1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mcneill is the new starter

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by leisure, Aug 22, 2006.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    It is about time. As I said a bazillion times, our O-line needs help.

Jordan needs to sit down or take a powder.

2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Phew!

Now please be ready for the season Roman Oben!

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Three cheers for the waistbender. Although I do prefer him over Lean-ander Jordan :icon_rofl:

4. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,516
    He can bend from his ankles just as long as he keeps those massive man pillows between Rivers and the oncoming rush.

I think this is more an example of a guy playing himself out of a job (Jordan) than a guy playing himself into one. Either way, I think McNeill is an immediate upgrade at the position.:tup:

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The guy had 40+ games in college where he did not allow a defender to sack the QB.......I hope it carries over to the NFL real real quick. Real quick.

I was praying somehow they just give him the majority of the first team reps one way or another before the season starts. The blitzes to his side will be relentless as it should.

6. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If Oben comes back, I vote to put him at right tackle.

He is way way better than the "stubby armed one" at RT and then move stubs to guard. :bolt:

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I just heard this on 1090. This is great news that McNeil is coming around so quickly. He seems humble an just wants to get better.

8. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    McNeil has been out playing Jordan in practice for weeks just look back at my TC reports. :icon_mrgreen:

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    I can see his talent on the field by the way he moves.

When run blocking, he needs way better situational awareness and the ability to read and react much faster and this only happens with reps.

Again, he has the tools to do it and is quick for a gorilla his size which caught my eye at the first game. He was able to move his lard *** with some speed.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,889
    if your that big and can run with linebackers, you cease to be a lard ***

11. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    McNeil will improve in time in the run game. He will be a little weak at the point of attack due to his back injury slowing his weight room work outs in college.

Still he will get down field better than any OL we have and his quickness and reflexes will allow him along with continuing work on his fundamentals to be our best pass protector especially vs speed rushers.

You can teach the fundamentals but you can't teach the reflexes either you have them or you don't and he has them.

12. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Marty was praising Olivea yesterday. Said he's had a terrific camp. Seeing Olivea in practice, he looks like he's put on some muscle. I really like Shane. Stubby arms or no, he's a warrior.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Once a fat boy - always a fat boy.

14. RMANCIL

Ratings:
    +223
    The latest reports have McNeil in the film room 4 hours after the Bears game. Pretty impressive.

15. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Shane is a liability. Warrior heart or not he is a liability.

Fans have become soft and acceptant of mediocrity on the O-Line.

It is not acceptable to marginally get by and that has been the prevalent attitude of mgt and the fans.

A right tackle shuts his side down as does a left tackle.

You either have the measurables or you do not. He does not. He is not tall enough nor has the wing span to hand punch a defender coming off the edge nor does he move well enough to compensate for these deficiencies. Technique and angles will take you and this team only so far then it is sayonara baby. Finito. Checkmate.

16. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    He moves laterally very well. I'd like to see him power into his blocks a bit more, especially in run blocking.

17. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And that is what our right tackle should look like and not some mutant midget sasquatch-like stubby armed offspring.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

A.J. IS GOD

19. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    your hate for Olivea equals mine for Jammer.... and neither one of em can catch a cold... :lol:

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,516
    Some fans think that no one can excel at a position unless they have prototypical size and all-pro skills. Luckily, our GM is not one of those guys.

Shane is a very good player. He is not the liability that you think he is, neither is Goff or Dielman.

I don't accept mediocrity. I just don't see these guys as mediocre. I see them as very solid.

I know you want all-pros at every position, including third string right tackle, but that is not realistic.

How many sacks has Olivea allowed the last two seasons because of his deficiencies? In Olivea's rookie year, we were near the top of the league in sacks allowed. I don't think we could have accomplished that if Olivea was the matador you make him out to be.

Olivea is going to be our starting RT for the next 5-10 years. Get used to it.

21. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Holy crap...there is no way you hate Jammer as much as I hate Olivea.....that runs way deep if so...way deep. :icon_eek:

Jammer will continue to open your eyes and this year - dude will shine - even more so.

Mc Cree and/or Hart can play FS so this weighs in on a corners mindset to take chances.

I can not understand how fans can be polar opposites on a players skill set. :icon_huh:

I guess its what makes the game interesting because the list of "I told you so's" are endless. :icon_banana: