1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Memorial Day thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BFISA, May 27, 2007.

1. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    General George Patton insisted, "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."

Thank you, God...and all who have heeded our great nation's call to arms.

3. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  4. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    An email from A Brother in Sheboygan, WI-

All,

Tobin wrote, "People lined the streets, leading the parade were veterans,
    back then we still had WWI vets, and notable vets from WWII and Korea.
    Services were held at the little monuments in the town square or at the
    train depot."

Monday the SFA chapter will march with the Hmong Veterans in the Sheboygan,
    WI parade. We will probably be the only military group marching, but as
    Tobin described, there will be many marching bands, the Boy Scouts, Girl
    Scouts, VFW and American Legion. The streets will be lined for the entire
    mile and a half, 4 and 5 deep, standing for the colors when they pass and
    applauding the marchers.
    We have done this for ten years. Usually 10 SF and as many as 50 Hmong in
    BDUs show up.
    Following the parade we will gather at the Lao, Hmong and American Veterans
    Memorial, where there will be a ceremony which includes: laying a wreath,
    taps and firing a gun salute.
    I will read the names engraved on the Memorial of SF, Air America, and
    Continental Air Services dead in Laos and remember those I served with and
    especially remember those whose bodies I recovered.

Steve Schofield

5. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Trumpie, You Are Da MAN!! :yes: :tup: :icon_toast:

7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  8. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
  9. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Snoopy kicked the Red Baron's ***!! :tup: :icon_toast:

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    After the turn of the century, in the clear blue skies over Germany, came a roar and a thunder men have never heard like the screamin sound of a big war bird!

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,209
    <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ak4JgrNPwIc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ak4JgrNPwIc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
  13. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,976
  14. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
  15. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
  16. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +1,976
  17. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Onea these days, I'm gonna make it to Pearl Harbor for Memorial Day...that's jes gotta be an awesome experience.

18. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I need to visit there too.

19. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Yeah, you're gonna tell your G'Pa's story when??

20. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    December 7th ......

21. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    This is from onea The Brother's from Nor-Cal-

Guys,

Just returned from Los Molinos CA were our SFA Chapter (89) had its annual SFC Allen C. Johnson Memorial Service. Allen is our Chapter name sake and was KIA in Afghanistan.

We had a great turn out and was very happy to see representatives there from way down in San Francisco and Monterey there.

Congressman Wally Herger, CA 2nd Congressional Distinct was our Guest Speaker and then a C-130 Flyover from Davis Monthan in Tucson. Allen's little daughter also spoke and there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

This all in very very Northern CA. Having said that, after the Services we had a picnic and shared great food and adult beverages.

Interestingly the guys from SF and Monterey suggested that our three Chapter get together and share events. We are very small still, but do a lot of fun things going on. So we may do this in the future. I lived in Monterey for a couple of years and loved it down there. It would make for a very fun location for a SFA Convention.

Still have two more Memorial Day Services to attend and participate in. Then off for the summer.

Best to ALL,

John E. Cleckner Sr.

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Most appropriate...it's a story that should be told/shared :yes:

23. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    An email from that liberal bastion, Lynn, MA-

Well, today made up a little for Friday's long grind (Beginning with crashing my little pickup, including all kinds of frustrations including a new collapse of health insurance that leaves me writing a large check for surgery, and peaking with a very frustrating instrument training flight). My Blog is now working again and I'll be updating it from time to time. And I took a purely pleasure flight. Yesterday, apparently, it was too hazy to be fun (mox nix to me, as I was under the hood the whole time). Today the temps were lower (81 vice 92) so the haze was less for most of the day, at least until the setting sun hit it.

I couldn't get a plane till late-ish (1530) so I decided to visit my friend who is a member of the unit and also does contract work. His home is in a tourist area and the traffic was still heavy as the weekend's 500,000 visitors were still clogging the highways. No problem, as I flew over 'em. I did a typically paranoid belt-suspenders-and-string job of navigation, using maps and mark I eyeballs, VORs, in-panel GPS, and handheld GPS to make a flight I'd made dozens of times. And I evaded a murder attempt by a lady pilot who evidently slept through the stuff about untowered fields.

I tried to call my friend enroute but got disconnected. When I landed, he'd left a message on my cell phone. Ten minutes later I was riding in his truck, and ten minutes after that I was in his rustic log cabin home with his fiancee and two dogs.

I've never paid any attention to log homes before, but this was really, really nice, and built to last. He has twenty acres and only one neighbour, a man who prefers to be left in peace himself. But for all the privacy, they're ten minutes from the supermarket, or a spankin' new Lowe's. (Not to mention the airport, which is temporarily a mere 1800 feet or so... while they improve it and lengthen it for private jets).

I was reminded, actually, of Mike Rhode's beautiful riparian home. The buildings are as different as houses might be, but both are places that are full of peace and life. And that thought made me think of grimy urban protesters, choking on bus exhaust particulates as they protest for the Edwards campaign this weekend. **** 'em! Now, is that a peaceful thought or what?

Of course it wouldn't be an SF guy's domicile without an I Love Me wall. He actually has an I Love Me room in one of his outbuildings. It has an interesting collection of unit coins and plaques, along with some whimsy. He has a couple of GI Joes in there... like me, he had GI Joes and other "war toys" when he was a kid.

Like I tell liberal chicks, we played with war toys. But it never influenced us.

One thing in his yard that appeals to the caveman in all of us is a large fire pit. The stone-lined pit is about twelve feet in diameter and lets him build colossal bonfires, year-round.

Two other contract employees live nearby -- at least by the standards of this quasi-rural community. It is an idyllic lifestyle, apart from the bit where hadji tries to kill you.

I only had a brief hour to visit with my friend but those minutes were very well spent. Could it get any better? He offered me a drink. "I can't, I'm flying." Heh. He handed me my own addiction -- a Diet Dr Pepper. Turns out someone else has to be addicted to the stuff, and his gal is. Good thing I couldn't stay long enough to make a dent in her stash.

Of course, I visited too long, and then had to flog the plane to get back on time.

Safe on the ground, I talked to two more friends -- good news from each, considering. A month ago one was in the hospital with renal failure, and the other was told he had Stage Four melanoma. These guys are 49 and 48 respectively and have been my friends for many years. The kidney patient is now cured of kidney problems and only dealing with the rehab requirements a month in a hospital bed imposes... he's now in a rehab hospital being tortured by therapists, and I can visit.

The cancer patient goes under the knife in a couple days. He has relinquished custody of his kids to his sometimes-flaky ex, while the docs and the monster battle for his soul on the battlefield of his body. He floored me by saying that he has been cleared to hire me in the event that I don't/can't deploy. The sub text here is, to take his place if necessary, or to extend his reach if not. I mentioned that I did not have some of the the licenses he has. He said that the company will pay for me to get them, and pick up the tab for my grad school, too. I'd still rather do the one-last-tour thing, but if it falls through, this would be good.

Now I'm back in the office to update and clean up my logbook, and catch up on my list mail.

All in all a pretty positive day. Now I need my buddy's surgeon to come out of the OR with a grin on the 30th so he stops this crazy **** about hiring a replacement.

cheers

-=K=-

Kevin R.C. "Hognose" O'Brien, Lynn, Mass.

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,209
    Happy Memorial day all.

I want to especially thank everone who fought for our country. Be safe everyone, and have a great day.

25. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    We're averaging 16 burials a day at Ft Sam Houston National Cemetery :icon_sad:

26. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    My Father-in-Law is out there ......

27. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    ...and Trumpie's Step Dad...hey, you mighta met CC at the game in Houston acuppola years ago!!

And too many of my friends!! :icon_sad:

28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,209
    Grandpa, I miss you. Thank you for everything.

29. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I did meet CC in Houston in '04. Good man ... and he is missed. :bolt: