1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman feelin better Eight sit out practice

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Wednesday, Dec 12, 2007
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

Since quarterback Philip Rivers couldn’t be in the huddle Wednesday, he tried to have some say over what was going on in it.

“He coached a lot,” Head Coach Norv Turner laughed. “He’s trying to get me straightened out.”

Turner went on to say that Rivers was unsuccessful in his attempts to change the coach’s mind and allow him to practice Wednesday.

“Philip wanted to practice today,” Turner said. “It was really our decision, (Head Athletic Trainer) James (Collins) and myself to not practice him today. I’d expect him to practice tomorrow.”

Rivers’ left leg was wrapped and he wore a knee brace as he watched practice with Turner Wednesday. On Monday, the Bolts’ starting signal caller was sore but said he believed he’d play Sunday against the Lions. Rivers was unable to meet with reporters following practice because he was getting treatment on his sprained knee.

Turner said he’ll wait until Rivers gets back on the practice field before making a prognosis as to whether or not his starting quarterback will play.

“I would never answer that until I see him practice,” Turner said. “The fact that he wanted to practice today didn’t mean that he was able to. I’d be able to answer that better after he practices tomorrow and we see what he can do.”

Others not practicing Wednesday included linebacker Shawne Merriman (knee), guard Mike Goff (foot), tight end Antonio Gates (back), defensive tackle Jamal Williams (ankle), defensive end Luis Castillo (ankle) and fullback Lorenzo Neal (fibula).

Turner said that both Scott Mruczkowski and Shane Olivea spent time working at Goff’s right guard position Wednesday and the head coach expressed his confidence in backup quarterback Billy Volek.

Earlier Merriman had been ruled out of Sunday’s game against Detroit. Turner has classified the two-time Pro Bowler as week to week but was encouraged by what he saw from him Wednesday.

“I think Shawne has kind of surprised everybody,” Turner said. “He’s up moving around pretty good. It’s not been that long and he’s feeling pretty good. I think it’s one of those deals we’re going to have to evaluate it on a week-to-week basis.”

Turner said he expects at least a few players who missed Wednesday’s work to be back on the field Thursday. He also promised that despite the importance of Sunday’s game, he’ll be smart about when each individual makes it back.

“We need to win,” Turner said. “We’re not going to risk anyone’s health, and a guy who goes in and isn’t ready to play physically isn’t going to help you win. That’s why you have the guys we have on our team. We’ve had already examples of guys stepping in and helping us and making plays. This Sunday, maybe the following week, we need some guys to step up and help us win.”
  2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jan 19, 2006
    i still say bench every single regular you need to rest
  3. Kwak

Kwak ....

May 25, 2006
    Lets see if old stubby arms is a better OG then he was a tackle.
  4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
    As long as someone is able to hand the ball off to LT and MT we should be able to crush the Lions. Their defense sucks.
  5. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Aug 7, 2007
    Kitna will probably toss at least 2 or 3 to Cromartie, too.