1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Mel Kiper's Grade A Chargers Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by NYCharger, Apr 3, 2014.

1. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Mar 12, 2013
    Top needs: CB, NT, WR, OLB

Round 1 (25) CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
    Round 2 (57) OLB Trent Murphy, Stanford
    Round 3 (89) OT Cameron Fleming, Stanford

Analysis: When the real draft happens, I'd guess Fuller is a likelier bet to go in Round 2, but I think he's worthy of this slot, and I could use more than one new addition at cornerback on this roster. I get an underrated pass-rusher in Round 2. If you went on productivity, Murphy can match up with any of the top pass-rushers in this draft, and he's a steal at this point. If a wide body like Louis Nix III fell this low, he'd be an option too. In Round 3 I'll go with Fleming, who provides immediate depth at either right or left tackle, and as a mauler in the run game could also move inside. In both the second and third rounds, I considered a wide receiver, with Davante Adams an option at No. 57, and Bruce Ellington a possible fit at No. 89.

Seems pretty good to me, although I don't know how you all feel about Fleming. What do you guys think?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Mar 25, 2012
    I like it, it is pretty much my ideal draft (position wise) If we can find a CB, OLB and OL in the first 3 rounds I'll be pretty excited.

Another idea, which I was listening to the Charles Davis interview on the Darren Smith show, I thought about if Houston (who have 11 picks) took Clowney number 1 (which has to be the choice) and if Cleveland chooses not to go QB until the 26th pick (another possibility) We could be an ideal trade partner for Houston to leap frog Cleveland and take Carr or another sliding QB in Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel

#33 Joel Bitonio OT, Nevada
    #57 Jeremiah Attaochu OLB, Georgia Tech
    #89 EJ Gaines CB, Missouri
    #101 Cody Latimer WR, Indiana
    # 121 Caraun Reid DT, Princeton

Other option with that trade would be to just take the guys who are listed above, Fuller (if he falls) Murphy, Flemming, while adding 2 more picks to that
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    I don't think Murphy is better than either Marcus Smith or Demarcus Lawrence; Murphy reminds me a lot of Jarrett Johnson in size and passion but I don't think he's a good pure rusher that we need. Fleming makes little to no sense, he's a pure tight tackle with the potential to be a guard. I'd sooner go Bitonio or one of the Tennessee tackles over Fleming. I do like Fuller though.

My suggestion
    1) Kyle Fuller CB Virginia Tech
    2) Demarcus Lawrence OLB Boise State
    3) Either Jawuan James OT Tennessee/Marcus Martin C USC
    • Like Like x 2
  4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Aug 14, 2006
    Don't love it. I'm okay with the Fuller pick, but Fleming and Murphy aren't my cup of tea.

Murphy isn't a great prospect because he's not very quick, and I believe he's reached the ceiling of his physical ability already, 57 is too high for a guy like him. I'm higher on both Chris Smith and Marcus Smith, much higher.
    • Like Like x 1