1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Merriman interview - ESPN

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Shamrock, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    With special thanks to poster "rammerjammer" on Chargers.com, here is the interview with Colin Cowherd (sp?):

CC: Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers. You were a presenter at the ESPYs last night in Los Angeles, right?

SM: No, I wasn't a presenter.

CC: You were there?

SM: I was, I was there. At first I was up for an award, but I guess I didn't get nomianted, I found out, I guess two weeks ago, uh, I found it out, uh, weeks, two weeks ago.

CC: How was Lance Armstrong? Give us a little 30 second preview on how Lance Armstrong did as a host.

SM: Oh, he was great, and uh, I think when people see how good of a job he did, uh, he really kept the show live and probably one of the best hosts that ever hosted a show.

CC: Wow! That surprises me because Jamie Foxx was hysterical two years ago and I thought Lance Armstrong may be a little stiff. Was he funny?

SM: Ah, man, he was definitely funny, and you know just to have him up there as an athlete presenting and hosting the show was big.

CC: Shawne Merriman joining us, San Diego Chargers, Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year Award last year. Were you surprised at all Shawne? I know you're a confident guy, but were you surprised how good you were right out of the gate in the NFL?

SM: Um, no. It really didn't surprise me, it just was hard learning how to play that fast in the NFL but timing wise I knew as far as the speed and everything, I knew that I could play with those guys and I knew that I could come out and be dominant, but I, it's just how fast could I learn the system.

CC: Everybody wants to know, Shawne, uh, you open up with the Raiders, Monday Night Football, everybody wants to know about Philip Rivers. We haven't seen him, you have seen him- what's he look like at practice?

SM: I mean, I mean, he looks pretty good right now. You know, I always said that we, we're all behind Philip, we're all behind him from day one 110%, but uh, he's, he's been there for two years. It's not like he's a rookie, but at the same time he just doesn't have that playing experience yet, but I think he'll, he'll come out and shock a lot of people.

CC: Compare him to Drew Brees, who's now a New Orleans Saint, compare the two.

SM: Uh, well you know, Drew was a great quarterback. We miss him and we want him around but at the same time you know, Philip brings us this leadership that we probably didn't have with Drew, when Drew was around, so you know, it's gonna be interesting to see what he's gonna do.

CC: What do you mean, leadership? Is Philip more kind of, is he provocative, or talkative? What's Philip Rivers like as a guy?

SM: He's more of a natural leader. You don't have to prod him too much to try to lead the offense. You know, we have the best running back and the best tight end in the game right now and, so you know, just him being there and, uh, you know, just spark up the offense a little bit more and he'll, uh, he'll do that.

CC: Shawne Merriman, who was at the ESPYs last night, which are Sunday, 9 Eastern on ESPN, uh, Lance Armstrong's the host and reportedly does a great, bang up job. You know, the thing about the Chargers last year, the NY Giants this year, people think have the toughest schedule. Last year, you guys had this b-rutal schedule. And even though players say, ah, you know, it doesn't matter, you gotta play everybody, I thought you guys, by the end of last year, Shawne, I thought you guys looked tired.

SM: Uh, well if you really looked at the teams we played, the teams we played, we played some of the best, if not THE best teams in the National Football League last year and we actually beat a lot of the guys who were in the play offs, we just didn't, you know, ran out of gas a little bit at the end. You know, we just need to correct some of them games we probably should have won last year and win them this year.

CC: Is that a motivating factor? You look at the schedule this year- it's not easy- but it's easier. Are guys talking about that in San Diego?

SM: Well not really because, uh, you look at the some of the teams we play, like Arizona, and, and we have Seattle this year, and we have Cleveland. All those guys have new talent and they have new surroundings so they are gonna have some pretty good teams this year, and we're gonna just have to see what happens.

CC: How do you think Reggie Bush is gonna do? You're down in Southern Cal. He was a great player for USC. I think he's the best college player I've ever seen. How do you think that translates to the NFL?

SM: Um, I think he's gonna do, um, terrific man. I think it's not too much of a question of his talent. I think he's gonna, gonna go out there and perform. How fast he performs or how fast he expects everybody else to perform is gonna be the question. I think he's gonna do great.

CC: Of all the the draft pics, you still watch college football I imagine, you're just one year out of college, is there one guy in the draft and you've seen him play in college and you think he's gonna be very good very early? A defensive player potentially?

SM: Um, I think, uh, I think AJ Hawk'll do pretty good and I think, uh, the kid from Florida State, uh, the uh, guy from Florida State, AJ, uh-

CC: Sims you mean? Ernie Sims?

SM: - yeah, Ernie Sims. Ernie Sims's gonna be pretty good. I think he's gonna be, uh, he's gonna be a heck of a player.

CC: What about Mario Williams in Houston? I gotta be honest, I watched him in college. He was sort of an on and off guy. He wasn't always good. What do you make of him?

SM: Ah, well they said the same thing about Peppers. I mean, Peppers is, Julius Peppers is regarded as one of the most talented players in the National Football League, so uh, you know I mean, it's gonna be tough but he's the number one pick for a reason (I didn't catch the last few words).

CC: Well it sounds like you really like Philip Rivers. It sounds like he is the kind of leader you like.

SM: Uh, well not just myself. The whole entire team, the whole entire defense cause we have the confidence in him that he'll go out there and, you know, give us what we were missing, and I think he can do that.

CC: I gotta tell you, you live in San Diego. To me, that is the most amazing city in the country. Do you just surf all day? Do you just sit on the couch, just hang? I mean, it's an amazing city. For people who haven't been there, tell them what San Diego's like.

SM: Oh, it's great man. I mean we have only the best weather out there, you know, its people, and you know, we got the best fans, you can't get much better than San Diego.

CC: Shawne, good luck to you and the Chargers.

SM: I appreciate it. Thank you.

CC: Let me give you the schedule. They open with the Raiders. That's a W, then they play the Titans. That's a W. Bye, then they play the Ravens, that's a W. Steelers'll be tough, Niners, W, Chiefs'll be tough. Rams, W, Browns, W, Bengals'll be tough, Broncos'll be tough. Raiders, W. Bills, W. Their schedule is significantly easier. Last year they had to go cross country three times. Uh, this year, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. Oh, Pittsburgh's at home. Baltimore. That's their big travel game. I like San Diego. I like it. I like it alot.

2. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I duped this on the UT, since there was a biggie thread about it and you don't go there anymore. :icon_mrgreen:

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
  4. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    University of Texas?

5. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I like this part:

CC: Well it sounds like you really like Philip Rivers. It sounds like he is the kind of leader you like.

SM: Uh, well not just myself. The whole entire team, the whole entire defense cause we have the confidence in him that he'll go out there and, you know, give us what we were missing, and I think he can do that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I've heard McCardell, Neal, Hardwick (and someone else???) and now Merriman interviewed.

All point towards Rivers' leadership. That is a VERY good sign for things to come with this team.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    :lol:

Yeah, that's it. :icon_mrgreen:

8. Buttmunch

Buttmunch New Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Nice read Shamrock.

Shiat I'm glad to be talking football again. Off-season has dragged this year.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Stuff should start to heat up VERY soon. I can't wait. This offseason has draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggggggggggged.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Probably because of the anticipation of seeing what Rivers and our "revamped" secondary can do.
    :icon_mrgreen:

11. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Freakin tea sipper :no: :icon_evil:

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Shammie's a **** stirrer, is all :icon_evil:

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,223
    What were you expecting to be said? Smae thing was said about Drew. Same thing is said about EVERY starting QB in the league.

You guys read it as an anit Brees manifesto if you want, when you look for demons under every chair you will end up justifying how a dust bunny is a demon.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This week we will see some action. We are not the only ones who have not signed a single draft pick.

Camp opens the 29th, so these next two weeks will be a **** storm of activity. As if that was hard to predict. :icon_mrgreen:

15. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +632
    I just hope that Cro and McNeil are not difficult to get into camp. Two important pieces that need the camp time. McNeil especially if there are more issues with Obens foot.

I dont see it as an "anti-brees manifesto". But it does raise some questions as to how much of a leader Brees really was. Some of the examples he displayed on the sidelines were lacking.

This along with comments by other players has confirmed what a few of us have concluded.

16. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Agreed.

McCardell, Parker now Merriman are speaking out.....

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654