1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Melvin Gordon this season...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Hgrove99, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Hgrove99

Hgrove99 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    In 2016 what does MG need to do in order for you to consider it a successful year? (Lets be reasonable) Yards/TD’s

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,725
    Run with the rock, make people miss, and score some TDs...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Stay a constant. And hold onto the rock.

3.9 ypc 250 carries.... 1000 yds...

If he can avg 3.9 then prob be closer to 275.

Considering we have been said to be planning to employ more 2 back forms, 300 isn't that unreasonable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Tds irrelevant as he still hasn't scored one.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This.

/thread

6. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    IMO, for Gordon to have a successful 2016 season for us, he needs to be traded immediately for a third round or better draft pick in the 2017 NFL draft.

Realistically, we are predicted to finish last by virtually every objective NFL analyst and we should be in the sweepstakes to get Leonard Fournette, an actually elite NFL prospect, instead of Gordon, a pretender with limited athleticism and now a questionable knee.

Trading away Gordon would give us a partial return and mitigate the damage done by the multiple idiotic moves at RB done by Tom Telesco (not re-signing Mathews, keeping Brown for more money, spending half a year's draft ammunition and ignoring the measurables (which Telesco has done repeatedly now with high draft picks such as Te'o, Gordon and Bosa) to get Gordon, et cetera).

It would also help the front office not to be confused by what Gordon isn't (an elite NFL talent).

Then, we could use lots of our remaining picks to build up the OL and DL.

With that approach, the offense could lean on Fournette more and Rivers less during Rivers' twilight years and we just might create a situation in which Rivers can ride off into the sunset with a Super Bowl ring on his hand.

I am not optimistic about this, though, because it would require the front office to recognize and admit its mistakes and understand how to correct them. It isn't good in this regard when your GM states in all seriousness that it was music to his ears when his first round draft pick (Bosa) proved to be a lesser athlete at the combine. Unfortunately, that suggests that he suffers from oxygen deprivation from having his head up his a$$, which definitely is not useful when it comes to him recognizing his mistakes and correcting them.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If he avoids breaking both collar bones. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. The Nose

The Nose Member

Ratings:
    +16
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Chain you be killing me sometimes... At times I agree with some of your posts, but its like ever forum needs a troll... @Blue Bolt We see what you did there... although it would have been nice to have Ryan Mathews as a #2 (this is obviously based on if he wanted to stay)

10. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Mathews can't stay if nobody offers him a contract. Nobody did.

Mathews played for a base salary of $1M last year with the Eagles. He didn't do that because we backed up a dump truck full of money at his house.

His family lives in California. He was raised in southern California. He went to college in California. His favorite player when he was younger was LT. If ever a guy dreamed of being a Charger and wanted to stay as a Charger, it was Mathews.

We kept Donald Brown for $3M in base salary last year. Mathews proved that he would have played for us for only $1M. When your GM pays three times as much for a crappy RB and lets a good one go that ultimately signs for very little, then your GM is a dumba$$.

Even before he played one down in PHI, I raised the question of what the Eagles would do with Murray and Sproles when (not if) they found out that Mathews was their best RB.

After we blew the Mathews situation and blew the draft to get Gordon, I suggested signing Chris Johnson. He ultimately ended up signing for $870K with the Cardinals.

Early in the season, Mathews proved that he was the Eagles' best RB and Chris Johnson proved that he still had plenty left in the tank. Mathews ended up averaging over five yards per carry and scored 6 TDs (and 6 TDs more than Gordon scored). At one point several games into the 2015 season, Mathews and Johnson were ranked #1 and #2 in the league in YPC.

We could have had both players last year for less than Brown's price tag.

This isn't some sort of hindsight either. I called out Telesco for not re-signing Mathews when it happened. I raised the possibility of signing Johnson when he was a free agent. I pointed out that Gordon's ceiling was that of a Ryan Mathews type RB. I correctly called every one of these things.

And now I am saying that our projected finish might put us into a position in which we could select Leonard Fournette in 2017 and that we ought to get him if we have the chance to do so because 1) Fournette is very, very good and 2) Gordon is a limited player that will never be truly great.

11. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    Right, because it would be much better if he "only" needed microfracture knee surgery. SMH....

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Too bad Vegas doesn't accept bets on the likelihood of Crusher responding to even the slightest perceived slight to Mathews' reputation...... I would've made an absolute killing. :laugh:

13. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +301
    I am not a Mathews fan. I am a Chargers fan, which means I get pissed off when our dumbass GM fails to keep good players when he has the chance to do so, needlessly trades away (wastes) draft picks, signs/re-signs free agent flops and misses on draft picks.

Mathews was clearly our best RB when Dumbassco failed to re-sign him. I don't like it when our GM makes our team worse over and over again and I didn't like that approach while at the same time keeping an inferior Donald Brown at $3M in base salary.

The guy should have a sign in his office that says, "Ask yourself when thinking about a move, will this move/non-move make our roster better? Don't make the move/non-move if the answer is no."

How can a Philip Rivers team be the third worst team in the NFL? It is because our GM has largely run the team into the ground by making mistake after mistake, simple, frustratingly easily avoidable mistakes.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    1000+ yards, around 4 ypc, 6+tds and less than 3 lost fumbles

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    Omfg. We are still talking about Ryan Mathews on this forum? As if it wasn't enough having my eyes bleed every time that clown stepped on the field. Good god get over it already.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Followed up by the inevitable Telesco bashing rationale..... I could've enjoyed an early retirement. If only they had English bookies in Vegas. :roflmao:

17. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +272
    My idea of success for Gordon?
    Simple: 16 games, 1200 rush yards, 10 TDs.

18. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Not only he's being mentioned by name, but also it follows up with the full dossier of the "actual" events to the said Gent's departure, according to Mr. CC!

19. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    They'd give you something like 1 penny to $1000.000.00 odds, knowing CC's proclivity for not being able to STFU. Not worth it as you 'd be able to find a penny on the ground for free and much more easily ;)

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I was betting on the relatively small cadre of people who are aware of the existence of this forum. ;)

21. Terry

Terry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.