1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill practices, could play Monday

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Sep 17, 2008

Chargers offensive tackle Marcus McNeill had a little different look when he returned to the practice field Wednesday afternoon.

“Guys are teasing me saying I’m in competition with Chris Samuels for the biggest neck roll in the league,” McNeill said, referring to the Washington Redskins tackle who wears a large attachment on his shoulder pads.

McNeill was back on the practice field for the first time since August 4 when he suffered a stinger in his neck. He was wearing a specially designed neck roll to keep his head from moving too far back, but McNeill said he felt good as he participated in a limited portion of practice.

“I’m not having any pain,” McNeill said. “I haven’t had any pain since the actual incident on August 4. After that it was kind of stiff and then it was a preventative effort to make sure it didn’t happen again. That’s why I had to wait so long (to get back on the field).”

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner said that his two-time Pro Bowl tackle has a chance to start Monday night when the Bolts host the Jets. McNeill doesn’t have a hunch as to whether or not that will happen.

“Physically I feel 100 percent and I’m ready to go out there and play, but I don’t want to hurt the team and go out there if I’m not ready,” McNeill said. “I’ve been trying to keep up with the physical aspect of everything. I want to play, but L.J. has done a great job. We’ll see what happens.”

While McNeill was back, running back LaDainian Tomlinson and defensive tackle Jamal Williams missed practice. Tomlinson is trying to rest his sore toe while Williams took the day off to keep the weight off his sore knees.

Tomlinson reiterated Wednesday that he didn’t feel any worse on Monday after playing on the toe than he did last week. LT said he actually feels better than he did a week ago. He and Turner are confident LT will be available against the Jets, but Turner is hopeful he’ll get his star on the field this week as well.

“I’d like to see LaDainian practice, but if his toe doesn’t let him, it doesn’t,” Turner said. “We’ll make the best out of the situation as it is.”

Center Nick Hardwick (foot) was also limited in practice, while safety Clinton Hart practiced with a cast on his right hand.

Still special

Primetime football always has a bit of a special feel to it, and Chargers players said Wednesday that they enjoy playing under the lights and being on Monday Night Football.

“Every game of the whole week has been played,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “There’s not but one game on and you’re playing in it. Growing up, that’s the game you watched.”

The Chargers are 16-13 all-time on Monday Night Football and have won their last two such contests, last season against Denver and at Oakland in 2006.

“You know everybody is watching,” Hart said. “You know if you make a play people are going to be talking about it. It’s definitely special.”

Two for two

In Week 1, it was a forced fumble against the Panthers. In Week 2 it was an interception of Jay Cutler in the end zone.

In each of his first two professional games, Chargers cornerback Antoine Cason has delivered a fourth-quarter turnover that gave his club a chance to win.

“Hopefully I can keep them coming, but more than that I hope we can make one of them count so I can really enjoy it,” Cason said.

Filling in

Chargers linebacker Tim Dobbins saw significant action Sunday in Denver as he rotated with Matt Wilhelm at the “Mo” linebacker spot and recorded five tackles, including one for loss.

“I thought he did good things,” Turner said. “I thought he was very aggressive.”

Dobbins nearly delivered the defensive play of the day when he scooped up Jay Cutler’s fourth quarter “fumble.” The third-year veteran will likely continue to see his role on defense grow.

More Sproles

Darren Sproles’ 307 all purpose yards last week marked just the 23rd time since the NFL merger that a player has gone over 300 yards in a game.

2. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Nov 29, 2007
    I think our offensive line has been playing damm good esp Left Tackle!:tup:
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Aug 14, 2006