1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Melvin Gordon "minor" ankle injury

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Hgrove99, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
  2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    Don't tell any of the legions of Ryan Mathews fans, they may start buying their jerseys back and claiming that the new guy is more fragile and we ought to bring him back...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Nah, I'm just happy Donald Brown is gonna get his $4M riding the pine this year.:coffee:

4. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Reich: We're going to run the ball more this year.

Telesco: Okay, let me get rid of our only bell cow RB, so we can use our first round pick and other picks to replace him so that we never have more than one top end RB. Okay, now that I have done that, did you hear that Donald Brown played for the Colts? That makes him the greatest! Yay Colts!

Oh, our new bell cow RB got injured. Say, now we don't have one. Gee, that's a bummer. What bad luck! Well, I guess not having a top end ball carrier is just something we couldn't avoid. I am not sure what we could have done about that.

Maybe the Colts will cut a RB! The Colts are neato! Their players are the greatest! Donald Brown is the greatest! Maybe we can get someone almost as good as Donald Brown. We've got another $4M to give for this year if he is as good as Donald Brown. Yay Donald Brown! Yay Colts!

Chaincrusher: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Most users in the forum:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
  7. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    He does have a lot of pressure on him because the team has not secured adequate cover for him if he gets hurt or even if he just needs some time to develop as an NFL player. The team needs to dump D. Brown and get a good RB that can be the primary ball carrier if Gordon is injured or is just ineffective. The team is delusional if it has concluded that any of Woodhead, Oliver or D. Brown is such a RB.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Please give this sh*t a rest already will you? It's getting a little f*cking old to read your rants about your man-love for Mathews and your hate for Telesco. You've said it a dozen times before- we get it. But it's a done deal... so for cripes sake get over it man... it's only raising your blood pressure and setting you up for the massive coronary. Give the Mathews love a rest...or go over to an Eagles forum and hang out there. NEWSFLASH.... MATHEWS IS NOT ON THE CHARGERS ROSTER.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    giphydeadhorse.gif

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Ricardo Matthews says hi :smiley face

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Agree with this sentiment, but it is getting a little worn out.

12. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    The funny thing is that I do not have any "man-love" for Mathews at all. I am amazed that this is what you think I am saying.

The focus on Mathews has always been as a case study in how to butcher a roster by Telesco.

It is not just that we kept D. Brown and failed to keep Mathews (an incredible combination of events in its own right), but also the impact of that single decision (failure to keep Mathews) for the rest of the roster.

The result of not keeping Mathews meant that we no longer had a #1 RB on the roster. This forced Telesco to have to try to get one and further forced Telesco to panic when it came close to our turn to pick in this year's draft and hear those imaginary footsteps of other teams that were never going to move up to take Gordon.

Had we kept Mathews, we could have not traded and selected Bud Dupree in the first round (at #17), could have taken Karlos Williams in round 4 to pair with Mathews and would still have next year's 5th round pick.

I like Gordon, but I would rather have Mathews, Dupree (or another first round player), K. Williams (or another 4th round player), and next year's 5th round pick.

The trade was not Herschel Walker trade bad, but Telesco has got to stop 1) creating roster holes by wrongfully not keeping useful players and 2) trading away draft picks for no reason at all (and if anyone thinks another team was coming to get Te'o or Gordon, I have an invisible bridge I would like to sell you).

His roster mismanagement is creating a drag effect on the team that is equivalent to the drag effect created by Norv Turner's coaching. In both cases, the team is not what it could have been due to the amazingly poor decisions of these individuals.

That's the point and having made it, I will move on unless anyone chooses to discuss it further.

13. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Bud Dupree was kicked out of practice by Mike Tomlin personally the other day.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I think your post about Dupree, while factually accurate, is about as misleading about Dupree as a post could ever be.

From what I have read about it, Dupree has been going through normal rookie growing pains. In some ways, his football technique is lacking as he never had to develop it because he was always the best athlete on the field (and may still be at times).

But Dupree, who was universally not just recognized coming out of college as a good character guy, but rather as a plus character guy, is feeling some early frustration at his progress so far and became a little frustrated during a practice, which evidences his drive and feeling of responsibility.

In short, it appears that Dupree has lots of talent, lots of drive and takes his task to heart. Yeah, it would be awful to have a guy like that on our team when we can have Tourek Williams and Law playing OLB for us. SMH....

15. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I really wish we had a rookie come in and fight with his teammates

16. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    How did you feel about Te'o fighting with Franklin?

17. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    That one is with two T's, smarty pants :p

18. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
  19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    • Funny Funny x 3
  20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Uhhh no it's not normal for a rookie to be KICKED OUT of practice for a day. I don't think that's happened to any Charger rookie in years

21. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    I am not saying that it is normal, just not unprecedented. I don't want to borrow too much from Allen Iverson, but we're talking about practice, not a game.

And further, I am saying that Dupree is a known good character guy.

This year at least Malcom Brown, Bud Dupree, Kelcy Quarles and a few others have been kicked out of practices.

Last year, Anquan Boldin, Kevin-Price Boateng, and a few others were kicked out of practices. A few years ago Joe Haden was kicked out of practice. In most cases, it means nothing just like it meant nothing when Te'o got into an altercation with Franklin.

We're talking about practice, practice, not a game....

22. OP Bolt

OP Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    In six months we will have a much better feel for whether the Gordon move was justified from a performance point of view. However, the repeated giving away of future draft picks is an unsustainable addiction over the long term.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I dont mind us trading up to get him. What I wasnt high on was the fact that we couldn't get a 4th or 5th or (even 6th) round pick in this or next years draft for the 2 spot swap.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The vast majority of late-round picks don't make significant contributions to a team. It's more about the players you get than the draft picks you give up, so long as you aren't doing anything Ditka-level stupid and trading your whole draft for one player. Giving up mid to late-round picks for players that turn into pro-bowl level contributors is not unsustainable. Giving up mid to late-round picks for busts is unsustainable.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    But with the draft being so uncertain, should you not improve your odds of hitting on those players? Why do you think the teams like the Ravens and Pats always have such great rosters? It's because they have so many draft picks they give themselves more chances to draft a player who can contribute.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Once Gordon's feet catch up to his eyes it will be all she wrote. This kid has some serious game and I can believe he might give LT some company at the top of the Bolt RB list. Least I can hope.

27. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Gordon and the running game have been somewhat disappointing so far. More than ever, I wish we had re-signed Mathews for less money than D. Brown and cut D. Brown to pay for the move. That way, Mathews could have been used as the #1 RB until Gordon adjusted better to the NFL game (assuming we had drafted Gordon anyway). Then, if/when Gordon proved his readiness by beating out Mathews, he could have taken over as the #1 RB.

28. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    This is 100% correct.

Even beyond that, the NFL draft pick trading points value chart has traditionally been skewed in favor of the team trading the higher draft pick, making trading back even more advantageous.

29. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I agree to this... and it would have been the wisest move... But its a couple months now that we know its no longer the case. So we can just all hope D. Brown gets cut and replaced by a vet cut or one of our undrafted backs (Dreamius Smith). If for nothing else, to save on the cap that is being used on him. On Saturday (Although against a very could Defense) our line didnt really create much push for Gordon. Hopefully that changes a little when Franklin returns, but at least unlike last season the backs are not often been met in the backfield. Its more like on the original line of scrimmage. You want your OLine to create some king of movement, but at least its not negative like we saw last season.

Also it could be a combination of our poor scheme and SEA committed to having 8 in the box but I think (hope) in the regular season, if Rivers sees that, he checks into a passing play. Gordon didnt have much room to work with but he should that he isnt that easy to bring down (most of the time the play was almost over though). He did have one play late in the 2nd quarter i want to say where it looked like a counter or misdirection play where it was a 2 on 2 situation. Either the tackle or TE engaged with a defender and a DB coming down to fill the hole and Gordon had the option to go inside or outside. He decided to go inside and got tackled for like a 2 yd gain. That could have/ should have been a big play but it wasnt.

First set of cuts have already started for us and thankfully, no surprise cuts so far.

30. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    After watching the game again, I don't think Gordon is the problem. Seattle's defense slap dicked our O-line the entire game, Hairston was completely out of his depth at left guard, and Chris Watt was pushed into the backfield multiple times. The few solid blocks they did set up for him were quickly shed, or the gaps were just so tight that there was no hole to run through anyway.

If there is one thing Gordon hasn't done well, it's pace. He's either bursting out of his shoes up field and getting knocked off balance in the pile; or he's stutter stepping waiting for the hole to develop when it closes on him. These are classic rookie RB mistakes, to the point where there is no excuse to be surprised by them.

And I'm not making excuses for the kid, like I said I would have kept Ryan Mathews too just because this rookie wall was so predictable. But I'm not worried, his issues certainly are not talented related, the game is just too fast.