1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Merriman arrested

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by RaptorKC, Sep 6, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,919
    You're the first person I've ever talked to that wants to fault someone for trying to play through an injury.

Most sports fans I know will call someone a ***** for not wanting to. (Not that I'm always on that boat)

99% of sports players will not want to be taken out of the game for surgery, they'd rather keep playing. Merriman is no different.

2. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    If that's your opinion it is what it is, I suppose. :icon_shrug:

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Well...last thing I wanna do is cast stones at ya IAD, BUT...

(Just playing devils advocate here.)

You're a singer in a punk band. What is the reputation of punk music in general? Now you and I both know the stereotypes laid on punk music are overblown BS. But I'd bet that most out there do not sare our view.

Getting back to Merriman...

What would it take from him for you to WANT him stay here? 15 sacks? 20? Him being names DPOY? A play that gets us to the superbowl? A play that wins the SB? Him being named SB MVP?

Again...just askin'. :icon_toast:

4. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919
    Scheduling a date with a convicted rapist in a secluded forest would most definitely be an unwise decision, but there's 2 points of contention here.

1. Making that decision hardly compares to dating a woman from a reality show, no matter how skanky she makers herself out to be. You can't possibly tell me foreseeing being brought up on false charges by TT compares to the ability to foresee being raped if you schedule a date in a secluded forest with a convicted rapist.

2. No matter how foolish the **** victim's decision to schedule that date is she is still the victim and not the one to blame for being raped.

5. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Leo I know you're smart enough to understand what I'm saying here so let me try again...

How long did LT or Rivers have to fix their ribs or knee before the next snap? None. They were hurt during games late in the season (or in Rivers case during the LAST game of a season). Merriman had six ****ing months to get his situation resolved. Failure to diagnose an injury and thereby ignorantly starting a season hurt is completely different than a guy gutting it out to win the AFCCG.

Hey you're totally right CBF. I wouldn't associate with myself either if I didn't have a choice. :lol:

Let me think tho... my arbitrary judgment call is double digits sacks and a super bowl ring would be enough on-the-field goodness to clean the slate of his off-the-field idiocy. I'm using the IAD scale of pulling **** out of my *** to make this analysis. :icon_banana: :tup:

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +1,919

I've not once claimed his decision to be a wise one, I've only contended that his desire to play through injury does not differ from that of the vast majority of professional sports players. Especially football players.

To fault him for it seems rather silly to me. I'm sure after missing a season for it he's learned that lesson the hard way.

Now we'll see if he recovers.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    You're right and ultimately I'm anti-social and hyper critical of people. And I think that high profile personalities like Merriman should be even MORE critical of the folk with whom they associate. So it's relatively easy for me to say that Merriman should have seen the potential for this sort of behavior from this woman. 'Cause that's all it would take for me. If I get the slightest whiff of 'psycho *****' I'm gone before you can blink your eye. Either Merriman is a poor judge of character, or he doesn't have the same standards for female associations that I do.... either way it's bad.

8. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,358
    Dude, you rawk!

I don't know what'd take for him to stay either. AJ isn't the knee-jerk reaction type either so I'd expect to see #56 here throughout the season.

:icon_party:

9. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    Very articulate paragraph from Tim Sulivan. I agree with it completely, especially the professional bimbo tag. She has earned that just like the tag crazy whore. Professional writers don't just throw that out for anyone, she has earned her monikers and even worse is probably quite proud of them.

What Shawne Merriman does on his own time is, for the most part, his own business. If he chooses to associate with professional bimbos whose primary talent is the removal of clothing, that's between him and his libido. Yet if he wants to be seen as a committed athlete rather than a “personality,” the pass-rushing whirlwind might want to more carefully consider the hours and the company he keeps.

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I think we're missing eachother here. 'Cause I'm not knocking Merriman for 'playing through an injury.' That's not even the 'decision' I'm talking about here. To me the 'decision' was failure to get surgery as soon as the '07 season was over. And that leans way closer to 'stupid' than to 'tough.'

You don't want to let down your team, or your coaches, or the fans? That's admirable and impressive **** right there. That's the attitude that makes sports great. But when you're at home soaking in the tub or laying in bed and you're knee is totally ****ed up and you STILL can't say "man something isn't right and this needs to get taken care of," well you've got major judgment problems.

The man is wrong. No amount of hard work and passion are going to re-connect a couple torn ligaments, and hence I submit this as evidence of Merriman's poor decision making.

Also it's for this reason that I don't feel like the Rivers and LT comparisons hold any water. Playing through injury is admirable, ignoring one for six months because you're 'too tough' is idiocy.

+1

11. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Why are you splitting hairs on this issue? If he said, 'Great thing to do in San Diego.', would you say, 'Well he was actually in the city of poway.'

Not trying to be a jerk, but trying to understand why you are splitting hairs here.

12. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    This post is lucid, logical, and makes perfect sense. Imagine someone citing self-responsibility on this board.

Be careful not to be too judgemental though, he is after all a grown man and therefore free to do whatever he likes, whenever he likes, without anyone else ever forming an opinion of his behaviour, as long as his actions are not illegal. Then and only then can one take a position.

13. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Back on track guys. Did anyone see ESPN's recent report on ESPN news? They cherry picked quotes and when it came time for Shawns quote they left out were he talked about not letting her drive *********. They also chose a raging Merriman face to accompany his quotations. Fukn a holes.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,209
    More Tequila
    By Kevin Acee

September 7, 2009, 11:15 a.m.

Look, I don't know the girl. I'm not passing judgment. I don't really even care. But I find this chronology of tweets from Tila Tequila to be interesting.

She appears (and I stress appears, because we don't know exactly what it is she's saying) to say that she doesn't drink in a tweet from today:

She writes: I am allergic to alcohol. It has been publicly known for years. That is how I got the name Tila "Tequila" cuz the irony. I cant drink.

Yet this series of tweets from Friday suggest she might actually drink:

First: Dman im drunk!!!!!!! Im headed to this Chargers VS 49ers game right now!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYY!!!!!! @shawnemerriman u ready?? LETS GOOOOO!

Later: U want me to post another pic of me DRUNK right now?? LOLLL I cant walk! HELP ME! falls down toilet

And then: http://twitpic.com/gi382 - Me getting Tipsy in my hotel about to go to the Chargers VS 49ers Game! Then Parttaaay in ma pizzants! LOL

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    wow their kids would have been rhodes scholars

16. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +79
  17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,209
    I prefer rogue scholars...

18. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I love Merriman as a player, really no one in the league has as much impact on the defensive side of ball except maybe Hayneworth or Ware, and I think he has a good heart and actually means well as a person, but the dude is clearly inclined to partake in risky behaviour.

Steroids - career ending risky. Choosing to pass on the team physicans recommendation - career ending risky. Pissing off your boss by going to Hollywood every week even when you know it is pissing him off, Charger career ending risky. Crazy nutjob girlfriend, just plain risky. No risk, no reward they say but at some point it catches up with you.

The self-proclaimed defensive leader in the clubhouse needs to show a bit more mental stability. He should be maturing a bit more by now. Don't think this is a good example for the younger guys in the locker room.

AJ as a businessman will never, ever reinvest in this guy. For him the pattern is clear and unambigous.

19. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696

This sounds like a typical drunk chick fit.

Drunk chick wants to leave, so she gets loud and beligerant, calls the cops when her "boyfriend" restrains her, and signs a citizens arrest WHILE INTOXICATED.

This is going nowhere. Lets move on.

20. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    BeerGuy you're such a douche :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  21. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    :icon_eek:

I have neither experienced nor witnessed that chain of events EVER; and I've been around plenty of drunk chicks. So to use the word 'typical' to describe this situation is well... ummm... strange

• Like Like x 1
  22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696

**** I have. You telling me you've never seen a girl get loud and belligerant while drunk?:icon_shrug: It sounds like she just wanted to drive herself home and just got even more pissed when he wouldn't let her leave.

Calling the cops isn a situation like that is unusuall either! I've heard of people calling the police because their drug dealer took their money and didn't give them any drugs! People are ****ing stupid, you should realize that by now.

23. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    it become more and more clear to me every day :yes: :lol:

24. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Fully agree and said so around page 16.

But there will be some cough syrup incident or something similiar somewhere in the future if the past is any guide.

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,358
    But you don't hang around attention grabbing hoochie mammas either. :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1
  26. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Latest tweet from Tila about 15 minutes ago.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Merriman tweet from a few minutes ago.

28. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279
    Merriman needs to make one statement and get back to ****in some dudes up on the field

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,209
    He already released a statement.

30. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    i_a_d is a Punk star in Vegas, he's got groupies! :icon_tease:

• Like Like x 1