1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman - Great to the end

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

Shawne Merriman was probably the Chargers' best defensive player over the course of Sunday's game. The Panthers often doubled him or went away from him, and Jake Delhomme got rid of the ball quickly. And still Merriman almost got to Delhomme a half-dozen times Sunday, including three hurries in Carolina's final drive.
    I had just finished watching tape of Sunday's game when I found out Shawne Merriman was calling it quits on this season.
    That is probably why, even though I never expected him to make it far into the season, I was shocked at the timing of the decision.
    He played great.
    Now, let me put that in context. He was limited in what he could do. He essentially was a straightforward player. He rushed the passer and made some nice plays against the run, but all going forward.
    We knew he was going to be limited side to side and dropping back, and he was.
    Ultimately, his decision, according to some who spoke to him, came down to him not feeling right. That lack of stability and limited range was not something he could continue to play with.
    Also, by getting the surgery now he should be close to 100 percent by training camp.

By Kevin Acee

2. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    See what I'm hoping for is that the defense will go, "ok! We don't have Merriman and everyone is riding us off now but we're know how good we are so we're gonna rush the pass even harder and attack the run even more." Then for compensations sake I would like to see them use a whole bunch of new looks. We don't have that pass rush off the edge unless Tucker absolutely emerges as a pro bowler so we have to come up the middle and try to pull some stunts. If you remember that it is where Applewhite shined in preseason. This is still our year.

3. HBM

HBM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Lets see how good the other shawn is with out Shawn!

4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Shaun Philips will still shine. I don't believe the only reason Philips looked good wasbecause teams focused more on Merriman. He's one hell of a pass rusher. The question is what can he do in coverage? If Sunday was an indication he can wind up being one hell of a playmaker too.