1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

McNugget benches Marshall for Broncos finale...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    per Trey Wingo via twitter...

"storm clouds brewing in denver. with playoffs on line.. Josh Mcdaniels benches brandon marshall.. citing "accountability". oof"

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    WR Marshall won't play in key finale

ESPN.com news services

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Friday that he was benching Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall for the team's critical season finale Sunday against Kansas City.

McDaniels wouldn't directly address the reasons for his decision, though he mentioned accountability and said several other players will play Sunday with injuries worse than Marshall's. Marshall tweaked his right hamstring at practice Wednesday.

Marshall said he didn't want to get into a war of words, but he did note that McDaniels never played professionally to realize how difficult it is to compete while you're hurt.

"Coach never played in the NFL," Marshall told reporters after the decision, according to KDVR-TV, Denver's Fox affiliate. "I'm going to handle this professionally."
    The two had a rocky start together, culminating in Marshall's suspension during training camp for insubordination, but they had patched up their differences during the season.

Marshall had sat out practice for the second straight day Thursday with a strained right hamstring that he suffered running a route. McDaniels said Thursday he wasn't sure how serious the injury was.

Marshall was recently named to his second straight Pro Bowl honor and has caught at least 100 passes for three straight seasons.

There are at least 10 different scenarios that can allow the Broncos (8-7) to get into the postseason. The simplest is if two of these three lose: Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the Jets.

The Ravens travel to Oakland, while Pittsburgh plays in Miami and the Jets host AFC North champion Cincinnati.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4788055

3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    NFL fines Stokley $25,000

Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The NFL has fined Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Stokley $25,000 for making contact with an official that led to his ejection from last weekend's game at Philadelphia.

Stokley said he plans to appeal the fine.

The 11-year veteran was upset over the lack of an interference call on a third-down play in the first quarter against the Eagles when his route was disrupted by a defender.

Seeing no flag, he sprinted down the field and started yelling at back judge Todd Prukop, who pointed for him to go to his sideline. As Stokley started to run off the field, he spun and swiped his right arm in disgust, inadvertently slapping Prukop's hand.

4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    And people think we have problems? :lol:

5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  6. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    To be honest, I do not know what is more sickening:

--The over-inflated ego of Marshall for routinely showing through his actions that he feels he is above the team?
    --The over-inflated ego of McDaniels for routinely believing that he has "the magic touch" and can pretty much do whatever he wants, believing that it will pan out in spite of the most basic of logic and that it shows little regard for individual players?

If Marshall keep up his act, teams will be less and less likely to take a chance at him when (not if) he leaves Denver, and if McDaniels keeps up his act, he will be unable to attract talent to his organization.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Broncos Bench Marshall for Season Finale

:lol:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4788055

WR Marshall won't play in key finale

ESPN.com news services

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said Friday that he was benching Pro Bowl receiver Brandon Marshall for the team's critical season finale Sunday against Kansas City.

McDaniels wouldn't directly address the reasons for his decision, though he mentioned accountability and said several other players will play Sunday with injuries worse than Marshall's. Marshall tweaked his right hamstring at practice Wednesday.

Marshall said he didn't want to get into a war of words, but he did note that McDaniels never played professionally to realize how difficult it is to compete while you're hurt.

"Coach never played in the NFL," Marshall told reporters after the decision, according to KDVR-TV, Denver's Fox affiliate. "I'm going to handle this professionally."

The two had a rocky start together, culminating in Marshall's suspension during training camp for insubordination, but they had patched up their differences during the season.

Marshall had sat out practice for the second straight day Thursday with a strained right hamstring that he suffered running a route. McDaniels said Thursday he wasn't sure how serious the injury was.

Marshall was recently named to his second straight Pro Bowl honor and has caught at least 100 passes for three straight seasons.

There are at least 10 different scenarios that can allow the Broncos (8-7) to get into the postseason. The simplest is if two of these three lose: Baltimore, Pittsburgh and the Jets.

The Ravens travel to Oakland, while Pittsburgh plays in Miami and the Jets host AFC North champion Cincinnati.

8. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    LOL! And it's not like they're falling apart because they're a discontented 2-13. They have a shot at the playoffs and still they can't keep their **** it check. Chumps.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I hope McDaniels keeps it up. :abq1:

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Broncos Bench Marshall for Season Finale

Watch they lose and miss playoffs :lol:

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    watch they lose and miss playoffs :lol:

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    It is possible they could lose, but I doubt it. I think it is funny that they could win and still be out.

13. Altomb

Altomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I REALLY hope this blows up in their face(s). Maybe his replacement will drop a pass in the endzone for the win with no time left on the clock resulting in no wildcard. That would get the New Year off to a great start.

14. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Marshall and the starting TE are being benched. Denver doesn't seem to want to be in the playoffs. :no:

But if they were playing a decent team on sunday, instead of the Chiefs, it could be different.

Either way F-Denver. :icon_twisted:

15. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    The the blue hell is Scheffler being benched? I was going to just say that he is their only hope, but...it makes no sense.

Seriously McDumbass, if you want to lose this badly, just start Simms. :tup:

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Scheffler was benched for "attitude problem" :lol:

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14106841

17. Altomb

Altomb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Who will catch the wide receiver screen they run on every other down. They just lost half their offense.:lol:

18. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I know TE Daniel Graham will be active, seeing that he is a co-captain and a former Patriot. And they say workplace favoritism is only a myth :icon_tease:.

[​IMG]

19. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    just a reminder... the donks could lose and still make the playoffs. it's not super likely but it is possible and we here all know about beating the odds.

This sunday i'm a chargers/jets/ravens fan :D

20. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Sounds good to me.

21. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    McDaniels calls out Broncos' inconsistent offensive line

Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Broncos coach Josh McDaniels called out his offensive line, holding them accountable for Denver's troubles running the ball.

Their response to the reproach?
    Silence.

The Broncos offensive linemen prefer to keep their mouths zipped out of concern for their wallets. If they do talk, they fine each other. When they don't, they subject themselves to NFL fines.

Talk about a dilemma.

They were especially reticent to chat this week after McDaniels again defended his running backs by blaming the blockers for the lack of production. The team is averaging 4.2 yards per carry heading into the season finale Sunday against Kansas City.

It's a pedestrian number for a franchise that hasn't finished with an average that low since 2001.

"If we're not winning the line of scrimmage, like I said before, it doesn't matter what back you have, doesn't matter who you're handing the ball to, you're not going to do a whole lot," said McDaniels, whose team is teetering on the edge of playoff elimination after a 6-0 start. "I'm not taking blame off the backs because they certainly can do a better job of reading certain plays and all the rest of that, but it starts with what we do up front."

It's been a long time since a coach in Denver called out his offensive line.

So, what do they have to say about all this?

Russ Hochstein insisted he would answer no football questions.

Ben Hamilton promised to talk next week.

And Ryan Clady said he had to go get treatment.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81566e9d&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

How about this... Don't Care!!!!

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Fu.ck Denver & little hoodie. :icon_twisted:

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

24. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851

Scheffler's not the one with the attitude problem. I would say the one with the problem is their new HC.

If things continue to go south between Scheffler and McDaniels, I would love for AJ to try to work a trade for him.

Adding Scheffler would give Rivers yet another weapon. Imagine Gates and Scheffler along with VJ and Floyd.

:abq2::abq1:

25. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Would we cut or release either Manumaleuna and or Wilson for the Scheffler spot?

Do not get me wrong I would love to see the combo of Gates and Scheffler, it will be difficult to keep some of the other talent on the team

We could cut Buster Davis for the Scheffler Spot. :lol:

26. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Hey, McDumbass, how about calling out your 2 2nd-string RBs instead of one of the best OTs in the league (Clady) and putting your entire offensive unit against you?

How about throwing Eddie Royal under the bus for being a complete non-factor outside of special teams?

Or how about underperforming Knowshon and Ayers, or some of the people on your team who actually deserve it? Or do you fear that would make you look bad because they are players you drafted and weren't "stuck with" by taking over the team?

Seriously, I hate the Broncos, and Mickey-Ds even pisses ME off.

27. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Trade Kris Wilson + 5th rounder for Tony Scheffler.

I like Wilson, but Scheffler is in another league by comparison.

28. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Ahhhhhhh, how nice to be in warm and fuzzy Charger Ville.

• Like Like x 1
  29. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    That actually seems like a trade they would accept, but I would be concerned with Scheff as a 2nd TE...he knows he is a starting-level TE in this league, and he may become a distraction if he feels he is not played enough.

Having him would also mean less PT for Naanee and Tolbert if he were the 2nd TE option, and his skills as a blocking TE are severely-lacking.

But another team can and will get a steal if they happen to snatch Scheffler.

30. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Agent Reacts to Broncos TE Tony Scheffler's benching

During the broadcast of Fox31 news at 5:00pm on Friday, Anderson reported that sources indicated Scheffler was over heard saying he wanted out of Denver following the Broncos 30-27 loss to the Eagles last Sunday.

According to these sources, there are members of the Broncos team who believe Scheffler was ratted out by at least one fellow player or coach to Josh McDaniels.

http://community.kdvr.com/_Agent-Re...y-Schefflers-benching/BLOG/1687965/96399.html