1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman blob and article

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by PhillyChargerFan, Jul 31, 2007.

1. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    HOLY SH*T!!!!

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070731-9999-1s31charjump.html

A week later, he had arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn labrum that he says is now 95 percent healthy. (He bench-pressed 345 pounds six times last week.) Over the past couple months, in addition to shooting a half-dozen national commercials, he has gained five pounds (up to 268) while dropping 4 percent body fat (down to 11 percent). His offseason training was designed to increase speed and power. While having to rest his shoulder, Merriman strengthened his core and improved his flexibility.

2. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

Shawne's best quote yet...:tup:

3. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    268 as oopposed to the 270 when he came into the league? But Ant thinks that he looks small. :icon_huh:

:icon_rofl:

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    TINY! Shall we start calling him the doping ankle biter now? Let turn on him now and beat the croud!:lol:

I challenge anyone to walk up to Merriman and tell him he is looking small. He will glower down at Ant and make the kid wet himself!:lol:

5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Geez, 268 pounds? Maybe he's not going to get as quick and speedy as I thought. Big, slow clods like that have no place on the outside of the 34. Igor is going to have his hands full picking up the slack. Phillips is really going to have to bring it up notch.

:icon_tease:

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I know! If we dont make the playoffs it will be becasue tha bastige droped those two fricken pounds!:icon_evil:

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I thought MTL also said he was smaller.

8. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Merriman was like 282 when he entered the league and 274 last year.

9. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Uh, that's wrong. Merriman was 272 when he entered and played at 265 last year.

10. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    He is a mere wisp of his former self this year. Ant and Mtl were spot with the call on the weight loss.

I only wish it was that obvious when I lost two pounds. :icon_rofl:

11. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Ok, I'll take a stab at this and offer my two lowly cents........

Unlike what Leisure has been told many times in the past, size does matter. That is until you talk about what Merriman is doing. You can argue that Ant is right when he said Merriman "looks" smaller. Optically, yes, but it's not for a lack of taking steroids, etc.
    Merriman is doing a heavier load of cardio/conditioning versus just weights like the meatheads at your local gym. If you look at Merriman's regimen, it's about getting stronger and leaner, not bigger and bulkier. I wish ESPN would replay the "A day in the life of...." it recently aired, where they tailed Merriman around. You get a good glimpse at his workout. Heavy conditioning, with tons of work on the trunk/core of the body at the boxing gym. That seems to be the latest and greatest around the NFL (at least for the last 3 years or so).

People are kidding themselves if they don't see a change in Merriman's body. The guy IS leaner and not as bulky as what we're used to seeing, but I guarantee you he's stronger and quicker than he was a couple of years ago.

I've always been a Merriman supporter since he came out, and a bunch of people slammed him for sitting out of MC, so maybe I'm just biased. However, I think this year you are going to witness one of the best years by a tandem of outside rushers (Phillips and Merriman). Bank on it.

12. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288
    In a way Ant is right, When you drop bodyfat you can weigh the same but look smaller.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Well I noticed when you came outa the bathroom last time!:icon_rofl:

14. PhillyChargerFan

Ratings:
    +288

I'll take it one step further, This LB corp (within a year or 2) is going to go down as the ALLTIME best in NFL history :yes:

You have Merriman, Phillips, Cooper, Wilhelm,Waters and Dobbins DAMN!!! We maybe the only team in NFL history to be 1st in offense and defense :yes:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    My only real concern here is the loss of body fat percentage. I know players who get real low body fat percentages seem to get injured more ala David Boston.

16. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    It is also admirable that Merriman has stated that he will let his play do the talking. In an NFL where premier players usually run their suck too much, that it makes your head hurt, this is welcome news. The credo "act like you've been there before..." does hold some merit. This team is ready for the next step.

17. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    That's because David was more interested in losing body fat for show. Talk about a Primadonna. Not sure if someone can find the article from a couple of years ago where LT spoke about his regimen. It was the one where Drew Brees became a disciple of this workout and he began to see better results in his throws as a result (insert "moled" one jokes here).
    Anyway, these guys are getting leaner, but they are also conditioning the muscles to take a pounding. I agree with you to a point - it's one thing to lose a ton of body fat, but it's another to do it through conditioning of the muscles (especially the core/trunk). That's why these guys are boxing and doing pilates and not just taking a bunch of pills like Boston. For LT to make it through last year's punishment is a testament to their work outs and work ethic. Even LT was quoted recently as stating that he feels like he knows his body a lot better now, and as a result knows what to eat and how to work out in order to produce the best results (something along those lines).

18. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Did I miss something, or is Shawne "self-promoting" just as much as he ever has? :icon_shrug:

Doesn't look like anything has changed about him to me. :lol:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    When do you start calling him the ankle biter?

Cant see how you can dislike a player who has done what he did last season, while missing 4 games no less. But to each their own I guess...:icon_shrug:

20. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Where does it say that I don't like him? :icon_huh:

I just found it funny how much Shawne is bragging about himself, while talking about toning down self-promotion at the same time.

Must be the wrong time of the month for you or something.

[​IMG]

21. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    He personally told me he wants big pistols....I mean guns like you TK. :icon_tease:

22. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I think there is a fine line between being confidant and self-promoting. Based on most of what Shawne has said so far this year, I wouldn't say he has gone over board just yet. I take that as having a high confidence level at the start of a season with unbelievable expectations.
    Day in, day out, these guys have to get up mentally, for a practice, work-outs, meetings that seemingly never end and finally a game. That is a real psychological grind.
    Where I live, the masses here are constantly being bombarded by the drivel that comes out of Chad Johnsons mouth. Overall, he backs it up, but sometimes it's just nice to see and hear performance on the field and humility afterward. A la LT. If the Merrimonster can harness a bit of what LT brings to the table in humility, then it is my thought that could only add to a great recipe for success in the future...this year.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976

Made you respond!

24. Kev

Kev BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    :)

It's not bragging if you can do it, only if you can't.

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Boston was lucky the NFL wasn't testing for roids. Take a close look at the photos of his body and of his face. Then compare him to Bonds. Then compare the two at the start of their careers. That's why he was getting hurt, that's why Bonds is having joint problems. Merriman is not a juicer and LT's body fat is about the same.

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think Boston was also using HGH. The NFL still does not have a reliable test for that.

27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Mr. Pot, allow me to introduce you to Mr. Kettle, I mean, Mr. Merriman.

Why don't you post another pic of those flabby guns, and then criticize Merriman for self-promoting. :lol:

Your just jealous because Shawne can break you in two. :abq2:

28. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    A couple of years ago on the UT forum, someone posted a nice close up picture of Boston when he was at Ohio State and then another pic a few years later........I'm sorry, but your cranium is not supposed to swell up like that.
    Didn't he have a "chemist" on the payroll for over $200K a year? Give me a break.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Merriman was banned for roids, so I do believe he has a point to prove and I'm sure he's tired of all the talk about it. Not only in the media but fellow players called him out on it. Does he have something to prove, hell yes he does.

If he can back up his claims it will close a lot of mouths. LT has never had a dirty test, and his play has always been outstanding. SM has to repair his image, but I do agree, he should just shut his trap and let his play prove his point.:bolt:

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think he also dropped that BS about a tainted supplemental and:
    A. Knows bluntly he screwed up
    B. Wants to get over that wrap
    C. Is being more mellow not to draw as much attention to himself

I think its his modesty and his mellowing out, at least 'in the media' that shows he's trying to repair his image and let his play speak for itself