1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Meet the New Bolts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 2, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Chargers entered the draft with very little actual needs. AJ Smith however by all reports got the players he wanted. The Chargers ended up taking Corner Back, Antoine Cason in the first round with the 27th pick, Running Back, Jacob Hester in the third with the 69th pick.
    AJ Smith traded up into the third round to grab Hester, giving up he second round pick in ’09, and a fifth round pick this year. AJ targeted the replacement for Michael Turner and went after him.
    In the fifth round with the 166th pick the Charges got Running Back, Marcus Thomas, in the sixth round with the 192nd Corner Back, DeJuan Tribble was picked by the Bolts, and finally in the seventh round with the 234th pick, the Bolts took Offensive Lineman, Corey Clark
    The Chargers took two Corners, two Running backs and added some depth to the offensive line. Each player will spend this summer trying adjusting to the pace of the NFL and attempt to earn a roster spot on a team that will have at the most 6 or 7 spots available.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    First Round Pick; Antoine Cason
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 190
    College: Arizona
    Conference: Pac 10
    Hometown: Long Beach, CA
    High School: Los Alamitos
    Antonie is a four-year starter who was awarded All-Conference honors the past two seasons. He is a shutdown cornerback who was considered to be ranked with the elite defensive prospects eligible for the 2008 NFL Draft. Given his additional role of handling punt returns this last season, Anonie is the first Arizona player to earn All-Pac-10 Conference accolades on defense and special teams in the same season.
    Antonie's game is compared by many analysts to that of Baltimore Ravens' cornerback Chris McAlister, who also hails from Arizona. He has a nose for the ball, making plays while the ball is in the air. He has long arms and reach to get to the ball at its high point, and could prove to be a very good addition to an improving Chargers secondary. He keeps plays in front of him. Opponents challenged him quite often in 2007, targeting 73 passes into his area, as they averaged 11.2 yards on their 23 completions, but he has very good timing and ability to deflect the pass, obvious by the 50 passes that his coverage assignments failed to catch.
    Antonie started all 46 games during his Arizona career. . In his only season as a punt returner, he totaled 271 yards with a pair of touchdowns on 27 attempts (10.04-yard avg). He ranks fourth in school history with 15 interceptions, gaining 349 yards and obtained a career average of 23.26 yards per interception return. He deflected 32 passes, caused five fumbles while recovering one. He also registered 253 tackles (196 solo) with a six-yard sack and 14 stops for losses of 43 yards.

3. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Third Round Pick; Jacob Hester
    Height: 5'11"
    Weight: 230
    College: LSU
    Conference: SEC
    Hometown: Shreveport, LA
    High School: Evangel
    This pick many Charger fans cringe at. Not because of who was chosen but the cons in getting the spot to chose him. As stated before, the Chargers sent a fifth round pick and a 2nd round pick to the Patriots in order to move up to grab Hester. Agree or disagree with the move, the Chargers nabbed a player who many said was the best receiving Running Back in the draft. Given the Chargers history for using Running Backs and Full Backs as pass catchers, I believe the Chargers saw a player who was made for their system and pulled the trigger to get him in Bolts.
    Jacob Hester was a key contributor, playing halfback during the Tigers' national championship run in 2007. He can block, and plays well on special teams, as a freshman and sophomore, he was mostly a blocker on offense for the tigers, but was also knwn as a fierce tackler on kick-coverage units, twice being named the Tigers' Special Teams Player of the Week.
    Hester has lined up at Half Back and Full Back and has shown grit as versatility through out his college career. Hester earned All-Southeastern Conference second-team honors in 2007 When he took over halfback duties full-time, rushing for a career-high 4.9-yard average.
    Hester knows how to protect the ball, in 364 carries, he fumbled only once. Again this fits the mold of what the Chargers like to see from their players.
    Hester has good chest thickness, a wide back, very thick thighs and calves and large hands to secure the ball before running...His best asset remains versatility he is a very good north-south runner, as well as an efficient blocker on pulls and traps. Hester has shown himself to be a solid receiver and a hard hitting tackler. .He has quickness once he clears the line much like Michael Turner had.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Fifth Round Pick; Marcus Thomas
    Height: 6’-0"
    Weight: 213
    College: Texas-El Paso
    Marcus Thomas is a big back that can play well. Though his size and build limits Thomas in the area of speed, but with a good vision for the game and the patience to find the right opening he can gain chunks of yards at a time. He has very good hands and can catch the ball; he has the strength to go through tackles and punish the opposing tacklers. He has good ball intelligence and the ability to see the holes. He has a tendency to run upright at times, which can leave him open to big hits.
    Thomas is a good inside runner and a decent pass blocking Running Back. He is a bruising back who will not give you a lot of direction changes or wiggles at the line of scrimmage. But his size and ability to hit a hole can wear down and opposing defensive line.

Sixth Round Pick; DeJuan Tribble
    Height: 5' 09"
    Weight: 189
    College: Boston College
    The Chargers have taken another mending player in the draft, hoping to continue their streak of finding stars in players who are coming off of injuries. Tribble intercepted 15 passes at Boston College and was among the top secondary players in college before 2007 season. But a sprained MCL knee injury, kept him out of the final three games late in the season.
    Tribble can explode out of cuts, and is good in man-to-man coverage. He has good knee bend in backpedal and can converge on the receiver quickly when going forward. He is an aggressive, if undersized player and attacks when the ball is in the air, He catches the ball fairly well and can be a playmaker in coverage.
    He has a bit of nasty in him, and can play the run exceptionally well for a smaller player. Tribble has good instincts and tends to take the shortest path to the ball and has the ability to make plays in the backfield.

Seventh Round Pick; Corey Clark
    Height: 6-foot-6
    Weight: 326 pounds
    Class Year: Sr
    Experience: 3V
    Hometown: Spring Branch, TX
    High School: Smithson Valley HS
    Clark is a nice-sized offensive lineman who should provide the Bolts with much needed depth at the Tackle position. He blocks with a wide base, and is strong at the point. He uses his body well and seals defenders from the action with good positioning. Clark is a scrapper who attacks blocks, and plays with a nasty attitude..
    Clark has good size and quick enough to beat defenders to the point of attack and picks angles that allow him to downfield block. He can cut off linebackers at the second level. He is a versatile blocker who can get around the corner when asked to pull and can be an effective lead blocker on screen passes. He play well against edge rushers, and he keeps his head on a swivel. Clark shows good instincts and awareness in pass protection and can adjust to blitzes and line stunts. He shuffles feet well and can redirect in pass protection.

• Like Like x 1
  5. zatoichi

zatoichi BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Hey Conc,

Thanks for putting that together. I wonder if you could give us scouting reports on the more notable UDFAs as well. Your insights are always appreciated.

6. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    Conc u r a gawd :bow::bow::bow::bow::clap:
    cant wait to see the pics from minni camp:tup:
    you going right?

7. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16

myself. need a good pic of Hester in his new digs.

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    leisure just soiled his chair after reading this... :lttehghost::puke::joke:

9. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    how's this... courtesy of L.T.21 at CFX...

[​IMG]

or this...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +16
    AWESOME!

time to start working on my sig for TigerForums:abq2:

11. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    you will have hundreds to choose from come Monday morning, either from here, Chargers or the U/T... "word" is, Norv's got him in all kinds of formations, even WR...

I can't wait for tomorrow...

it just struck me... Hesters #22... LT 21... Lincoln & Lowe revisited... :rockout:

12. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    That is great!

Check out this pic of Cason

[​IMG]

13. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I'm having a 60's flashback... :nana_rasta:

63 to be exact... now where's that Lombardi...

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    my gawd, he already can turn his head....:icon_rofl:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    That 20 looks a hell of a lot better than our previous 20.

16. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He's already better than Jammer!

:icon_rofl:

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    [​IMG]

18. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    REP 4 U:tup::tup::flag::yes::icon_toast:

19. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Will opposing offenses have trouble with Tribbles. :icon_rofl:

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I cant make camp, and my camera is dead...:unsure:

21. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Hey, I already said that if he doesn't work out, we could trade him to the Klingons, where he'd be no tribble at all. One of of my favorite episodes by the way-along with The Balance of Terror, Space Seed and Catspaw.

BTW-Up to you usual standards Conc. Grassiass.

22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Hey, I already said that if he doesn't work out, we could trade him to the Klingons, where he'd be no tribble at all. One of of my favorite episodes by the way-along with The Balance of Terror, Space Seed and Catspaw.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am seeing doule....

24. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    YOU ARE DEAD TO ME:icon_sad::tdown::icon_eek:
    NNNAAAAAW JUST MESSEN :icon_rofl:
    but ur s**** better ready 4 traing camp:yes::yes:

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice work, Conc. Now get the freakin' camera fixed & get yer *** out to mini-camp. I need information!!!!!!!!!!!!! :icon_tease:

26. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_rofl: I plan on being at TC with homebrews.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Speaking of homebrews - will I get to taste the legendary brew when I come out for the KC game? :icon_huh:

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    cha-CHING!

now does anyone remember when training camp opens up?

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    June 13th if I remember correctly, but that is off the top of my head...

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I will try and swing a ticket. If I cant maybe I can send you a care package with Trumpie...:icon_toast: