1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeil and Hughes are gone

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Mar 13, 2012.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Why Hughes though? Do they have a plan of somebody who can play better as a nickel corner? if so WHO?

3. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    It was fun watching him play, I wish him only the best

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Well they have Jammer, Cason, and Gilcrist. So they probably think those 3 will be fine with the addition of another mid-tier CB or mid round draft pick

5. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Add Everette Brown and Nate Triplette to that list:
    http://www.twitter.com/UTKevinAcee

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I'd cut Jammer, move Gilchrist as #2 corner and Cason as #1 and keep Hughes as the nickel.. But we sha'll see if Jammer's bum *** can recover in his contract year

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Good thing you are not running the show. Hughes wasn't anything and Jammer is one of the teams defensive leaders. Hughes could still re-sign, but wasn't worth the money he was scheduled to get

8. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/cornerbacks-a-glance-at-the-2011-numbers/

good thing I'm not calling the shots huh?- Jammer was pathetic last year.

Hughes was praised by Belicheck earlier in the year.. he's quick and reads routes well. He's probably one of the more smarter players on this defense..

9. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Am I the only one that laughed at the syntax-irony here?

I still stand by the fact that both Jammer and Cason were destined to fail in Manusky's scheme - they're both man-cover corners (Jammer specifically is a press-man corner) and the hapless wonder had them playing soft zone far, far more often than not. It's simple physics that applies to a lot of this, things like inertia and what not, but most casual football fans can't be bothered with logic. Nope... give them a convenient stat (which they probably couldn't explain to you why the stats say what they say, simply that they do say it) and a chance to blow hard and they'll do it without a second thought.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Proof is in the pudding.. Man coverage or soft zone doesn't justify how BAD Jammer was last year. He is a corner, and you should play to the player's strengths but come on now you have to better than what he was.

And please provide an example of when Hughes was consistently bad.. he reads the routes well, he doesn't have ALL the talent in the world but he is a student of the game he is a smart player how can you say not?

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    don't put words in my mouth. I never said he was consistently bad. He was overpaid for what his role is. Hughes is strictly a NB and hasn't shown the ability to play the boundary corner position - with Gilchrist and Wright capable of contributing at that role (along with the fact that while the depth of starting caliber corners in this draft class is pretty scarce, the depth of subpackage guys is the best there's been in a long time), Hughes simply was not worth the salary he was set to make.

Scheme plays a HUGE role in the effectiveness of a player. You sound like you're grasping at straws at this point just so that you don't have to admit you're wrong. Statements like "you should play to the player's strengths but come on now you have to better than what he was" are indicative of that. We didn't play to our player's strengths last season, we put him in the absolute worst possible position we could have short of shackling lead weights to his ankles.

You want simple solutions to complex questions. Thing is... it doesn't work that way.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yes he was, but he also had some personal issue (no one wants to disclose what they were) and was a solid player before that. They would move him to SS before they ever considered cutting him.

And really "one of the more smarter players on this defense"? If he couldn't beat out Jammer or Cason for playing time, what makes you think he is worth keeping around? I couldn't give a rats *** if BB says I am the best poster on this site, it doesn't mean it is true

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Will never understand why they threw Hughes out so many times when it was clear they weren't happy with the production - they could've put wright into that position and let him get some real experience

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Between that and Jammers "Personal issues", he deserves a year to make up for last year. Another bad year and he is gone or playing, and will nto be the starter by mid-season

15. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    He's a skill position player (yes, I consider DB's to be skill positions in a certain respect), those are the guys who can be aided by improving the rest of the talent around them - specifically for DB's the pass-rush and the defensive trench.

Given the fact that I'm not a huge fan of many of the CB's in this year's draft as far as "developmental" guys that could project to start at boundary corner before the end of their rookie deal, I have no problem accepting the fact that we improve as much of everywhere else that needs it on defense, ride or die with the starting CB's we've got on the roster already, and put ourselves in a better position where if the value is right we can make a move on a premium position (like a true #1 CB - which is a position that merits trading up) player in a significantly better 2013 draft class. Either way, with Jammer and Cason nearing the ends of their contracts, I doubt we enter Week 1 of 2013 with both still in place as the starting corners, but having improved other aspects of the D will help ease the transition for whoever the new starter is (be it Gilchrist or some unknown).

16. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    With regards to Hughes, maybe they wanna give Shareece Wright a chance?

• Like Like x 1
  17. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    It was quoted in local papers that Jammer was selling BOTH his San Diego residences, which many believed may well have been related to some problems in his marriage !!!!

I sincerely doubt if thats the case, its something Acee or anyone else for that matter would go printing in the sports section of the local rag if they ever wanted an interview with the guy again.

And he WONT be moving to Safety if Norf's word means anything, he stated it himself he doesn't think Jammer can be converted to that position quite awhile ago.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, I kind of got the same feeling, and if that is the case, i think it is understandable why his mind wasn't in the field last year.

Norv did say he doesn't see it happening, but that is not the same as saying it WON'T happen.

None of us know, Norv could b fired after this season and the new coach wants Jammer to move. Or maybe Pagano talks Norv into it. None of us know, only time will tell

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wright's turn.

Isn't this one reason for drafting him? Some of you are acting like Hughes is our only option. I guess any excuse to whine.