1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill To Get Long Term Contract?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Sep 30, 2010.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Saw this posted on RapidReports and not sure if anyone pointed this out.

LT Marcus McNeill said he ended his holdout because he received a verbal agreement that he will receive a long-term contract. "That's what I needed, the assurance that I will be here as a San Diego Charger," McNeill said.

If true, good news. Also, if it is true, do you think that AJ is happy that he said this publically? Seeing how secretive AJ is, I'd be surprised that he would want MM to say this.

2. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    If this is the case, it has everything to do with AJ being called out in the media by Vj's people and other GM's. Whats changed? Why offer the guy a multi contract now? Not good enough before the season, yet 3 games in everything changes?

This makes Aj look very stupid.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    You know what makes you look stupid.....EVERYTHING YOU POST! ******* clown troll take a hike.

It undermines AJ's motives for allowing him to hold out if he goes and offers the guy a contract. I think WHEN he actually gets the cotract will be very telling.

• Like Like x 2
  4. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Then follow me around and ride my nuts! I have no problem with groupies. :)

5. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Wow!!! Ya know something....? Maybe you're right. AJ crumbled to the pressure of the media and VJ agents and now running with his tail between his legs. :rolleyes::rolleyes: Duh!

• Like Like x 1
  6. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    that was deff rep worthy

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That was a good one man. I got him on ignore anyway. Hilarious! :pointlaugh:

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    MM will get his bank when it's time and not before then.

9. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    do you want me to cal a

WWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABULANCE for you?

• Like Like x 1
  10. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    no, the crap you post is better then what I can find on any TV channel right now, so I'll stick around around and read what you post.

I had a really shyttyyy day and your garbage makes me laugh.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If true, why the hell didn't they do the same thing 3 months ago?

12. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Why didn't BigMac sign his tender 3 months ago? Notice how the long term contract follows the singing of the tender?

13. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Probably so they can rub it into VJ and his agents' noses.

Good for McNeill though. Plus it's not like the Chargers weren't trying to sign him (I remember reading they almost agreed to a deal last season)

14. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Probably because he and his agent thought they could get more money by playing hardball 3 months ago...and it didn't hurt the Chargers position that Dombrowski was keeping Rivers upright through the first two regular season games.

15. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Give me a F'king break! If AJ had given verbal assurance to either VJ or MM way back when then they would both be in camp and starting on the field that first week!

You know, I know...hell everybody knows it now!!

16. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I think AJ realized that we need a better RT and he assured MM his contract so he would sign earlier and then Dombo will be moved back to RT as soon as MM is back on the field. I think AJ thought he wouldn't have enough time to work out a long term deal with MM so he made a verbal commitment to get him playing sooner, boosting our OLine on both sides.

17. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    BS. The Chargers have said from day one that Marcus is in their long-term plans. They said they were going to do Gates' deal before any others. They felt Gates had earned that. Once they signed Gates they were going to look to MM. But they weren't going to negotiate with a holdout. They wanted him to sign his tender and report on time. He did not. The Chargers have made it clear that they will not be strong-armed by player holdouts.

VJ is another story. They do not want to pay him the kind of money he's looking for. They have deemed his personally issues too much of a liability.

When MM signs a long-term deal in the next few months, it will come as no surprise to anyone who pays attention.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    A.J. rescuing a busload of nuns would look stupid to you. I don't know if he slept with your wife or what, but you really seem to have some crazy beef with him.

19. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    tyeah--- what he said... take a hike troll.

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    And Marcus has already said that he has talked with AJ, and that he feels very comfortable, that is very important. He knows he is wanted and he will get a deal that will pay him.

21. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Don't you think Vincent Jackson would be returning with the same promise if this was happening because AJ was caving to media pressure?

When has AJ ever caved to media pressure?

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I agree to an extent.

If he gets the contract very soon I'll be a bit worried. As I've been saying throughout all these debates, it sets poor precedent if he shows he's willing to cave to strong-arm tactics and if MM gets this deal right away I think he's caving. (to MM and his agents, not to the media)

If McNeil doesn't get his deal until the offseason, however, then I think it's a simple matter of appeasing McNeil and still keeping him in the line for his extension. I would be ok with that.

23. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    At the very least I dont see MM gettin this *promised deal* before he gets at least a 1/2 season of work in.

24. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I wouldn't have a problem with McNeill getting a deal by midseason, it'll backup what AJ has done his time here as GM. He rewards his guys.

Now if he gets a deal before he plays then it'll look like they pretty much agreed to getting a deal done before the 3 games were up.

25. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I still think AJ has many reasons for doing what he does but can't help but think that LT deals always take time and in order to get the player in TC he just wants to get them to sign the tender and get them in camp working with the team and while the player is doing that (and not falling behind) AJ can then work with the agent on a new contract. If you try and work out a contract before TC, we all know they can get ugly (Revis) and can delay getting the player into camp. Smart strategy if you really think about it.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    All these acronyms are killing me. Can't we just write the words out?

I'm mainly focused on "LT deal" When I first read it I thought "LaDainian Tomlinson deal?" thinking he was about to give McNeil and absurd contract.

Then I though "left tackle deal?" which made more sense but was awkward in the verbiage.

I now realize "LT deal" means long-term deal. Is typing "long-term" really that hard?

27. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Really? That's what it means? shieeettttt...

28. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    :banghead: :tounge: :lol:

29. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    WOW. LONG TERM. LOL I was actualy gonna comment originaly when I saw this thread title that it sounded more like LT as in Ladainian deal. Damn even after reading through the thread I didnt even think to connect Long Term contract consideration to the LT in the title.

And I think I agree Leo there seems to be alot of abreviations and acronyms used too many times in one post. Im of course guilty of goin with the short and ez to type *tho I am not on a cell* vs extra spellin and butchery of the english language.

30. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    How does "McNeill to get Ladainain Tomlinson contract?" make sense to you, yea maybe for a second you think that until you realize it doesn't make sense.

I mean do you get confused when people say we need a new LT (as in Left Tackle)?