI by consent."

It will indeed be interesting to see how this shakes out over the course of the next few weeks.

They should have been partying in Texas. Open beverage containers are allowed there, so no DUI unless you are really, really, messing things up on the road. :D

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I'm not a lawyer, but this would seem to be an ideal candidate for the Diminished Capacity Defense. Most people who are drinking can't really tell how drunk they are until the signs become obvious enough to trip over(literally). How the hell is someone suppose to tell if someone else is drunk on the fly, when the cops can't get a conviction without breath and/or blood tests? This doesn't even address the issue of police training in ascertaining sobriety through use of road testing. Never mind diminished capacity-"Objection, your honor! Calls for a conclusion on the part of the witness"!

"Objection sustained".

13. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    in florida you can get a dewie by being drunk in a parking lot with your car keys. not even in the car, just in the lot...

one way to beat any dwi/dui (if you dont damage anything) is just by refusing any breath/blood tests right??? assuming you get a lawyer

14. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Not anymore .... they took away our "Bubba Law" ..... no more riding shotgun downing a Lone Star longneck .....

15. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    OK, just want to be sure before the weekend..;)

If I get smashed... It's ok to let the DD drive me home unless s/he is driving my car.... with a BAC above .08

Note to self. Buy a breathalizer tomorrow. :icon_tease:

16. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Jes doan put as much Kahlua in y'alls coffee, y'all'll be fine :yes: :icon_rofl: :icon_tease:

17. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Its just the crunk factor down here

Man,

Are you guys sure you don't wanna make the roadie down here. As you can see, we have plenty of places to get drrrruuuunnnnkk!:yes:

18. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Well, there go my plans to move to Texas. :icon_tease:

Can I still hook up a gun rack? :D

19. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    Yup, ignore the DD and just pay $20 for a cab ride home. :yes:

20. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yup!! :D

21. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Gun racks are mandantory ....

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    :yes:

23. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243

They should be required on farm tractors too ...... damn, I couldn't see that coyote out in the pasture if I wanted to. The grass is hip high now. Still can't get the hay cutters over here ......

24. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    It rained like a sumb1tch here for about a half hour at around 5 or so...thunder boomers knocked me off-line for a period of time!! :icon_eek: :icon_sad:

25. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    We just got some drizzle then.

26. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    The ground is still purty saturated out there, huh?? :icon_eek:

27. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I wonder if the NFL is going to weigh in on this with the new policy. :icon_shrug:

28. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Thats gonna be an interesting decision :yes:

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This seems to be a pretty BS law to me. I know I'm too drunk to drive, which probably means that I'm also incapable of accurately assessing my asssociate's level of sobriety. I try to do the right thing by not getting behind the wheel, but get jacked up anyway.

I'm all for keeping drunks off the road. My ex's mom & little brother were killed by a drunk driver, so I do sympathize. But I also believe that some of this hubbub over DD is a money-making machine, pure & simple.