1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Melvin Ingram out for season!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, May 14, 2013.

1. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    according to Spotrac we still have @ 6 million not counting Gaither's money which will be added June 1st

I believe We can still add Freeney and Starks if we wanted to

Ian Rapoport@RapSheet
    4m

To answer the questions: Yes, #Chargers are very interested in pass-rusher Dwight Freeney after Ingram went down. He visits SD tomorrow.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
  4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,378
    And here, I thought you wanted to get the top draft pick......... guess I was wrong. ;)

5. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +52
    Nobody could have foreseen this happening as early as it did. Thank god they got an extra body in Tarek Williams! You never, know...he may step into the void at OLB! ...he kinda has too!! lol

6. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    That's 3.5 sacks more than Larry got last year........ back up the Brink's truck for that kinda production. ;)

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,351
    Brinks truck? More like ice cream truck with our cap situation.:(

8. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    12 tackles and 5 sacks don't come cheap, you know. :laugh:

9. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    I'm all for Freeney coming to SD. Remember he was learning a new system under Manusky. He was/is one of the best pass rushers in the league and right now the best man available. I'm sure if Telesco didn't think he was I'm sure he wouldn't be bringing him in, in this desperate time. As far as money, looking at the deals that Dummerville and Osi got, both are still very manageable for teams that didn't have a lot to work with. The 5 million we have will hopefully get it done with room to spare to bring in Starks.

10. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Beggars can't be choosy, but "learning" or not, his stats weren't impressive for a starter. 12 total tackles...... WTF?

Freeney isn't a natural 3-4 OLB...... he's better suited as a hand in the ground 4-3 DE. He's also not a spring chicken. There's a reason he's still available at this late date. The Broncos had plenty of cap space to sign him after losing Dumervil, but then signed Phillips instead...... that should tell you something.

11. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    You typically are.

12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Only in guessing how your mind works/doesn't work. :p

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,583
    I don't know about the rest of it, but this is a very fair point. I don't have any deep stats on the Colts but we all know Greg Manusky, and it wouldn't surprise me to learn Freeney dropped back into coverage 80% of the time....and Chuck Pagano was not present most of the season.

But if it came down to Freeney or Starks, I'd take Starks and just pray English takes advantage of the fact that he's probably a starter on the depth chart now.

14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    True, but Telesco obviously feels Freeney can contribute, I'll admit Freeney's numbers last year were unimpressive. But even his 5 sacks 12 tackles are still better than anything we have on the roster right now and anything still available in free agency. If nothing more just the idea of getting to see Freeny attack Manning two times a year is more than enough to get me excited. Who know maybe another year with better coaching and a better DE group up front, his numbers will improve. This isn't the first time in his career he had a down year and turned it around with a double digit sack year.

15. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    No way we have 6M after the rookie signings, and we haven't signed Fluker yet. It was reported we had around $5.5M right after the draft ended. Probably not updated yet. After we get part of Gaiters cap hit back we would have enough, but i think it be real hard to sign Starks. Would have to do a lot of restructuring.

I do suppose they could just be planning to sign Fluker after June 1st. But regardless I feel like Telesco has a decision to make, and it's either a LT like Starks or Freeney. It's one or the other. What would you choose? I think I go with Freeney and hope Dunlap is more than we think he is, and hope we develop Harris and Becton into good depth LT's.

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,378
    Yeah, but that was in a different defense, and he was younger then. Some guys are just better as "hand in the ground" DE's....... I believe Freeney is one of those guys.

I get it, that we don't have many options right now, but I wouldn't expect big things out of Freeney.

17. TheAutumnWind

TheAutumnWind BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    So i did my daily google of "Chargers" to get the latest news out of the team, and I read the Melvin Ingram news...wtf. Bummer. Got to say, I was actually excited about the defense this year. Two days into the "season" and one guy gets a season-ending injury. Hope Ingram recovers from this, not just from the injury itself, but his career.

18. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Jaysus... woke up to this news this morning. Melvin was probably the one guy we could not afford (literally) to lose for the season. Wow. Over to you TT.

(at least it gives the draftee and some of the UDFAs a real long look now, I guess not many are banking on Larry to come in and start and produce)

19. ssnake86

ssnake86 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    If we sign Freeney is it possible we would switch to a 4-3 or more of a hybrid 3-4 D where we show a lot of 4-3 looks, and put Freeney in there as a DE with his hand on the ground? I mean, a line with Reyes, Liuget, and Freeney sounds frightening. Then we put Butler, Teo, and Johnson as our linebackers, and maybe Enligh/Williams as a situational pass rusher.

McCoy is always talking about building his team and scheme around his players and their strengths, this would fit that if we signed Freeney, no?

20. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    My guess is that if we sign Dwight freeney we might use him in a Barnes like role where obvious passing downs he goes in and rushes the passer only. That is where he would be most effective. My guess is the chargers would then use Johnson and maybe Williams as two down OLBs

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,357
    Freeney also has 34 QB hurries, which would have led the Chargers last season.

The Ingram injury is a huge blow. I assume they will IR him, but it's so early in the offseason there's a chance he could return before the end of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    No, there isn't.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Blame Dr Chao!!!!!! :)

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    The Williams you mean is the rookie Tourek?, you could see him playing over good ol Larry as one of the 2 down OLBs?

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,594
    He will be playing over Larry English after he gets injured and goes on IR again

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Hey, maybe Te'o has a couple imaginary friends that can play OLB

• Old Old x 3
  27. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    This should wind to be a very interesting season. Nobody has given the Bolts much of a chance this year and it will be good to see how the new FO and coaching staff handle the adversity. Players will play and someone will lineup at LT & OLB and it could turn out to be a shocker as there doesn't seem to be much faith heading into TC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. hash_tag_nat

hash_tag_nat KISS THE RING.

Ratings:
    +5
    Can't say that I am disappointed, they are making an effort. More than I could say for Norv and AJ. We're three months into the off-season, so nearly four months til the season starts. I am sure we will have more bodies at OLB before the season is even visible.

We shall see in the coming months, I honestly don't know why everyone is hitting the panic button. While Ingram is a huge blow on paper, none of us were sure what to expect from him this season. He's wasn't exactly a one man pass rushing wrecking machine. Though that was his rookie season with limited playing time. I don't think he make much of a difference by himself. Let's sit back and watch how the team adjusts throughout this trying time. That is where we'll see what type of cloth this team is cut from.

29. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +344
    lol, they aren't going to cut English. I mean we have no OLB's now, regardless of how little he has produced he won't be cut. I say it's time to bounce Clary, McClain, and Royal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +751
    Exactly, The cap money we'd save for those 3 would bu us our pass rusher and LT. I wouldn't even care if they chose to resign these guys for lesser money afterwards. This just goes towards my argument I had in a different thread about Clary making the kind of money he does putting us in a crappy situation, when half the money we're paying him could be going towards something actually useful.

• Agree Agree x 1