1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Mel Kiper's mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by DenverBolt67, Jan 20, 2013.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    New Mock Drafts from both McShay and Kiper

Kiper
    Jonathan Cooper
    San Diego Chargers (7-9)

COLLEGE: North Carolina​

HT: 6-3​

WT: 298​

POS: G​

[​IMG]

Analysis: I wasn't sure exactly where San Diego would go, but as I talked to people there and also went back to the tape myself, I was surprised at how urgent the interior line situation has become. The run-blocking in particular was a total mess, and it put too much pressure on the passing game. The passing game, of course, also suffered from inconsistent blocking. We'll see how free agency plays out, but I think the Chargers could be ready to focus on problems up front. Cooper fits the bill, can start immediately and should be able to upgrade this unit.

Cooper over Lane Johnson, Chance Warmack......yeah good luck with that one.

McShay

Record: 7-9
    [​IMG]
    Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma

Left tackle is the team's top need, and with the Chargers likely moving to a zone-blocking scheme, Johnson is a perfect fit. He could improve his overall strength and hand use, but Johnson has good mobility and can quickly develop into a solid pass protector for QB Philip Rivers, who has taken a beating in recent years. Current San Diego OT Jared Gaither lacks mental and physical toughness, and the team should strongly consider parting ways with him to make room for a player like Johnson.

Only person of interest still at this pick is Moore from Texas A&M

2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    Im interested in who he talked to, someone from within like McCoy or Telesco? Acee? or Bob down at the Shell Gas station

3. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,695
    First thought, Kiper is a complete idiot. He wasn't sure where we would go? Wow, why doesn't he just go out and say..."I don't know how to do my fu*king job, but some as$hole who vacuums the carpet outside McCoy's office told me they need a guard. Cooper? Over Warmack? WTF?

Second thought, it would be so hard to pass on Moore if he's there at 11.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,632
    Even if the Chargers are going to a ZBS which means they need athletic OL, no one in their right mind would pick Cooper over Warmack or Lane Johnson. And if the Chargers are going to remain a normal OL team then the pick looks even more moronic. Warmack has better value and is an overall better prospect than Johnson but its a matter of which is a bigger need as Bolts4lyfe mentioned.

Interesting note about Moore, he's considered a great pass rusher but ESPN doesn't rate him very highly for whatever reason. I'm thinking at the combine that Jarvis Jones might fall to us but Moore will likely be picked higher up.

5. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Back to the Alethiometer..

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Seems like QBs and at least one RB climb every dang year. I've mentioned this elsewhere - by the time the combine is over with, I am counting on 3 QB-hungry teams in the top-10 to do what comes naturally - that being the Chiefs, Cardinals and Bills, leaving us a great shot at Eric Fisher. Right now Warmack is my "Plan B", Johnson = "C"... Know it may be a bit narrow minded, but damnit I want that O-line fixed. <sigh>

6. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    Kiper must be smoking some strong **** if he think we'd go with cooper over the tackles that he mentioned

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    I agree but I have these 2 swapped

Fisher
    Johnson
    Warmack
    Mingo
    Jordan
    (Assuming the other pass rushers are all taken)

Now a lot of people are saying we are going to switch to a ZBS, If that's the case now is the time to do so, If we do it'll be pointless to bring back Vasquez, Trouttman being our only Guard on the roster probably won't make it,
    Even if we switch to a Hybrid system I think Warmack is too big and strong to play in any ZB form, where as Fisher and Johnson are both physical enough to play in both, therefore have my vote

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
  9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    His athleticism is moving him more and more into my must draft Now!

http://twitter.yfrog.com/5iuvccwzzjqszwzfiuzakploz

I still think he may struggle by being so raw but his ceiling is very high.

If in fact we do move to a ZBS getting an athletic LT is number 1 priority.

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,695
    Well if we ever run a tackle eligible...we know who the ball is going to.

That is amazing, but not very relevant to playing LT.

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    It's relevant in that it's hard to have slow feet and run a 4.67 40. It also means that on a screen play (I know, it's difficult to remember what a screen play is), he'll actually be able to get out there, and could even block for a WR screen.

It's not relevant to drive blocking though.

12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    It shows he can get to the second level to block, It also shows he'll outrun Ingam, Watt and other D linemen too:D

The one play I really loved was during during a practice (I forgot the defenders name but was more a well known defender) went for a fake move was going right and then juked left, Johnson bit for a second but was quick to get back and still never let the guy get by him

13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +836
    NFL doctors have given Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones a clean bill of health regarding early-college concerns about spinal stenosis.
    USC's medical staff wouldn't clear Jones to play football due to the spinal condition as a freshman. So he transferred to Georgia, received medical clearance, and went on to become one of the SEC's most feared pass rushers.Health concerns will ostensibly be a non-issue going forward regarding Jones' draft stock. ESPN's Mel Kiper insists Jones will be a top-five pick, but Rotoworld's Josh Norris expects Jones to slip into the teens; perhaps to Pittsburgh at No. 17.

14. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    So now I can go back to not buying into the hype because I just don't think he's the special prospect some are making him out to be. He looks smaller on tape than the 242 pounds UGA bills him at (I wouldn't be shocked if he came into the combine weighing that - and that being after spending much of the offseason thus far "adding weight"; he's already been downgraded to 6'2" from the 6'3" Georgia billed him at). And at 240 and change that still puts him about 15-20 pounds lighter than you want your 3-4 OLB's to be - and just looking at his frame, I'm not strongly convinced it can take another 15 pounds of bulk. His get-off at the snap isn't this elite thing it's being made out to be - it's actually pretty average, especially when held up alongside Von Miller, Clay Matthews, or even JJ Watt. And his ability to anchor is highly inconsistent (further indicative he's not as strong/big as some want to think) - I've seen him anchor against bigger, stronger OL but I've, at least half as many times, seen him iso-blocked and effectively handled by a TE (sometimes in the same games). I've just got legitimate concerns with how effective his power moves are going to be at the next level.

At this point I'd most certainly take Werner and Moore over him, and if we're talking looking at an undersized guy in need of putting on bulk to play the position, I'd just as soon look to a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round whose tape supports that he has dynamic explosion that, when paired with further developed strength and better hand usage to shed blocks as opposed to avoid them, has scary potential in Sean Porter. And I'm not convinced that Jones' Bulldog teammate Cornelius Washington doesn't have a better pro career, as going off the tape at least he has superior burst off the edge in pass-rushing situations than Jones does.

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,695
    I would add Dion Jordan to that list, he's considerably quicker off the line and has more upside athletically. I think Jarvis Jones will get the Marcus McNeil/Daquan Bowners treatment, and goes in the 2nd round.

Also...still not impressed at all by Barkevious Mingo, the guy may be a good athlete, but he doesn't have a shred of football instinct in his body.

16. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,070
    I don't know that he goes 2nd round - he's got less question marks (and more hype) than Sergio Kindle and that was the last "Top 15 lock" at pass-rusher I remember really taking a tumble clear out of the 1st.

But he's kind of on par with Courtney Upshaw - in the sense that if he doesn't blow up the combine in terms of athleticism his lack of ideal size/strength and the question marks on tape will drag him down to where his value as a 4-3 OLB kicks in (right around the 15-25 range). Dion Jordan is definitely more athletic, the issues with him are that he's pretty damn raw as a pass-rusher (in terms of technique and requisite upper body strength to have an effective bull-rush at the moment). However, he's got more upside as a coverage LB than Jones does (Jordan and Alec Ogletree will start being recognized more after the combine because they're probably the closest thing outside of uber-athletic safeties to the type of player it will take to man-up in coverage on the athletic TE's like Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis).

I think Mayock, particularly of late, gets overrated as being some fantastic analyst over the likes of Kiper and McShay - when really he's not more more than a pundit like the rest of them, he just had less pub a few years back. However, I do agree with him that this draft does lack true "top-end" playmakers at edge-rusher. There are guys that can and likely will be consistent, quality pass-rushers (8-10 sack a year type guys), but there's no "special" pass-rusher in this class that I can see, unless certain guys can either overcome being incredibly raw (and show better flexibility) like Ansah or manage to add the requisite bulk and not lose the high-end athleticism they currently have at the lighter weight (Sean Porter). In the grand scheme of things, the difference in the quality of pass-rusher (for the long haul) that you get from spending a 1st round pick (Moore, Jones, Werner - until he shows he has the athleticism to stand out from the pack, Jordan) versus a Day 2 pick (Porter, Cornelius Washington, Montgomery if he falls, Jamie Collins, Jenkins) is pretty negligible.

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,695
    Dion Jordan is a guy who I think has Pierre-Paul or Aldon Smith type potential, I prefer the players who aren't fully developed in college, when he bulks up a bit he's going to be a beast.

Ogletree is clearly a great athlete, but he is not a good ILB. He doesn't dissect plays quickly enough, or shed blocks well, or make really any impact plays. He may be able to move to OLB in a 4-3 and be more successful, but I don't see him being a good fit for us.

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +491
    yet year after year late round draft picks or UDFA become stars (or at least way overachieve) while "can't miss" prospects fail