1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNeill's deal down to final details

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010

All that remains is some haggling over details.

Marcus McNeill is expected to sign his five-year contract extension after practice, but finalizing the deal could also take until later tonight.

The Chargers are seeking language in the contract protecting them should McNeill's spinal condition prevent him from playing at some point.

The wording of that language is still being worked out.

McNeill has spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spine. Injury can aggravate the condition, such as when McNeill was injured in training camp in 2008 and missed the season's first two games. Those were the only two starts McNeill has missed in four seasons.

Redskins tackle Chris Samuels has stenosis and retired after last season, his 10th, following a collision that rendered him temporarily paralyzed.

Whenever the deal is finalized, McNeill will be a lot richer.

The guarantees in the deal total $24.5 million with the total potential worth being $48.5 million over the life of the five-year deal.

McNeill's guarantee and average is in line with what other top left tackles have signed for in recent years.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Deal with Chargers will pay LT McNeill $48.5M over five years

• By Jason La Canfora NFL.com
    • NFL Network Insider
    • Published: Oct. 13, 2010 at 01:51 p.m.
    • Updated: Oct. 13, 2010 at 03:20 p.m.

The five-year contract extension that San Diego Chargers left tackle Marcus McNeill agreed to Wednesday could be worth as much as $48.5 million, according to league sources.

McNeill's deal includes as much as $30 million during the first three years. That and the total figure put the two-time Pro Bowl selection in line with the highest-paid offensive tackles in the NFL.

At this point, it isn't known how much of the total is guaranteed, however. Base salaries aren't guaranteed and offer no protection against future injuries or release.

McNeill, a fifth-year pro, has been activated from the roster-exempt list after signing his tender offer two games into the season, then missing three more games as stipulated by being placed on the roster-exempt list.

McNeill, a restricted free agent this offseason, rejected a one-year, $3.168 million tender offer from the Chargers, then skipped training camp, all four preseason games and the first two regular-season contests. The Chargers reduced their offer to $630,000 and placed him on the roster-exempt list.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...eill-485m-over-five-years?module=HP_headlines

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Sounds to me like McNeill got his money.

I wonder why a deal exactly like this couldn't get done 2 months ago, was he asking for a lot more at the time? Cuz this is exactly what I figured he'd have gotten in the first place, roughly 50 over 5yrs.

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    bsbb thinks (and I agree) that at the time, Gates was next in line, so the Chargers wanted McNeil to sign his tender and get in line behind Gates, once he refused the Chargers wouldn't deal with him. The Chargers (Spanos, I think) basically said so "sign your tender and we'll see"

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Sounds like a not bad amount. Not as highest in the NFL at LT, unless he doesnt get injury opted out too soon. Which is good there needed to be a injury claus for the neck injuries he has endured in his time. I guess these have been a result of the bone thinning in his spine?

Hope he can stick around and earn this contract.

6. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Why wasn't this done 2 or 4 mos. ago? Why wasn't this done during the summer? Was it all because McNeil held out on the tender? What the hell was Smith doing? What was Mac's agent doing? Were they even talking? Why the hell did this take so long? None of it was worth it, right from the get-go.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah the only thing I can think of is that McNeill wanted 6yrs 60mil like DaBrickashaw Ferguson.

FAs now coming up....
    Weddle
    Floyd
    Siler
    Burnett
    Dombrowski
    Naanee

No wonder AJ is penny pinching.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Dang, we gotta keep all of them, but I know we'll probably lose 2 or 3. Floyd deserves it definitely. Cant lose Burnett, Weddle, Siler. I know AJ will do the right thing. I don't even know the new CBA will affect the the cap, etc. Tough decisions, but that's why AJ get's the big bucks...

9. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think it's pretty simple why Marcus did not get done earlier. The Chargers prioritize player extensions. They do them one at a time to make sure they have enough money/cap room to extend the most important players. Gates was first on the list. Until the Bolts saw how much it would take to re-sign Gates, they did not know how much they'd have left for Marcus. But by the time Gates' deal was done, Marcus was a no-show and the Chargers don't like negotiating with holdouts. Now that Marcus' deal is done, I hope they will extend Floyd.

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Of that list and the rest of this season still permiting, I would have to say Weddle is the next in line. I as a biased player fan would say Legs over Floyd but I wont M80 has been here a little longer and spent just as long breaking into the lineup. That and SILER RESIGN this guy TODAY!!

IF I couldnt keep em all, I think the bottom of the list for me would be DBrow and Burnett. I dont want to see any of them go, but if you put my hand under a drill press, I would say those 2.

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    UPDATED: McNeill deal done

By Kevin Acee
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010

[​IMG]

Two-time Pro Bowl left tackle Marcus McNeill is close to a contract extension.

Marcus McNeill has agreed to terms and will sign his contract extension Thursday morning.
    “I think it came together perfectly,” McNeill said Wednesday. “Both sides got done what they wanted to get done.”
    The virtual guarantees in the deal total $24.5 million with the potential worth being $48.5 million over the life of the deal. There is $30 million in the first three years of the extension.
    Additionally, McNeill will receive $1.8 million in new money this season, which essentially brings him in line with what he was originally supposed to make in 2010, prorated over 12 weeks instead of 17.
    McNeill's guarantee and average appear to be in line with what other top left tackles have signed for in recent years. McNeill is a two-time Pro Bowler and was playing his best football at the end of 2009, when he did not make the all-star game.
    “The deal was a true compromise,” said Alvin Keels, McNeill’s agent. “Marcus agreed to play the 2010 season at the original tender amount with added protection against injury, and the Chargers agreed in the new years going forward to pay Marcus in line with the elite at his position.
    “The main objective for Marcus was to get back on the field, first and foremost. And we are grateful the Chargers thought high enough to extend added security while doing so.”
    The final negotiations included language in the contract in which the Chargers sought to be protected should McNeill's spinal condition prevent him from playing at some point.
    McNeill has spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spine. Injury can aggravate the condition.
    McNeill hurt his neck in training camp in 2008 and missed that season's first two games. Those were the only two starts McNeill has missed in four seasons. He had surgery the following offseason and started every game in 2009.
    McNeill had been close to getting an extension in 2008 when he hurt his neck.
    It was fear of not being protected in the event of injury that prompted McNeill to not sign his original one-year, $3.168 million tender from the Chargers this offseason. The team reduced that tender to $630,000 when he did not report by June 15 and he lost about $37,000 every game he missed once the season began.
    But McNeill had remained respectful throughout the process, even coming to San Diego in August to meet with Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith. When McNeill decided to come back Sept. 25, it understood he would get a multi-year deal quickly.
    “Contrary to reports, nothing was ever promised,” Keels said. “Marcus just felt it was time to get back to work and the business side would take care of itself.”
    It did.
    “I wanted to be here, they wanted me here,” McNeill said Wednesday. “But there was business side we had to take care of.”