1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill headed to Hawaii

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Jan 29, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/mcneill-headed-to.htm

Chargers offensive tackle Marcus McNeill had another Pro Bowl season, but he had to wait a little longer to learn that he will receive a February vacation in Hawaii courtesy of the NFL.

McNeill, who was originally chosen as a second alternate to next weekend’s NFL All Star game, was notified Tuesday that he will play in the Pro Bowl.

“Thankfully I hadn’t gone back home to Atlanta yet this year like I did last year,” McNeill said. “I’ll only have a five-hour flight (to Hawaii) instead of a 13-hour trip. I’m just happy I get to get on that plane this weekend.”

McNeill will join the Chargers’ coaching staff and eight of his teammates in Hawaii next week. Norv Turner and his staff will coach the AFC squad, which features Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson, fullback Lorenzo Neal, tight end Antonio Gates, guard Kris Dielman, linebacker Shawne Merriman, cornerback Antonio Cromartie, defensive tackle Jamal Williams and special teams ace Kassim Osgood. Injuries to Tomlinson and Gates potentially could keep them out of the game.

“Kris Dielman was the first person that I called when I found out I was going,” McNeill said. “Finally I’m the veteran on Kris since this is his first Pro Bowl. I’m going to show him the ropes.”

Following a stellar rookie season, McNeill was a first alternate for the 2007 Pro Bowl and earned a trip to Hawaii after Bengals tackle Willie Anderson was unable to participate. This season, Bills tackle Jason Peters suffered a knee injury and was replaced by Browns rookie Joe Thomas, the third overall pick in last April’s NFL Draft. When news came Tuesday that Ravens offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden will not participate, McNeill learned that he’ll play in his second Pro Bowl in as many NFL seasons.

“It was a real treat for me to go to the Pro Bowl as a rookie last year and I’m glad I’ll get to have the experience again,” McNeill said. “It was a great experience for me to see all the best players in the NFL and get to play with them. It’s also another chance to get my parents to Hawaii and they certainly appreciate that.”

The Pro Bowl will be played Sunday, February 10 and will be televised on Fox.

Nine sign

The Chargers announced the signing of nine players to 2008 contracts. Guard Erik Robertson, linebackers Antwan Applewhite and Terna Nande, defensive ends Andre Coleman and Keith Grennan, running back Eldra Buckley, defensive tackle Keith Jackson, offensive tackle Tony Pape and safety Tra Battle all reached agreements with the club.

Robertson was with the Chargers in training camp last season but suffered a foot injury. The other eight players finished the 2007 campaign on the Bolts’ practice squad.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Illustrated Man will be back in camp for another shot.

3. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Erik Robertson is back in the mix.

• Like Like x 1
  4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Very cool... lets hope McNeill doesn't get too comfortable whatever he does this offseason. The league challenged him this year and he needs to respond.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Say it isn't so Batman. :flag:

And to think that The Head of the UT Trash Mentality Inc. called out our beloved McNeill as a "waist bender" who would never amount to **** at the pros. :yes:

That is what happens when someone slobbers all over the knob of Sirrius radio. :lol:

I love it. :tup:

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Got to beleive no one has more fun than mcneil in hawaii. Have fun big guy.

But please try and remember. Short quick steps. STay level with the d-lineman. Don't lean. And punch the d-lineman in the chest when he's close. :yes:

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Is Erik Robertson from Cal? If so Chispa will dig this.

8. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
  9. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Congrats to Big Mac. Such a great guy, glad he gets to go again.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Funny you mention this fat boy because his measurables caught my eye reading his stats. So far and for me it is early to make a draft call, I like this dude. :tup:

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    BEEF.

It's what's for drafting.

Funny how we finally spend a 1st day pick on a solid OL and he goes to the Pro Bowl back to back.

Moar plz

12. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    You had to be banned to stop posting there. The person you are calling out stopped on his own well before that happened.

Comic relief, T. That's what you are.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/prospects/gosder_cherilus.html

This guy isn't just beef he's a freakin steer!
    He's as tall as McNeil is!

Gosder Cherilus OT 6’7 319 Boston College
    By: Robert Davis

After redshirting in 2003, Cherilus moved into the starting lineup as a freshman. He started 37 straight games on the right side until he moved over to left tackle this season.

Cherilus is the ideal right tackle prospect. He has excellent size and plays as big as he is. He is very strong and shows the ability to drive people off the football and clear out running room. He is a decent athlete that shows the ability to slide in a short area to keep the defender from getting to the quarterback. Cherilus has been very steady and durable during his career, and should be ready to play immediately in the NFL.

Cherilus may be confined to the right side, as he lacks the standout athleticism to protect a quarterbacks blindside. It is not a major problem as a right tackle, it just may limit his overall upside.

Cherilus is a very good right tackle prospect. His upside may be limited which will likely keep him out of the top half of the first round, but there are plenty of teams looking for a quality right tackle. Cherilus should be a very solid offensive tackle at the next level.

A prototype Right Tackle...droooooollllll
    Can you imagine what this guy and someone like Mrzucowski (a road grader) could do opening lanes for LT? Holy ****, he wouldn't be touched for 8 yards.

Edit: I'd still like, for now, pat sims NT auburn

14. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Cherilous was tearing it up at the Senior Bowl. I'd love to have him as well. Clary did pretty decent as a pass protector but he didn't get much push on run plays. Cherilous could play guard as well, and between him, Mrscus???ski, Clary, and Goff we should be able to field a pretty good right side of the line to compliment our excellent left side. Another thing is that even though he isn't projected as an NFL left tackle, he does have experience in the position and we could shuffle him over there if McNeil ever got hurt. Oben probably won't be around next season. Two birds with one stone! :icon_toast:

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Big Mac, bringing the sexy back to HAwaii:icon_banana:

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    He is. She adopted him in training camp.

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Congrats to Big Mac. His play did drop off this year, but we know he has the tools. Hoping it's a sophomore slump & possibly being a young guy in a bit of a chaotic situation.

Gosden's work ethic has been questioned some. I dunno - he's got the size, but there are concerns about his motor.

Here's a few other possibilities that could work out

http://buf.scout.com/a.z?s=24&p=8&c=1&nid=3542598&yr=2008 Brandon Albert, G, UVa I'm not a UVA fan, even though they're just up the road from me. However, this kid is pretty versatile, played well, & has a nasty streak. Could be a sleeper, IMO.

http://pittsburgh.scout.com/2/671769.html
    Jeff Otah, G, Pitt Big kid. A few mocks have us taking him first round.

http://condraft.com/database/mountain-west/san-diego-state/brandyn-dombrowski/
    Brandyn Dombrowski, G, SDSU Sounds like a beast, local product, maybe a good late round pickup. Anyone seen him?

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Big Mac has to put those hand casts on again. He played SO much better with them on! :lol: (not wishing injury though, god forbid!)

[​IMG]

Notice how much bigger Big Mac towers over LT, aka, Charger who "pussed" out and didn't break out the pom-poms in the AFC Championship game.....(you know I'm being real sarcastic....)