1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Melvin Gordon to IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Dec 21, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    @UTghelkin Chargers placing RB Melvin Gordon on IR. Has cartilage damage, Mike McCoy says. Will undergo surgery.

2. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    To cap off a wasted 1st round pick.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Not good at all.

4. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Beginning of the end for Wisconsin ever having another 1st round running back or any in the NFL again. What an utterly wasted pick thus was.

5. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I should be walking around with a Virtual S (short for Sucker) on my back, since I was one of those idiots who got sucked into this guy's ballyhoo!

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    So, he's not going to get the rushing TD after all?

Though admittedly, most badgers would be in virtual hibernation by now. ;)

7. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Not to fear because he (allegedly) got a few in TC during last Summer while in shorts against the vaunted Chargers D similarly donned in short shorts! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Sucks for him, was hoping to see him get some more reps over the final games. Time for him to heal up, come back strong, and treat next year like a fresh start

9. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Comeback under a new coaching staff that can best utilize his skills.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I hope the kids mental condition is okay, some body parts heal very well and he can come back. He probably has nightmares of the first wave he has to fight through just to get back to scrimmage. He should get the purple helmet for this year. I wish him well in the future where ever this team finds itself.

11. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I hope he punches Reich and McCoy in the face after they get fired.

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    He's young and talented enough he should be able to rebound both physically and mentally.

I said Gurley was the only 1st Rd rb I would have taken, but I hope for Gordon to prove me wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
  14. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    This is just sad. Kid has potential, but no line to work with.

15. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Moronic offensive scheme, stupid-obvious run plays, horrible OL, RB by committee, & quick to get pulled by a greenhorn coach. It's amazing he got the 642 yards he did. Gordon could have doubled that on a team built to actually win games.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    Are you looking for a Seconder ?

Just in case ..............

SECOND !!!! [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    FIFY ...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    Everyone makes mistakes from time to time when it comes to projecting what college players will do once they get to the NFL.

The more involved I get into studying drafts, the more I realize that the philosophy of draft pick acquisition via small trade backs is sound and that trading up and surrendering draft picks is, for lack of a better word, a stupid approach in general.

That is, the best approach is the polar opposite of what our front office has done for three years running.

As for Gordon, I am not going to call him a bust yet, but he is obviously not worth the three draft picks we gave up to get him.

I find some of the excuse making here about how he would be great if we had a better OL to be an absolute joke that completely ignores Gordon's indecisiveness as a runner; his lack of elite explosiveness, cutting ability and power as runner; and his ball security issues.

And to add insult to injury, it looks like I have the answer to the question that I asked before the season began about what Chip Kelly will do when he figures out that Mathews is better than Murray. The answer is that Mathews is now the lead back in PHI and Murray has reportedly become the #3 back behind Mathews and Sproles only getting 2 carries versus ARI Sunday night.

Mathews is still second in the NFL among RBs in YPC at 5.3 (although his number is falling as the season progresses) and that number looks all the more impressive when it is compared to that of Sproles (3.8) and Murray (3.4) as the Eagles' OL has been terrible as well this year.

I wanted Bud Dupree at #17 for us and the jury is still out on him too as, after a quick start, the guy has spent half of a season stuck at 4.0 sacks, so maybe I was wrong about him. Lots of elite natural physical ability there, though, so I am not ready to call him a bust either.

That said, I think I was right about Mathews, Dupree, our 2015 #4 pick and our 2016 #5 pick being better than Gordon by himself. I continue to be utterly amazed at how our front office cannot see the most obvious of things that are there to be seen.

19. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    The FO tried to be too clever by 1/2 by trying to gain reasonably accessible "elite" level players in the draft in order to right the ship wronged by AJ's regime. In the process of a blind leading another blind, both LJS and Tom Minion sank the darn ship.

I do understand the hope on Gordon to turn things around, but the expectation at least for me, will remain very low. Going back to the very first game of the season against the Lions when the slate was very clean (I don't know how he did in TC but he wasn't too stellar in the limited touches which he got during the pre-season) Ameer Abdullah of the Lions who was a second draft pick left Gordon in the dust and at this stage of the season both Abdullah and the kid from AZ who was also chosen in the 2nd round make Gordon look like a 4th or 5th rounder. Todd Gurley is just in a league of his own as far as the 2015 RBs go and I think that is whom Minion was hoping for when he drafted upwards, but he ended up getting Ryan Mathew's jock strap carrier!

20. Rafael

Rafael BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Too early to tell. Be realistic.

21. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Being realistic goes in two ways. One is based on hope and the second on expectations. In Gordon's case, my personal "feelings" regarding these two sentiments are unfortunately in contrasting and opposite directions.

22. Rafael

Rafael BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    The man is not going to be let go because he did not set the league on fire on his first go. so relax and wait.

23. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I don't expect many (or any) to share my sentiments, but there it is. I am not wishing for this kid to be cut loose. As for your suggestion to "relax" and wait, I will take a rain check on both because I am steadfast on my resolve NOT to follow this Franchise to LA.

Football is an emotional game and when high emotions are not vested in any particular team, the game is not as enjoyable. With that said, one can be more objective and analytical about teams instead of looking at everything (mostly) through rose colored glasses. I suspect that from next year I will be watching NFL games very casually in a pedestrian manner with the remote clutched in one hand and flipping through many other channels in between. My A.D.D will be in its full and graceful order :D

24. Rafael

Rafael BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

Like you, I will NOT follow this club to LA, they Bolt and they are not my team anymore, but I hope SD has learned that Gordon has limitations and in order for him to deliver some return changes have to be made to the playbook and that line must get an offensive tackle in the draft with their first three picks and a Center which may come in free agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    One issue that you seem to be glossing over is that Gordon may have more limitations than was initially perceived to be the case coming out of college. I do not think it would be unfair to say that Gordon does nothing in an elite fashion although his speed, cutting and explosiveness are all solid. I do not think there is anything about him that makes him special and worthy of the first round pick we spent on him.

Regarding our OL, the biggest problem areas are LG and C where the pocket continuously gets collapsed on Rivers affording him no opportunity to step up into the pocket. When healthy, Dunlap and Barksdale seemed to do an adequate (not great, but adequate) job in pass protection, but at some point the edge rusher is going to get around the end and that is when the QB needs to have the chance to step up into the pocket. The problem is that we have no pocket due to the crappy play at LG and C.

Unfortunately, we need increased stoutness on the DL--two early draft picks there. Then, we can use our third and 4th round picks to take an OG and a C. I see OT as something that can and should ultimately be improved, but not as an immediate and desperate need like 3-4 DE, NT, OG and C are. We also need another ILB, FS, SS, CB, OLB, TE, 2 WRs, RB and P. There is next to zero quality depth on the roster.

26. Rafael

Rafael BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

27. Rafael

Rafael BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I was not positively impressed with Gordon, he runs at people not away from people, pretty much like Ryan Mathews did and we all know how that ended. Still he is a Charger and that is all we can say about for now,

I really fel the right side of the Oline showed decent performance we need a Center, LG was a disapointment, LT Dunlap may ot last much, when he was not put of the lineup due to a concusion it was ankle issues. A T has to be drafted and a Center could be had in FA. Watt is no good and should be let go.

My opinion to the draft is get a T, G, DT, WR. S, CB, draft leaders not athletes and with the money saved due to Gates, Weddle and Floyd, get a Center in free agency.

28. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    There is no way that Gordon is as good now as Mathews was for us. Mathews is currently second in the NFL among RBs in YPC at 5.3, which is amazing since Sproles and Murray are at 3.8 and 3.4, respectively. We never should have let Mathews go and we should not have drafted Gordon, much less traded up for him.

I am not saying that we are set forever at LT, just that we have many needs that are more urgent than LT at this point. The first two picks of the draft or at least two of the first three almost have to be defensive players. Our run defense has been a complete joke since Telesco has been GM (27th, 29th and 30th in YPC against in his three seasons). We need to man up the DL in the worst way.

This is even more important as 75% of our LBs have shown some real potential (i.e., everyone but Te'o) this year, especially coming down the stretch. The DL needs to keep the LBs clean so that they can make the plays that they are capable of making. We need real men on the DL, not finesse players like Reyes.

29. Rafael

Rafael BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1

30. Rafael

Rafael BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Mathews had 678 yards in his rookie season to GordonĀ“s 641, yeah like Ryan set the league on fire, they are even here, except for the more fumbles coughed up by Melvin. I am a big Mathews supporter but he is too fragile so we did okay to let him go.