1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Meachem "tweeks" his knee at tonight's practice

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Meachem gives Chargers a scare Wednesday night
    Posted by Evan Silva on August 2, 2012, 12:26 AM EDT

Michael Gehlken of the Union-Tribune San Diego reports that Chargers receiver Robert Meachem suffered a possible injury in Wednesday night’s training camp practice. Per Gehlken, the injury was to Meachem’s right leg, and possibly his right knee.

Meachem has had right knee problems since his rookie year in New Orleans. He had the same knee scoped this past offseason.

Gehlken reports Meachem was able to walk off the field on his own power Wednesday night, which is a good sign. Coach Norv Turner stated in a post-practice presser that he doesn’t believe Meachem’s injury was anything serious, allowing that he still needs to speak to the Chargers’ head athletic trainer.

At this point, the injury sounds like no more than a tweak.

The Chargers signed Meachem to a four-year, $25.9 million contract in March.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Damn you don't scare me like that!

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I am sure Dr Chio will say it is perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Sarcasm. Very useful.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    It's the Murph turf monsters at work, don't believe me? just as Tonlinson.

6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    you know who was also able to walk off the field on their own power with a knee injury? Tom Brady
    so that doesn't mean anything.

Football is football and players getting nicked up comes with the territory but, the fact that our players are dropping like flies every day is a bit concerning

Meachem, Gaither, English (is anyone shocked?), Royal, Cason, Whitehurst, Gilchrist, Goodman, Bigby

7. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I'm thinking with the new player bargaining agreement and how teams only have 1 day practices I am thinking that the players are under conditioned and getting hurt easier.

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Bigby returns, Meachem OK

Atari Bigby is expected to return to practice Thursday afternoon.

The projected starter at strong safety has missed the past three practices with a strained leg muscle, leaving rookie Brandon Taylor working with the first team.

“You don’t want to rush out there,” Bigby said of the caution showed when he went down with “tightness” in the Chargers’ third training camp practice. “It’s early.”

Still, Bigby needs to be practicing as he and free safety Eric Weddle develop on-field chemistry and Bigby learns how to work in the Chargers’ defense. Bigby is the fifth starter at strong safety since Weddle took over at free safety in 2008.

“We’re still bonding in different ways,” Bigby said after participating in Thursday morning’s special teams walk-through. “In the weight room, in the meeting room we’re going back and forth.”

Bigby has primarily played in a 4-3 defense but does have experience in a 3-4.

"I know what's coming next," he said. My practices have been going well since the first day of OTAs. This is a good fit for me."

The Chargers will continue to be without many of their other injured players, including receiver Robert Meachem, who suffered a knee bruise on Wednesday night. Meachem is walking around and is not expected to be out long.

Receiver Eddie Royal is expected back in camp Thursday after going home to be with his ill mother. Royal, however, is expected to miss another week with a leg injury.

Starting cornerback Antoine Cason could miss Thursday's practice with a groin strain that is not considered severe. Linebacker Larry English (hamstring) and left tackle Jared Gaither (muscle spasms) are expected to be out at least another day.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Providence hasn't shown down on Larry English. He's one guy that needs a clean bill of health even if it's just making it through camp. I don't know what kind of pressure he's under and I'm sure it's playing heavy on his mind.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    More so than proper spelling? ;)

11. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +411
    Packaging is nice, but content is King.