1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill joins workouts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

July 28, 2009, 1:18 p.m.​

McNeill joins workouts

By Kevin Acee

Marcus McNeill practiced today, as rookies and some veterans worked for a second day in this week of pre-training camp.

McNeill, who had neck surgery in the offseason, said he's 100 percent. He had been working on the side all spring during coaching sessions, but this was his first time on the field doing drills and team work.

He said he burned the bulky protective collar he wore all last season.

Gartrell Johnson is going to be interesting to watch. Difficult to tell how good the rookie back is running essentially unopposed. But he is what they call a "downhill" runner. Johnson, taken in the fourth round, might even get a little work against the second team come preseason, since L.T. doesn't play and Sproles will be used less than in past preseasons.

Buster Davis is getting a lot of work. Philip Rivers is throwing to him in team drills, because despite how little Davis has worked in his two seasons, he's still the receiver here that Rivers is most familiar with. Davis, by the way, made it through a second straight day of practice.

Scott Mruczkowski is working at center and will stay there for the most part once the rest of the veterans arrive, though he'll of course move down to the second team. With the Chargers having drafted Tyronne Green and calling him a center, there is going to be a battle for the final OL spot.

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  3. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47

true that.

:icon_rofl:

4. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I called him a crotchity old bastard! And I also told him that we need to keep him alive for several more years, he is the best weapon we have!

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Rep to you

6. Bolt954

Bolt954 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  8. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    McNeill all smiles in return to field

Casey Pearce
    Posted 50 minutes ago

Marcus McNeill was unable to participate in Offseason Coaching Sessions this spring following neck surgery, but the talented, happy-go-lucky left tackle finally found his way on the field Tuesday.

McNeill was on the field with the team’s rookies and select veterans Tuesday, and he looked and felt like his old self.

“I feel great and I was tired of watching,” McNeill said. “I thought people were going to start forgetting about me in a second. It felt good to get back out there, sweat a little bit and get this thing rolling.”

Prior to Tuesday, McNeill hadn’t put on a football helmet since the team’s season-ending playoff loss to Pittsburgh in January. During training camp last summer, McNeill suffered a stinger. The two-time Pro Bowler missed two games but played the remainder of the season.

In February, he underwent an operation on his neck. McNeill was able to workout and follow his typical offseason conditioning routine, but he wasn’t able to work with his teammates on the field.

“He missed a lot of the offseason work so I wanted him to be here for this short week,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “It’s good for him.”

As happy as he is to have the neck problem behind him, McNeill seems almost as pleased over the fact that he has a new set of shoulder pads. Throughout the 2008 campaign, he wore shoulder pads that featured large supports behind and on both sides of his neck. The special equipment is no longer needed.

“I got rid of the big ugly monster,” McNeill said. “It messed my swag up. I felt like the Hunchback of Notre Dame with that big thing on. I feel a lot lighter. I think that thing weighs about 30 pounds.”

McNeill doesn’t think he was limited physically last season, but he does think his neck and the extra padding around it affected him mentally.

“It was in the back of my mind, and I think that’s what bothered me most,” McNeill said. “It wasn’t really that it hindered me any based upon the play, but when you know that you’re playing with something wrong with your neck, you’re a little more timid. Now that I’ve got that fixed, I just feel better out there playing. I feel loose.”

McNeill was upbeat about the outlook for the Chargers’ offensive line in 2009. He spoke highly of the new addition Kynan Forney[​IMG] and praised rookie Louis Vasquez[​IMG] for his work this offseason. He said the four returning starters – himself, Kris Dielman[​IMG], Nick Hardwick[​IMG] and Jeromey Clary[​IMG] – have all committed themselves to preparing hard for a strong campaign.

“I know some people were a little down on us,” McNeill said, “but we’ve had a good offseason and we’re committed to getting back to being one of the elite lines in this league.”

9. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    haha