1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman and Weddle

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RM24, Nov 29, 2009.

1. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    What are the extent of their injuries? Anybody know?

2. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Norv said in the post game that Weddle had a knee strain. Paraphrasing: It's not bad but you never know.

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    I didn't see this, but the folks sitting next to me said that Weddle had a huge wrap around his knee.

We play Cleveland next week, so I say sit Merriman & Weddle. Let them get healthy & ready for Dallas.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,554
    I want to know what ****ing idiot let Merriman start today in the first place.

It was the 2nd play from the Chiefs offense when they threw an 8yd pass to Cox, and Merriman was LIMPING each and every step as he chased him. :icon_evil: It was clear he had no business playing football even in that early point of the game.

If he's hurt worse because of this the trainer who cleared him to play without even watching him jog, needs to be fired.

5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Per Acee...

Weddle out 2 wks (at least), sprained MCL.

56 nada new as injuries go, just too much pain

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    So he'll probably miss Cleveland, Dallas and Cincy....not good. At least Paul Oliver can hold his own in coverage, but this is a big blow for our run D, and both Dallas and Cincy have big physical backs who will probably gash us.

7. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    nothing is lost in run defense with oliver

8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    You do realize that sometimes it's the player himself that decides to play regardless of the injury.

How about Merriman chosing to play in the season opener last year instead of getting the surgery he needed much earlier?

How about L.T. playing 8 games of the 2004 season with a groin strain he suffered early in the season when he was horse-collar tackled?

How about L.T. playing the latter part of the 2005 season after getting his ribs cracked by a punch in the home Raider game as he was going out of bounds?

How about Marcus McNeil playing with two broken hands most of the 2006 season?

How about Rivers playing a week after he snapped the ligaments in his knee in the Indy playoff game the 2007 season?

That's just our players. There are many other players around the league who chose to play with strains, cracks, etc.

Players do play with injuries. A lot.

9. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Oliver has always had the most upside of our safeties, and if he uses Weddle's injury as a means of discovering it, we can become very, very dangerous with our safety depth.

I never thought I would be able to use the words "safety depth" to describe the Chargers...I still remember the days of McCree and Kiel back there. :tdown:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Sorry for Weddle's injury, but I sure would like to see Spillman get some reps while Eric is down.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    Well its exactly stuff like that which is why I've been questioning the sanity of our training staff for the last few years. I said the same thing on here when McNeil was playing with broken hands, and Rivers with his torn ACL. Its awesome that they can gut it out, but its being damn reckless with players carrers for a medical trainer to allow these guys to play when he could just as easily go to the coach and say "not cleared, this guy is too hurt to play."

Merriman was extremely questionable (per John Clayton) before this game, and hadn't practiced 1 day all week. It doesn't sound like he got injured any worse but I'd bet his foot is swelling like a ***** right now.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    then he stays out for at least next week. It's the Browns, I think we can survive without Merriman if it means he gets better. I wondered about his ego in claiming he can play, playing three or so plays, and staying out. He did this earlier in the year too and it pissed me off.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,554
    No doubt. Sit Merriman and Castillo all week, don't let them practice at all, just get them healthy for the Cowboys, Bengals, and espescially the Titans who really make me nervous.

14. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Turner said that safety Eric Weddle[​IMG] won’t play this week and could miss a couple weeks due to a sprained knee suffered in the first half of Sunday’s game. Linebacker Kevin Burnett[​IMG] suffered a concussion but is expected to practice this week after passing medical tests Monday and receiving clearance to return to the field.
    Linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG] didn’t practice last week and played sparingly Sunday due to a sore foot. The Chargers could decide to give him some time off to heal, Turner said.

“That’s something we’re going to consider and look at,” Turner said. “We’ll see how he is. If he’s a lot better Wednesday/Thursday and can do some and then practice Friday, I’d like to see him play. If he can’t practice (resting him) is certainly something we’ll consider.”
    Defensive end Luis Castillo[​IMG] (calf) had a strong workout Monday and Turner is optimistic that the team’s starting right defensive end will return from his one-week absence.

When Nick Hardwick[​IMG] initially injured his ankle in the season opener, it was estimated that his operation would keep him out until December. The calendar turns Tuesday, and it appears as if Hardwick will see at least some action Sunday. The Pro Bowler will eventually regain his starting job, but Turner could work him back into things.

“He will take over as the starter when he’s ready to do it,” Turner said. “I envision him going in this game and maybe getting him 20-25 snaps if he’s ready to go

San Diego coach Norv Turner said new tackle Jon Runyan could be active this week at Cleveland. It is more likely, though, that Runyan has a chance to start at Dallas on Dec. 13.

15. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Offensive tackle Jon Runyan[​IMG] was inactive against the Chiefs. He could dress in Cleveland, but Turner expects Dombrowski to start at right tackle again.
    “The issue is getting him up to speed,” Turner said. “We were laughing about it this morning. He’s talking about learning the offense and the system and the changes and he says, ‘Then I go out there and we play a game and there’s about six or eight code words that aren’t in the book, that I’ve never heard. Everyone just knows what they are,’ in terms of our audible system and all that. He’s a lot more comfortable than he was a week ago. We’ll see how it goes this week.”

16. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I like it.

Give Runyan and Hardwick some playing time versus the Browns, which are little more than a scrimmage right now.

17. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    What the hell is wrong with Merriman's foot? :icon_huh:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Tila sucked on his big toe before they split, and now it is all cootified... :icon_eek: :icon_twisted:

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    maybe he's got gout.... :icon_shrug:

20. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979

There could be a... shadow... of a... doubt...

[​IMG]