1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill happy and ready

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

By Christopher Smith, Chargers.com
    Posted 10 minutes ago

The Pro Bowl left tackle wants to be the NFL’s best at his position. He also says he respects how the Chargers dealt with his contract issues.

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers have faced a lot of decisions this year.
    In sports, decisions cultivate opinions.
    The man at the center of one of the biggest decisions, tackle Marcus McNeill[​IMG], has one of his own.
    McNeill and the Chargers finalized a five-year contract Wednesday night, nearly three weeks after he signed a one-year offer and reported to San Diego. McNeill sat out training camp and signed one day before the Chargers’ Week 3 game at Seattle.
    Despite the prolonged time it took to clear the business aspect from the Pro Bowler’s way to the field, both sides will get what they wanted, McNeill said.
    “It’s probably one of the most relieving feelings I’ve ever felt,” he said of his new contract that will keep him in San Diego through 2015. “You feel like you’ve got the weight of the world on your shoulders, especially being out of camp and not being around the team and receiving so much scrutiny from everybody.
    “So for me to get a chance to prove myself and get back on the field with all the business side handled (is exciting).”
    McNeill said the Chargers’ front office was professional and he was satisfied with the way both sides handled the contract situation. In turn, McNeill said he intentionally stayed away from the media during his holdout to preserve his relationship with the organization and prevent bitterness. Now that he’s gotten a long-term deal, he feels a responsibility to reward the team.
    “They allowed me to come in with a level of confidence that, ‘You will be able to get a deal done sooner than later,’” McNeill said. “I just want to make sure San Diego receives the best left tackle in the league and that’s what I plan on giving back to them.”
    San Diego’s offense has continued to roll up yardage without McNeill, leading the NFL with 461.8 yards per game, but won’t turn down a two-time Pro Bowl left tackle with years of his prime still remaining.
    Coupled with long-term deals already in place for quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] and tight end Antonio Gates[​IMG], the Chargers have three cornerstone pieces of their offense under contract through 2015.
    “I don’t know that it’s as much a relief as it is exciting,” Rivers said. “Any time you’re able to keep a teammate for years ahead, a guy at that left tackle position that you have a great level of confidence in, it’s definitely exciting.”

SEEING RED: The Chargers’ offense is an NFL powerhouse.
    San Diego leads the league in five categories and ranks second in points per game, but there are a few areas where you have to go deeper into the list to find the Bolts.
    The Chargers have the most red zone appearances with 22, but have scored touchdowns on just half those drives. They’ve also lost a league-high nine fumbles.
    “There’s a sense of urgency in that department of course because we have all these yards and then something tends to happen in the red zone,” Malcom Floyd[​IMG] said. “All you can do is fix the mistakes.”
    Said Rivers: “Turning it over is bad enough in itself, but turning it over (in the red zone is worse because) with Nate (Kaeding) kicking it, you’re going to get three almost every time.
    “We always make it a point of emphasis. I’ve never tried to throw it to the other team or fumble and I know none of our guys want to,” Rivers said. “But we’ve got to make sure we squeeze it a little tighter, myself included, to make sure we get points.”
  2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Aug 17, 2006
    now if we can only get players on special teams to block and tackle we might be a very strong team this year.
  3. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Sep 22, 2006
    need the players first. when you rely on a fa scrub like teal to save your *** on special teams it probably means you need an upgrade or 6.