1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill among players likely not to be brought back

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Chargers have room to move
    written by
    Kevin Acee

Another Super Bowl has passed; the offseason has officially begun.

The Chargers brass will spend the next two weeks prior to the NFL Scouting Combine and into March finishing up their evaluation of the current roster and figuring out who to bring back and bring in.

One thing the Chargers are not concerned about is where they’ll find the money to make the necessary improvements.

The Chargers were one of two teams to not take advantage of a provision in the NFL’s new Collective Bargaining Agreement that allows teams to carry over cap room from this year to next.

The reason the Chargers didn’t is that despite currently having $2.1 million under the cap, that room will essentially all be used by the end of the league year.

And, besides, the Chargers won’t need the extra money.

The 2012 cap is expected to be around the same level as in 2011, slightly more than last year’s $120 million and perhaps as high as $125 million. Given that, the Chargers presently have between $10-15 million to work with.

And while they have much to try to accomplish, they have room to maneuver.

For one, they will likely clear the books of $10 million by waiving left tackle Marcus McNeill. McNeill has to be cleared by a team doctor by the third day of the new league year, which begins March 13, or his 2012 salary is not guaranteed. McNeill is not expected to get a clean bill of health from the Chargers.

The team is also expected to release or seek to renegotiate the contract of defensive end Luis Castillo, who is due $4.975 million in 2012. Releasing Castillo, who played just 3½ quarters last season before suffering a fractured leg, would clear all but $1.025 million of Castillo’s $6 million cap number.

While those close to him and team sources indicate that left guard Kris Dielman is leaning toward playing in 2012 after a scary concussion and seizure prompted him to consider retirement, Dielman’s possible departure would free up another $5.5 million.

That’s money the Chargers will happily pay to keep Dielman.

One other player to consider is Takeo Spikes, who signed a three-year contract prior to last season that was essentially a one-year guarantee. Spikes, who turned 35 in December, is due $2.875 million in 2012.

All told, there conceivably could be about $23 million cut from the Chargers’ payroll in the coming months.

Whatever they have to spend – from $10 million to $33 million – they will likely use it all in the remodeling of a roster that is both old and inexperienced, contains playmakers but not enough of them and just plain needs to get better.

If you’re a Chargers fan, the quote of Super Bowl week came not from anything said by someone in Indianapolis but over the phone to someone in Indianapolis.

Speaking to UT San Diego about Philip Rivers and the Chargers’ recent failure in the playoffs, head coach Norv Turner expressed his confidence in his quarterback – with a simply stated caveat.

“He’ll get us back and give us an opportunity,” Turner said. “… We just need to continue to get better around him.”

2. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Cut both ....... time to move on.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If your going to have money available to play with, make a damn splash. Get someone who is an impact player who will help this team!

4. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    If they can sign Gaither for less, then it's a win/win..... #imjustsaying

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Signing Gaither is required if the plan is to waive McNeil, non negotiable

6. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    YEP ...... Thomas, Liuget or Martin can take over for the Non-Dancing Bear, he's done like yesterdays dinner.

7. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Fixed it Ant ......

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    So I guess we better be drafting a new LT this year.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I would be a better 3-4 DE than Castillo. I'm 6'2 and 210 lbs. Actually, my 2.5 week old little girl would be a better 3-4 DE than Castillo, because while she would be somewhat small at 2 ft, 10 lbs, she would at least still have room to grow as a player, which Glass-boy clearly doesn't.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Gaither

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Agreed. I have some concern about Gaither's history of holding out for money and getting cut twice, but as long as his head is in the right place he's an upgrade on the field, which is the important part.

On the downside, this means no McNeill to RT which means Clary still has a job.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    McNeill projected horribly as a RT anyway (the man hasn't run-blocked well since his rookie season... when he had clubs for hands), especially with the way that so many teams these days run hybrid schemes where they can move their best pass-rushers around to exploit mismatches. We've got to pray that AJ gets Gaither under contract though because otherwise we're in a bad or worse type scenario: Either he breaks his habit of not drafting 1st round OL at which point he likely trades up for someone like Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin (bad fit at LOT IMO), or he sticks to his guns and we're sifting through whatever scraps remain in the 2nd round to try and find our starting LT. Neither is a great scenario.

13. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    True, but it goes to my desperation to get rid of Clary, and not have to spend a high pick on a RT.

Looks like OT again in my mocks, 4th time in 5 years. Hopefully we spend some cash on OLB and CB.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It's AJ... we wouldn't have spent a high pick on an RT period. Fortunately this draft is chock full of capable RT prospects and not so much on the LT end (if I'm being honest I'd say Kalil and Adams are definites; Martin and Reiff both project better as RT's than LT's, both FSU OT's are scheme-limited to zone-blocking, Massie is an RT, Schwartz and McCants have LT upside but aren't equipped to play the position as rookies, and then the draft is littered with more RT's like Zusevics, Bergstrom, and Reynolds; and guys who should be playing guard like Potter, Adcock, and Holmes).

15. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Alternative proposition. We go into free agency and get either Demitrius Bell from Buffalo or Vernon Carey from Miami

16. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You do know who our GM is... Dont you?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    So he's your idea of a long term solution huh?

:rolleyes:

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well, perhaps with the injury history on the OL, he is thinking four of five games IS long term... :D

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Long term?..........I thought everyone was a Charger for the year only? :confused:

20. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I am not AJ Smith.

21. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Correct, unless your name is Jyles Tucker, Luis Castillo, Matt Wilhelm or Marcus McNeill etc etc ....

Then you get longterm contracts and never even have to suit up ............Wilhelm being the exception, the fact that he was just a flatout hack and a waste of space finally meant his arse leaving, regardless of what compromising pictures he had of AJ.

22. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Sign Gaither, at 26 hopefully he has matured enough to know that he may well be on his last chance for a decent lonterm deal.

Would love to see a ROL Guard or Tackle signed to replace Vasquez or Clary, both spots could be improved, but I wouldn't be spending anymore than a 3rd or 4th pick on one. (Also, alot will depend on what Dielman and Hardwick decide to do)

Would anyone be against us signing a Williams and or a Mathis, then a MLB with our 1st pick like this Hightower kid fom 'Bama ?

2nd and 3rd picks are then used on improving the secondary, CB and Safety both need addressing, look for a Center after that also. ..................now thats 5 picks on "D" I'm well aware of, but if that defense isnt addressed and toughened up significantly this offseason, then more dark days lie ahead.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Gaither started 5 games for us. He allowed 0 sacks. He has had problems as a RT, but as a LT he's a solid player, and one who doesn't suffer from a debilitating degenerative spinal disease. So yes, he's my idea of a long term solution, unless you see the second coming of Joe Thomas falling into the Chargers' lap as a URFA.

24. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Williams would be great, but I'd rather not have to hope that Mathis, on the wrong side of 30 can pick up a new position, especially considering that he played his whole career opposite Dwight Freeney. I would still go OLB with our 1st, because Philips isn't getting any younger and we really have no one behind him at OLB. SS is a talent black hole, but I'm hopeful that that gets addressed by signing Branch in FA. I think that with Cason, Wright, and Gilchrist on the roster that we're probably not using anything higher than a 3 on a CB this year. My sincere hope is that Smitty finds a NT in the draft somewhere who is NFL starter ready. Clary might not be the greatest RT ever, but he's a better player as a RT than what we have at Nose.

25. FCBolt

FCBolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Tough to find an NFL-ready NT in the draft. I like the kid from Washington though: Alameda Ta'amu. Lower center of gravity than a midget brick shithouse, and a bullrush that will put NFL centers on their arse. Give him a year learning from Garay and he's good to go. 3rd rounder, maybe grab him in 2nd given all the 3-4 teams always looking for the next NT.

Agree on Branch. But AJ won't do it.

We need CBs. Cason, Wright, Gilchrist and Jammer are nothing to bank on. But we need pass rush more. Hell, the Giants secondary sucks, their front 7 kicks ***, and they win the VL. Tough call on what to do at CB. If we don't generate a pass rush next year, the OL had better hold, cause we'll need to put up a ****-ton of pts.

• Like Like x 1
  26. jackfrost

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Mathis may be the wrong side of 30, but he'd do me as a Puss rusher for a couple of seasons, not looking for 6 years outta the guy. Thats the position we need the most, get pressure on the opposition QB and it's less pressure on the ILB's and Secondary, therefore you can get away with lesser talent back there like we have at the moment.

I'd love to find at least ONE new player in the area's of a Safety, Corner and ILB that could all start next season, but the likelyhood of that happening are miniscule at best.
    Start at the LOS and work backwards is the way to go ............and that will mean spending in FA and NOT small-changing the best available.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We already have those. ;)

28. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Those don't exist and that certainly doesn't look to be a trend that's changing this year based off the crop. The strength differential between college and the pro's is significant just for DE's, 4-3 DT's, and OT's.. Most 3-4 DL take at least a year to overcome that differential, particularly if you're asking them to combat consistent double-teams the way a NT/NG is expected. Even the best NT prospects of late (Raji, Wilfork, Hampton) never played the position in their rookie seasons (they primarily saw action at the 5-tech and occasionally lined up at nose in 4-downed linemen formations).

But I've yet to see a single member of this NT class that has a pro-ready anchor to his game.

29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Wow.. will be sad to see McNeill go. He was a good guy and at times a great left tackle. He surprised many of us coming out in round 2 and playing the way he did his rookie year. While Gaither looks like he can fill in for him, like many I have concerns about his aptitude and attitude, and he is a free agent right now!. So lots of worries there. I wonder might they be thinking Tyronne Green could be the starting left tackle, he was tried there for a bit last preseason. Not my idea of how we should replace McNeill but a thought nonetheless.

Castillo will not be missed one bit. He might make a good coach somewhere down the line though. He was only a passenger the last few years, being carried as an expensive luxury by AJ. His $ saving will be very welcome.

30. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Then hopefully we get someone who can grow into the position while providing relief this season, and Cam steps up his game. The 3-4 revolves around good OLB and NT play, and right now that's exactly what we don't have. I don't follow the college game as closely as I did when I was still in college, I just don't have the interest or the time, and looking at highlight reels of college prospects bores me after about 5 minutes. Obviously, my strong suit is not picking out the talent coming into the league.

I do stay up until 5 AM watching Charger games though, and to me it's pretty obvious where the holes are. Sadly, unless we pick up Soliai (sp?) who I believe is a FA from Miami this year, we may not have a way to directly upgrade that position, and Soliai may be more expensive than effective depending on the market.