1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman expected to jump in

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Originally published August 13, 2010 at 9:36 a.m., updated August 13, 2010 at 9:45 a.m.

Norv Turner doesn't seem overly concerned about Shawne Merriman's ability to practice after not playing since January, but the Chargers won't really know how fast Merriman can get to full speed until he's on the field.

"We’ll get him started and see where he’s at and add to it as he can handle," Turner said.

Turner did not say whether Merriman would begin immediately working with the first team. Larry English had been with the starters before being sidelined with a foot injury all week. Jyles Tucker has been taking the first-team snaps in English's absence.

"We’ll see where it’s at," Turner said. "We'll play a game and see what our health is and all those different things. You make smart decisions. You evaluate a guy and see where he’s at. You can tell. You get anyone who hasn’t been here and get them on the field and watch him move, we’ll know how much he's been doing.

"It's not a new game he’s going to be asked to play. He's going to have a pretty good feel for what he’s doing. He's going to have a pretty good understanding. And Shawne is a guy who always seems to be in pretty good shape."

Merriman has been working out twice a day, four to five days a week while staying away from the team most of the offseason and the first two weeks of training camp. He said those workouts have included time on the field doing football movements.

He signed his $3.269 million tender this morning and is expected to practice for the first time on Monday. The Chargers host the Chicago Bears in their preseason opener Saturday and are off Sunday.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Rapid Reports
    CBS Sports
    8-13-2010

Coach Norv Turner believes that OLB Shawne Merriman will quickly catch up. “He will be great in his first practice because he is an explosive player with great skills,” said Turner. Turner expects Merriman will play in the second preseason game.

What did OLB Shawne Merriman accomplish? “I did not accomplish anything at all,” said Merriman. “Its just that whole business part that you hate to deal with. I am just so glad that is behind me now so I can go out and play.”

OLB Shawne Merriman claims he does not need the defense built around him. “I’ve always felt that if you put me on the field that I will be able to make plays,” said Merriman. “You don’t have to build anything around me.”

Does OLB Shawne Merriman believe that he is wanted long term? “Absolutely,” said Merriman. “I think everybody wants what’s best.”

LB Ali Highsmith was waived to make room for OLB Shawne Merriman on the roster.

OLB Shawne Merriman is dressed for Friday's walk-thru practice.

LB Larry English, OLB Shawne Merriman, LB Brandon Siler and RB-KR Darren Sproles will not play in Saturday night's preseason game against the Chicago Bears

RB Ryan Mathews and FB Mike Tolbert will share the running responsibilities when the first string is playing in Saturday night’s preseason game. The first string is expected to play between 20 to 25 snaps. Likely QB Philip Rivers will play less than that.

3. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    He forgot to mention this in is statement.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Shawne Favre? Brett Merriman?

First its preseason games that guys don't want to play in. Now they're too good for practice as well? :icon_huh:

As a teammate, I wouldn't take this very well. :no:

Drop the diva act & get your *** to work, Shawne. You have a lot to prove this year.

5. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    sdutChargers - Merriman clapped in by teammates as he walked onto field to view walk thru -- ka
    about 4 hours ago via web

:tup:

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    CHARGERS: Merriman signs tender, reports to camp

By BERNIE WILSON - Associated Press | Posted: August 13, 2010 3:31 pm

SAN DIEGO -- Shawne Merriman signed his $3,269,000, one-year tender with the San Diego Chargers on Friday, admitting his two-week holdout didn't accomplish anything.

The star outside linebacker won't play in Saturday night's exhibition opener against Chicago, but coach Norv Turner expects him to be ready by the following weekend's game against Dallas.

Merriman, once one of the most-feared players in the NFL, stood on the sideline watching Friday's walkthrough, the sleeves on his jersey rolled up to expose his tattooed arms.

"I think it was time for me to come in and get ready," said Merriman, who's trying to regain the form that resulted in 39.5 sacks in his first three seasons. "You can't show up game one, game two, whatever, and expect to be ready. The only way to emulate football is to play football."

Merriman softened his stance on a handful of issues, including one in which he was quoted as saying he wanted the Chargers to tell him he wouldn't be traded during the season.

"Everybody's on the trading block, so I don't think that was a question at all. I think it was more of it being talked about so much. We have bigger fish to fry, and that's to play the Kansas City Chiefs and get ready for them," he said, referring to the season opener on Sept. 13.

"At no point in time did I want my conversation on where I'm going to play or what's going to happen be bigger than us getting ready for a game. At some point, it got there. That's what I wanted to stay away from. But I'm happy to be back here for another year, to come out and finish what we started with these guys. There's no better way to do it."

So did he accomplish anything by not being in camp?

"No I didn't accomplish anything at all because I always knew that I was wanted here and that was one of the biggest reasons for getting some things sorted out," he said. "But just the whole business part of it you just hate to deal with. I'm just so glad that that's behind me now where I can go out and play."

Merriman said he expressed his concerns a few times to general manager A.J. Smith, including during a phone conversation on Thursday.

"We obviously have the same goals, trying to accomplish the same things, and sometimes in between, things get a little mixed up and they shouldn't be," Merriman said. "But ultimately we have the same goals, to come out and be a championship ballclub."

Smith, not a fan of Merriman's celebrity-leaning pursuits away from football, didn't return a call seeking comment.

The Chargers still have two high-profile holdouts. Left tackle Marcus McNeill and Pro Bowl wide receiver Vincent Jackson have refused to sign their tenders because they want long-term deals.

Merriman also backed off an earlier statement that he wanted to be on a team where the defense was built around him.

Asked if that would be the situation with the Chargers, he said: "Absolutely not. It wasn't intended for any defense or anything like that to be built around me. I want to be a big part of this team for the next five, seven years, whatever it is. I've never been a guy that wanted anything built around me because I always believe that if you put me on the field, I'm going to be able to make plays. You don't have to do anything around me at all. I'm just happy to be here and do my part, and do my part as I have for the last five years."

He also said he wanted people to stop dwelling on talk about a long-term deal with the Chargers, "because as you saw in '08, it can be over and you can be out. I'm going to continue to take it year by year. I know I'm wanted here and that's good enough for me."

Nicknamed "Lights Out" because of his punishing hits, Merriman missed the final 15 games of the 2008 season after having reconstructive knee surgery. He was limited to four sacks last year as he bounced back from the knee surgery and dealt with other injuries.

Merriman was a force in his first three NFL seasons, although he served a four-game suspension in 2006 after testing positive for steroids. He had a career-high 17 sacks in 12 games that season.

Turner said Merriman has plenty of time to get ready for the season opener.

"I know what he brings to our football team -- he brings another outstanding football player with a real competitive attitude," Turner said. "I think rubs off on everybody and that will help everybody else."

The four-time AFC West champion Chargers are trying to bounce back from an embarrassing 17-14 playoff loss to the New York Jets.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I hope English wins the job outright.

8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I guess you don't want the best players on the field. :tup:

9. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I'd like to see Merriman starting, getting a sack, then tagging in English to get one too. Tag team of Merriman/English would be nice with Merriman starting and leading the way! Phillips better be in there for some sacks too. He's got a lot to prove as well.