1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman in role of victim is a tough sell

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 14, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Tim Sullivan, UNION-TRIBUNE COLUMNIST
    Friday, May 14, 2010

There is a strain of self-pity in Shawne Merriman’s Twitter posts, a tale of woe told in 140-character installments.
    “Watching Notorious,” the Chargers linebacker and media socialite said via text message Wednesday night. “(It’s) funny how people don’t show love until someone is gone.”
    This plaintive tweet followed the firing of agent Tom Condon, last week’s texting cry for help in which Merriman compared his place in the 2010 season to “a wild animal trapped in a corner,” and the March  1 missive in which he responded to his team’s $3.269 million tender offer as if he’d just been demoted to the garbage detail: “Speechless today. Business is business but some things just aren’t right.”
    You might conclude that it must be pure hell to be him, except that Merriman was jetting off to Zurich on Thursday, en route to Sunday’s Grand Prix of Monaco, and posting pictures of himself aboard an aircraft hoisting a glass of champagne.
    Perhaps his mood will improve along the Riviera. His bargaining position, however, sure seems stagnant.
    If Merriman is selling victimhood, I’m not buying. If he fails to understand why the Chargers have been unwilling to commit to a long-term contract, he should consider his declining statistics, his recurring scandals, his perceived priorities and the contractual alternatives available under the National Football League’s collective bargaining agreement.
    Under the circumstances, Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith is perfectly justified and possibly inspired in keeping “Lights Out” on a short leash.
    Better to provoke an at-risk player toward better performance than to provide him with extra incentive to party. Better to motivate Shawne Merriman than to mollycoddle him. Encourage him to play with a (bargaining) chip on his shoulder pads. See how he performs when he must produce to get paid. Deal with him as circumstances require rather than as the player requests.
    Smith has made no secret of his concerns about Merriman’s lifestyle, about the linebacker’s love of the limelight and some of its seamy residue, yet it might be rash to read those misgivings as indicative of an imminent divorce. Though Merriman has clearly been shopped, the Chargers do not appear inclined to give him away.
    “He’s been tendered and we know what that means,” Smith said Thursday afternoon. “Once we get that out of the way, I have no idea what tomorrow brings. Our intentions are for him to return.”
    Plainly, there’s a price at which the Chargers would gladly part with Merriman. The same could be said, though, of every other player on the roster. But if a player is superior to his prospective replacements, and might be spurred to greater production by a salary drive, it seldom hurts to keep him hungry.
    Moreover, if you’re looking for core players to lock up for the long-term, you don’t usually start with a guy whose history includes a drug suspension, reconstructive knee surgery and a made-for-TMZ melodrama with Tila Tequila.
    Not yet 26 years old, Shawne Merriman has become a faint shadow of the dynamic force he was at 22. He has compiled 43 1/2 career quarterback sacks, but had none in his last six regular-season starts (or the playoff game against the New York Jets). He has forced only one fumble in his past 28 regular season starts. Though Chargers coaches credited Merriman with 46 tackles last season (34 solo, 12 assists), NFL.com shows him with 26 solos and 10 assists — exactly identical to the numbers posted by his presumed heir, Larry English.
    While some of Merriman’s statistical decline surely relates to rehabilitation — and some, perhaps, to shifting responsibilities — there is little basis to believe that a setback-free offseason will restore the burst that once made him so special. Accordingly, there is no reason to believe the Chargers should negotiate with him now based on what he was then.
    That Merriman seems to be having difficulty comprehending this dynamic is puzzling. He’s certainly smart enough to know that he bears a burden of proof if he expects to be paid as an elite player.
    Switching agents from Condon to David Dunn might help facilitate a trade, but it’s hard to imagine any team paying Merriman as an impact player at this point. (Dunn did not respond to telephone and e-mail messages seeking comment Thursday.)
    Though a deal might still be doable, Shawne Merriman might be better served by reporting to camp with that chip on his shoulder pads and the narrow objective of “a wild animal trapped in a corner.” He should set out to prove A.J. Smith wrong and drive up the price of setting things right. He should resolve to bring the Chargers back to the bargaining table on his terms and/or to leave them speechless.
    Maybe that’s been management’s idea all along: inspiration by infuriation. Maybe when Shawne Merriman stops feeling sorry for himself, he will elicit some sympathy for quarterbacks.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Why Shawne Merriman is a tough sell

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 14, 2010 10:41 AM ET
    As Florio mentioned in PFT Daily Thursday, the Chargers have taken a negotiating stance likely to keep Shawne Merriman in San Diego.

They won't trade him for less than a high draft pick, but they don't want to give him a new contract.

That indicates they probably don't really want to deal him. They know the film and the numbers that are out there on Merriman. And as Tim Sullivan of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes Friday, Merriman doesn't have the value he did a few years ago.

"Not yet 26 years old, Shawne Merriman has become a faint shadow of the dynamic force he was at 22," Sullivan writes.

Merriman didn't have a sack in his final seven starts last year. He put up the same tackle numbers as rookie Larry English. He has one forced fumble in his last 28 regular season starts. He looks like a solid starter, but not a huge bonus guy.

Even if the Chargers find a trading partner for Merriman, he's not going to get paid the dollars he wants until he produces like he used to before his knee surgery.

3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
  4. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    a comment (which i thought was right on) after florio's BS was somthing along the lines of why should the chargers pay up when 56 basically "jobbed" the chargers out of 1 1/2 years of his contract due to suspension and not getting his knee fixed when the team recomended it?
    it's goin' to be interesting to see what he does this year since he thinks he's been done so wrong...guy needs to stfu and demonstrate he's as good as he thinks he is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Why trade Merriman now when we get him for one more year for a low price. If he does well we can always resign him. Also there is no agreement yet. We might be able to tender him again next year.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Because you lose him for nothing next year if we do keep him. We got nothing for Brees, Nothing for Turner, I guess that is AJ's way.

I say no player with value should be on the team in the last year of their contract unless there is a possibility of them getting re-signed. Merriman has no chance of staying here past this season. So we need to trade him now for something rather than lose him at the end of the season, and get nothing

7. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Raiders should resist any urge to trade for Merriman

By Steve Corkran
    Friday, May 14th, 2010 at 10:48 am in Oakland Raiders.

The thought of San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman wearing a Raiders uniform would have seemed preposterous as recently as two years ago.
    At the time, Merriman was fresh from a season in which he recorded 12 ½ sacks and in the prime of a career that seemed destined to culminate with his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. There was no way the Chargers would part with the league’s premier defensive player.
    Now, 11 days shy of Merriman’s 26th birthday, the Chargers are trying to dump Merriman, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. The paper reported that the Chargers had three failed attempts at unloading Merriman last month.
    The snag reportedly resulted from the Chargers insisting upon a first-round draft pick in exchange for the five-year veteran. The New Orleans Saints reportedly were one of the teams interested in acquiring Merriman.
    Merriman still hasn’t signed the first- and third-round tender of $3.27 million that the Chargers offered him as a restricted free agent. The Union-Tribune said the Chargers still are working on moving Merriman.
    This is where the Raiders come in. They haven’t had a game-changing player on defense since the days of free safety Rod Woodson, with apologies to cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha.
    When Merriman was at his best, teams devised game plans that included ways to steer clear of Merriman and provided for maximum protection against his frequent incursions into the backfield. No more. Merriman is just another guy in the Chargers defense.
    In years past, Raiders managing general partner Al Davis would find it hard to resist the urge to trade for a high-profile player such as Merriman, regardless if it was obvious to most that the player’s best days were behind him.
    However, Davis has resisted such urges the past two years, with the notable exception of trading for defensive lineman Richard Seymour just before the 2009 season started. At least Seymour still bears a resemblance to the dominant player he was for eight seasons with the New England Patriots.
    As for Merriman, he recorded only four sacks last season, including none in his team’s final seven games. This from a player who averaged more than 13 his first three seasons.
    Merriman said in an interview on NFL Network that he wants to remain with the Chargers. He also said that his drop in production last season owed more to injuries than anything else.
    “Yeah, I had a rough year,” Merriman said. “Yeah, I had a groin and a foot injury that really slowed me down a whole lot. I came back from something that was tough for many guys to do, and right now, I’m more concentrated on getting back on the field 100 percent and performing like I do.
    “There’s nothing more important to me than going out there and providing the things that I’ve been doing for my team for five years now. That’s the most important thing going on in my life and how I can get back and play great football.”
    The Raiders still have a need for players who can change the complexion of games. Merriman once was that kind of player. Davis would be wise to let the phone go to voicemail if Chargers general manager A.J. Smith calls.
    There are 13 linebackers on the Raiders roster. It’s likely that none will ever reach the level of play that Merriman displayed his first three seasons. However, it’s also likely that rookie Rolando McClain and a few others will surpass the play of Merriman next season and beyond.

8. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Merriman can be tagged, kept for 2011 or traded. No offense, but this is incorrect and old news.

If not for Marty's decision to play Brees against Denver Brees would have been tagged and traded or signed long term with possibly Rivers traded.

The Chargers did recieve a comp pick for Turner, an arguement can be made concerning the asked for trade compensation being too high. Some thought that the Chargers should have traded LT that year, Spanos would have never allowed that though. That's what loyalty in sports gets you.

There is always a can't-refuse price but, I can't imagine another team offering anything that AJ would consider letting go of Merriman's probable contribution this year and tag and trade value next year. Of course a season ending injury ala Brees would kill that plan but that is certainly a risk worth taking. Also, who knows how 2011 will shake out.

Merriman, hungry to proive his doubters wrong and in a contract year is going to be a force to contend with. Win, win.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    he's coming off a major injury
    it showed he wasn't 100% clearly
    there's still rumors of steroids
    he hasn't had a good season since 2007
    he has a "hollywood" personality
    he demands to be paid like the best at his position

is it any surprise teams A) don't want to trade him and B) the Chargers are looking to deal him?

If Merriman wants his big bucks then he needs to go out there this year and light it up, he'll get paid and paid well then by some team

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The quicker we rid ourselves of the Merriman cancer project, the better. :bolt:

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Merriman needs to go back on these:

[​IMG]

Then no more Pu$$Y of Shawne.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    You're all a bunch of hypocrites. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    AJ a genius. Make the guy work his butt off for you first. I like. Sure is better than the Daniel Snyder "open wallet" policy. Who's been more successful?

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Depends... if wins = success AJ has been vastly more successful. If championships = success, they're both tied for last place.

• Like Like x 1
  15. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Everybody who wants merriman gone is a idiot, merriman is a beast when he is on the field he demands respect ask eli manning, merriman will be his old self next year a sack monster lights out, pay the man shawne merriman is a charger and should stay a charger

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I admit I have flip flopped over the last few years. But where I stand right now....IN AJ WE TRUST.:popcorn:

If AJ thinks its best to trade him, I couldn't argue.
    If AJ wants to re-sign him long term, I couldn't argue.
    At the end of the day AJ and the coaching staff who know better than all of us wether its worth the risk to pay him the big bucks.

17. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    always know if the juice is worth the squeeze!

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It actually sounds like Merriman himself wants to be traded...http://www.profootballweekly.com/2010/05/15/merriman-hopes-dunn-brings-long-term-deal

Not sure if this is a legitimate source. But the speculation makes perfect sense, and I can't blame Merriman for wanting to get his payday rather than risk having a horrible season, or god forbid another season ending injury.

19. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    if it happens, we'll be fine. we'll manage i suppose.

20. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    We got nothing for Brees because he was hurt, you can't blame AJ for that, there was only 1 team interested in him when there was no compensation other than a contract involved. The comp pick was as good as we were getting.

Why should we deal Merriman for anything? Unless you can get a 1st or 2nd there's no reason to do it. AJ has Merriman motivated, if he's looking for the big deal he'll need to perform, meaning we get a good season out of him. AJ also has the option to tag him after the season and keep him another year or deal him.

Dealing guys just because they won't be here past the season isn't really the smartest thing to do unless you're getting good compensation. Especially when you think your team is good enough to win a SB.

If we won a SB because AJ decided to keep Turner would people ***** about not getting anything for him?

21. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    He wants a long term deal, if he doesn't think the Chargers will give him one then obviously he'll look elsewhere.

I don't think he cares who it is.

The question is, how much is he looking for? If he wants Ware money and he wants it now, then good luck because I doubt anyone is willing.

22. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    AJ has him by the balls, he knows it doesn't like it. AJ didn't like it when he got hit with a suspension, and decided to take a WHOLE offseason not getting surgery he knew he needed, then waste an ENTIRE year of his contract on the IR. The way I see it Merriman OWES the Chargers 1 1/4 seasons.

Since when should AJ give him what HE wants...AJ wants the Lombardi, Merriman wants to get paid. If he has a monster season, AJ will franchise him and trade him for the high pick. Then it becomes the Larry English show, Merriman's act is getting tired.

I can't wait to see him gone but AFTER he helps us win a championship.

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Agreed.

But if we landed a 1st round pick for him before the season started you couldn't be that dissapointed. I'm 100% confident AJ could replace him with two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rd round picks we'd have next year. (assuming we do get a 2nd for Cro)

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Without a CBA in place, the franchise tag isn't available. And even if a new CBA gets done, there is no guarantee that the franchise tag will even be included in it. The players hate it, and will probably look to have it eliminated as a concession for a lower salary % that the owners are pushing for

25. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Sink or Swim in San Diego: Why Shawne Merriman Stays

By Jeremy Beckett

With the offseason activity in the Chargers organization, one thing has become increasingly apparent. Either you produce, or your'e gone.

With the release of Ladianin Tomlinson, Jamal Williams and Antonio Cromartie, some veterans comfort factor must have been shot way down.
    It looks like the Chargers front office is starting to care much more about production than Jersey sales. Good news to the fans, bad news to Shawne Merriman, anongst others.

The Chargers last few seasons produced a huge word that was used in pretty much every description of the team. "Potential'.

Sure LT , Merriman, Cromartie,all had "potential" and the fans bought into it big time. Look at Qualcomm stadium at any given home game. #56, 21, and 31 were everywhere. Although they all should have had asterisks with the year 2007 on them.

Its not where your from, its where your at. The Chargers have made that abundantly clear! They are cashing in those ' Potential " Players , with the other "P" , and thats production. Bad news for guys resting on performances of seasons past. Good news for the fans.

Have we ever seen the Chargers so aggressive in breaking ties, and changing puzzle pieces? I dont think so, but I like the trend. Yes we have produced many winning seasons, but we need to clear the final 4 hurdles of the post season, or its all a bust.

So now, whats going to happen basically is players are gonna have to put up, or shut up. The Chargers have cleared up some salary space, and they are in the mood to divy it out to productive players, or bring in people worth paying. Either way, that comfort factor is gone.

On the hot seat are Luis Castillo, Jeromy Clary Antoine Applewhite, and Shawne Merriman. Pretty impressive names, yes I know! But the numbers arent too impressive behind the scenes the last couple of years.

Also with names like Donald Butler, Brandon Siler, and Cam Thomas floating around, who are younger hungrier, and much smaller price tags, the motivation is definately there to spark up the old vets.This is Another thing that could benefit the fans!
    This offseason, Merriman took a little troll through the trade waters, and probably doesnt feel too good about it. Try to imagine taking something to a appraiser thinking it was worth 10 thousand dollars. After he says its worth a few hundred, you may feel a little hurt. Thats what he's feeling based on his own worth. He's probably feeling pretty motivated to prove some folks wrong.

So Shawne fired his agent. It doesnt make up for the fact that no teams are really interested in him. Does it? Also watching the Chargers move aggressively on two linebackers English and Butler in consecutive years that are well groomed to take over must have lowered his comfort levels.

In my opinion, we would be fools to take a third rounder for him.We should keep him. And this may be the last time we rely on the word " potential" , but we should here.For the following reasons:
    1. Merriman is feeling the heat. Yes we have brought in some big names, he is forced into a scenario of sink or swim. I think he will thrive on that fact, and his desire to be top dog will be a huge motivation in his play.
    2. He's seen his appraisal rates, and they dont look good. Yes, Merriman must have had his ego a little bruised this offseason, and it may motivate his performance next season as well.
    3. The collective bargaining agreement is going to be here in 2011. This is when we will most likely lose Merriman anyway, and all parties concerned know this. Merriman will truly seek a big contract at this point, knowing it may be his last.
    So these are all reasons Merriman is going to give 100 percent this season. He has all the interest in the world to play his heart out for whatever team he's on. He wants that big contract, and all that recognition. And theres only one way to get it. The Chargers would be fools not to reap the rewards of his last stand.
    The replacement killers are already in place, willing and able to take his place when it really is " Lights out"!in San Diego. So really Chargers have all to gain in keeping the guy. The fans like the excitement he brings, and all the pressure falls on Merriman.
    Dean Spanos and AJ Smith can look like heroes on the ship throwing him a lifering. Sink or swim, healthy or not, pro bowl season, or mediocricy, really makes no difference to them. The fact that they have a 26 year old " potential all pro bowler " in the stables is definately worth the risk.
    So throw him a lifering in the form of an extra million dollars in a one year contract. Then watch the guy play his heart out trying to ressurect his career. In seeing this, guys like Castillo and Clary could do the same thing.
    In the end, The Chargers come out smelling like a rose, if they get productivity or not, atleast they dont have to answer to the fans for rash decision making. And they get the most hungry "out to prove the world wrrong" Merriman we have ever seen! Why let some other team like the Broncos capatalize on that?
    One things for sure. Chargers fans still believe in him, and maybe, "JUST MAYBE", Shawne could go real old school here, and just do it for all the guys with the #56 jerseys. Were not quite ready to put them in storage with the 21s and 31s just yet!!

26. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    I don't see why owners would give it up, although I could see them tweaking it, maybe making it top 3 contracts instead of top 5, or limiting the franchise tag from being used on the same player in consecutive seasons, basically if you tag someone you either sign him long term or let him go (either via trade or FA the following season).

The players have more to lose in a lockout than the owners, the owners will still make their money. The players will lose out money and a year of their precious playing careers.

27. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Merriman posted this today on twitter:

"Thank you all for the Love and Support I won't be on twitter for a while maybe I can return someday soon...LightsOut."

:icon_shrug:

28. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    maybe someone pointed out to him that twitter is for junior high girls.:icon_shrug:

29. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Not for underappreciated athletes jetting to Monaco?

[​IMG]

30. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I agree. If you dont think all these guys in our favorite sport have used steroids your all high. Getting busted was his mess up. His injury will heal. It takes time. He will be back to form. I only hope its not with a team like the Raiders. I personally think he has been stand up on all that has gone down with his PERSONAL life and football.