1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman dismisses grudge

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Chris Jenkins, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Thursday, December 10, 2009

Maybe if Shawne Merriman were healthy — last year and this — it would be different.
    But Merriman is flying a little under the radar of late, having played all of November with foot tendinitis and having fought through various injuries as he comes back from the major knee surgery that robbed him of the final 15 games of last season.
    So his first game against the Dallas Cowboys, the team he formerly held a grudge against for selecting DeMarcus Ware ahead of him in the 2005 draft, is sort of anticlimactic.
    “It’s the Dallas Cowboys against the San Diego Chargers,” said Merriman, who expects to play after sitting out Sunday’s game in Cleveland. “If anyone makes it more than that, that’s just for reading.”
    Merriman said the day after he was drafted that “Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones both told me if I was still on the board at No. 11 they were going to pull the trigger. Not only was I lied to, I was smacked in the face.”
    Merriman didn’t get to play the Cowboys in the 2005 season opener due to a hamstring injury, and he downplayed his grudge yesterday.
    “I was (ticked) off by 11 teams passing me up — not just the Cowboys,” he said. “People made a big deal of it because that’s where I thought I was going.”
    The Cowboys selected Ware a spot ahead of Merriman.
    After two seasons, Merriman held a 27-19.5 edge in sacks. But Ware has had 43 sacks since the start of the 2007 season, including a league-high 20 last year and nine this year. Merriman had 12.5 sacks in ’07, didn’t play last season and has four sacks in ’09.
    Merriman and Ware met before the ’05 draft and have kept in touch. And Merriman is well aware of Ware’s statistical advantage.
    “We talk all the time, we know each other well,” Merriman said. “It’s not just me looking at stats. I watch him. … He’s a great player. (The statistics) are just for talking between me and him.”
    Merriman said yesterday he expects the tendinitis in his plantar fascia, the connective tissue that forms the foot’s arch, will likely bother him the rest of the season.
    “How I feel will be day to day,” he said.
    And he won’t measure himself against Ware this week.
    “In life, you go through a time where you have a little setback,” Merriman said. “And now I’m playing catch-up. Not catch-up in stats with him, but getting back on track to what I’m accustomed to doing.”

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    These writers will try to drum up anything to get their name in the news, won't they?

BFD - this falls into the same category as the Norv vs. Jerry Jones crap. :tdown:

I feel pretty damn certain that both teams are motivated without the mediots trying to turn this into a Peyton Place episode.

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Just the hype machine trying to stir up ****. The chargers do not need any personal motivations. The big shiny trophy at the end of the season is the only motivation they should need! :abq2:

4. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    "Early on, we were always trying to keep up with numbers and see who was doing what," Merriman said from the Chargers' training facility. "He's got me beat right now, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. ... I had a little bit of a slower pace because I got hurt. This year, I've been banged up and missed a few games, but I'll get healthy and catch him."
    Not at this pace.
    Merriman took the league by storm, after settling a holdout that forced him to miss a game against the Cowboys in 2005. In his first three seasons, Merriman had 391/2 sacks in 42 games and annual Pro Bowl appearances. He missed four games in 2006 because of the drug-policy suspension but still was chosen the league's defensive player of the year.
    Ware was good; Merriman was great. Roles have reversed.
    Ware has 29 sacks in 28 games since opening day 2008 and made his third consecutive Pro Bowl appearance last season. Merriman missed 15 games last season because of surgery to repair two torn knee ligaments and has only four sacks in 12 games since opening day 2008.
    Merriman's experience is typical of the position, which has a high rate of attrition. In Ware and Keith Brooking, who has played in 140 consecutive games, the Cowboys have a pair of linebackers with a freakish ability to stay on the field. That is invaluable to a defense.
    "When you have guys as dependable as them, it's important for your team and the continuity," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "And those two guys are really good players, too."
    Merriman's early success hung over Ware, raising questions about draft-day wisdom. Did the Cowboys make a mistake in taking a raw talent from out-of-the-way Troy rather than the more polished player from Maryland?
    Ware heard every word but insisted he did not turn that into a source of inspiration.
    "I get motivated every day, especially coming from a small school," Ware said. "Usually they say 'Can you measure up?' but showing consistency is what I've been harping on every year. Getting pressure and doing what I do and not worrying about what anybody else says."
    Comparing Ware with Merriman is difficult. They have different styles and are used in different ways.
    Merriman is stronger and plays on the strong side, which often puts him at the point of attack against running plays and into pass coverage against tight ends. Ware is faster and plays on the weak side, which gives him more chances to rush the quarterback.
    "They're both dominant players," said Phillips, who was Merriman's first defensive coordinator with the Chargers. "But their styles are completely different."
    One is in and out of the lineup. The other is there every play.

Dallasnews.com

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    ankle & foot injuries.

again, why does it seem like our Bolts suffer more than their share

:tdown:

6. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    The writer should've knocked on wood. Hope Ware's injury isn't too serious.

7. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Word is he is OK. Full movement in all extremities, sprained neck is what they're calling it at this point.