1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill moves on from holdout, eyes long-term Chargers deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    • NFL.com Wire Reports
    • Published: Sept. 27, 2010 at 10:01 p.m.
    [​IMG]

Marcus McNeill is inching closer to being on the field with the San Diego Chargers.
    The Pro Bowl left tackle ended his holdout Saturday when he signed his one-year contract tender. Things progressed Monday, when The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that McNeill was at Chargers Park for meetings before heading off for a physical that will pave the way for him to practice with the team.
    "Me and the Chargers, we talked, and I feel real comfortable about my situation," said McNeill, who wants a long-term deal. "I felt assured when I got back I'd be able to play and hopefully receive something later on down the line. I feel more comfortable."
    The Chargers and McNeill are back together, but he must sit out the next three games because he and wide receiver Vincent Jackson were placed on the roster exempt list Aug. 20 while holding out. Jackson still hasn't signed or reported to the team.
    McNeill, who played in the Pro Bowl following the 2006 and 2007 seasons, will be eligible to play in the Oct. 17 game against the St. Louis Rams.
    McNeill is scheduled to make approximately $444,000 -- or more than $2.7 million less than his salary would have been had he signed his original tender in the spring.
    Despite the considerable financial fallout of his actions, McNeill stands by his decision and hopes a longterm deal eventually will come.
    "I definitely feel I took a step in the right direction," he said. "I feel me and the Chargers feel good about our relationship, and we want to keep it for hopefully a long time."
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    McNeill feels good about relationship with Chargers

By Kevin Acee
    Monday, September 27, 2010 at 3:51 p.m.

Marcus McNeill was at Chargers Park for meetings Monday afternoon before heading off to get a physical that will, presumably, clear him to resume working with the team he said he hopes is his for a long time.
    “Me and the Chargers, we talked and I feel real comfortable about my situation,” McNeill said. “I felt assured when I got back I’d be able to play and hopefully receive something later on down the line. I feel more comfortable.”
    The two-time Pro Bowl left tackle ended a months-long protest over his contract situation Saturday by signing a one-year tender that is scheduled to pay him approximately $444,000.
    While he lost out on more than $2.7 million by not signing his original restricted free agent tender in the spring, McNeill believes his sitting out accomplished something.
    “I definitely feel I took a step in the right direction,” he said. “I feel me and the Chargers feel good about our relationship, and we want to keep it for hopefully a long time.”
    McNeill has always been in the Chargers’ long-term plans. They were waiting to begin negotiations with him until after they extended tight end Antonio Gates, which they did in July. But by then McNeill was sitting out. It is expected the sides will begin talks soon, and if those go well McNeill will have a deal by the end of the season.
    In contrast to the contentiousness surrounding the dealings with receiver Vincent Jackson, also a restricted free agent who is sitting out, the McNeill impasse was always pleasant. Little was said publicly. In a face-to-face meeting in August McNeill and Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith expressed their mutual admiration.
    “We never had any negative conversations,” McNeill said. “That’s why there was no reason for me to be in the media stirring up anything. It was always pretty cordial, just a little bit of disagreements … I never felt like it was anything malicious. I never felt me and the Chargers were on bad terms. I just felt like it was time for us to start talking about contracts and things like that, because I had finished out my first contract. It was business minded, not anything real malicious.”
    McNeill was offered $3.168 million in June but did not want to risk injury playing for an amount that paled compared to what he would be guaranteed in a long-term contract. When he did not sign by June 15, the Chargers slashed the offer to $630,000. The team placed McNeill and Jackson on the Roster Exempt List in August, which precluded them from playing in three games after signing and reporting.
    Norv Turner said he expects McNeill to be ready to play Oct. 17 at St. Louis, the first game he is eligible.
    McNeill appeared as fit and trim as he has since being the team’s second-round draft pick in 2006. Still, he mist get in football shape and the Chargers have told him to take it slow.
    “It feels good,” McNeill said. “I feel real excited, ready to be back started. I was real bored sitting at home, working out every day, not being around teammates.”

3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    CHARGERS: LT McNeill reports, eyes Oct. 17 return

BY TOM SHERIDAN - tsheridan@nctimes.com North County Times - Californian | Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010

SAN DIEGO -- Jacques Cesaire was ready with a big needle to welcome Marcus McNeill back to the Chargers fold on Monday afternoon.
    "Our savior," Cesaire playfully shouted across the locker room to McNeill at the Chargers practice facility in Murphy Canyon.
    Cesaire said he was just playing around with McNeill, the 6-foot-7, 336-pound left tackle who signed a one-year tender offer with the team on Saturday to end a three-month holdout.
    "Marcus knows how to throw the jokes back," Cesaire said. "He's had a lot of time on his hands to think about jokes, so I'm sure he has plenty of them in his pocket."
    The holdout was no joke, though. It stemmed from McNeill's desire for a long-term contract.
    "It feels good," McNeill said of his return. "I'm feeling real excited. Just ready to get back started. (I grew) real bored sitting at home, just working out every day, not being around your teammates and things like that. So I'm very happy to be back and ready to get in the swing of things."
    The Chargers placed the two-time Pro Bowl pick on the roster-exempt list in training camp so he will have to miss three games before he is eligible to return on Oct. 17. The Chargers play the Rams in St. Louis that day.
    Head coach Norv Turner expects McNeill -- who said he has been working out every day and spent some time training in Florida -- to be ready by then.
    "I think we can get him up to speed by the time he's scheduled to return," Turner said.
    Brandon Dombrowski will continue to start at left tackle until McNeill is available.
    By most accounts he has done a solid job for a Chargers offensive line that has allowed seven sacks this season and helped the running game achieve a respectable 4.4 yards per carry. The Chargers also rank No. 1 in the league in passing behind the play of quarterback Philip Rivers.
    Turner on Monday praised Dombrowski as a "warrior" and a "tough guy."
    Still, Cesaire said McNeill's return is a welcome one for a team that has experienced its typical September doldrums, stumbling to a 1-2 start.
    "He's a great teammate, and you know that he's a great athlete," Cesaire said.
    "Dombrowski has done a great job filling in for him. But you know what kind of athlete and what kind of player you get (with McNeill). Obviously, he's a Pro Bowl player. It's always good to have a Pro Bowler back in the lineup."
    McNeill's holdout prompted the Chargers to reduce his contract tender offer to $630,000, an amount that will be further reduced to just over $400,000 because of the five games he will miss.
    McNeill insists that he is not bitter over the contract impasse and believes he has a future with the organization.
    "I never felt like it was anything malicious," McNeill said. "I never felt like me and the Chargers were on bad terms. I just felt like it was time for us to talk about contracts and things like that because I had finished out my first contract. And I think that's all it was. It was real business-minded."