1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill is getting better

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers cautious going into final exhibition game

The San Diego Chargers are approaching Friday night's exhibition finale with the San Francisco 49ers with caution.
    With the season opener against the Carolina Panthers looming on Sept. 7, coach Norv Turner isn't expected to test his starters.
    "I think we will play about 10 plays,’’ left guard Kris Dielman said. "Go score a touchdown, then get out of there.’’
    Turner extended his starters on Monday night, when the first unit played into the third quarter of a 18-17 win over the Seattle Seahawks.
    But the goal on Friday is to get the starters in and out without sustaining an injury, then take a long look at the bubble players before this weekend's final cut to 53 players.
    One player not worried about the cut is left tackle Marcus McNeill. Instead it's a stinger in his shoulder that will force him to miss all four exhibition contests.
    McNeill still isn't practicing — veteran L.J. Shelton is taking his place — but he is optimistic he's on the road to recovery.
    An MRI on Monday was encouraging and McNeill doesn't anticipate it being much longer until he gets the green light.
    "I still have a couple more doctors that have to clear me,’’ said McNeill, a two-time Pro Bowler. "And whenever they tell me, clear me, they aren't going to have to break me back in by start half practicing and all that. I'll be full go."
    McNeill is getting work on the side. He wants to jump back in quickly when the medical staff gives him the OK.
    "I'm making sure I'm staying in shape, working out and doing a bunch of pass blocking and as much blocking on the sleds that I can,’’ the 6-foot-7, 336-pound McNeill said.
    McNeill is hopeful he can practice next week, then get ready for a Panthers' pass rush that features Julius Peppers.
    "Definitely it's a possibility,’’ McNeill said about facing Carolina. "We are really optimist about it, but it really isn't in my hands.’’
    Others not expected to play Friday in San Francisco are running back LaDainian Tomlinson, tight end Antonio Gates, linebacker Shawne Merriman and defensive tackle Jamal Williams.

Yahoo.com

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    he won't play tonight, i'm very much doubting he'll play the season opener and that concerns me

• Like Like x 1
  3. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    get your *** about there big guy

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    This stinger in the neck business...players expect you to play through it. McNeill better be back by Carolina or he could lose some respect.

5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'm not certain how wise it is to toss him right into the regular season without any pre-season games behind him. It will be up to the coaching staff once they (medicos) release him to do so - but it might be better to plan on getting him a quarter or so of work in that first game and see how he is doing IMO.

“The guys who haven’t played at this point are veteran guys that in a perfect world they would have played 20 snaps or so,” Turner said. “At this point it’s not in our best interest and it’s not in their best interest. It’s not perfect. It will show up in the games but having them (on the sideline) was more important than taking the risk right now.”

Norv & Company have to manage it as best they can.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly. It's a stinger. I don't mind that he was held out of preseason, but he needs to have his *** on the field come opening day.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I'm less concerned about a stinger then with throwing McNeil with no time in the preseason out against Julius Peppers. He's no rookie but that's a hell of a challenge right off the bat.

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    You think Shelton handles Peppers better? :icon_shrug: Not at all certain that I do.

Mac says that he's kept himself in shape. He needs to get his mind right & prepare for Peppers.