1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman not happy with GM's 'soft' comments

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By BERNIE WILSON, The Associated Press
    October 7, 2009

SAN DIEGO — Chargers outside linebacker Shawne Merriman isn't happy with a comment from general manager A.J. Smith that the team's play at times this year has been "soft and bewildered."

Merriman at first declined to comment after practice Wednesday, but then said: "That's an opinion of a person, and it's not needed. We know that we have to play better."

Merriman said the only opinions he's interested in hearing are those of his teammates.

The Chargers (2-2) lost 38-28 at Pittsburgh on Sunday night, falling behind 28-0 and allowing 497 yards of total offense.

Smith made the comment about the "soft and bewildered" play to The San Diego Union-Tribune in Wednesday's editions.

Smith didn't return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

:popcorn:

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Say goodbye Merriman.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :yes:

See ya Shawne.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    If anyone of these guys is childish enough not to be able to take criticism they shouldn't be in the NFL in the first place. Act like a grown *** man, take it personal, and go out there and do something about it goddamn it!!!!:icon_evil: Don't act like a whiny ***** and complain because your boss hurt your widdle baby feelings! You do suck Shawne, own it, do something about it!

I have completley lost all respect for Merriman, I have no affection or emotion left for him, trade him or cut him I don't care. Just get him out.

5. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Merriman's a retard. Good luck with your new team, you were stinking it up anyways. :tdown:

6. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Either this is one huge rehersed setup on the nfl they've had planned all offseason or see ya Shawne.

... the latter is much more likely.

7. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers' Merriman irked by GM Smith's 'soft' quip

SAN DIEGO (AP) - Chargers outside linebacker Shawne Merriman wasn't pleased to read a comment from general manager A.J. Smith that the team's play at times this year has been "soft and bewildered."

The Chargers lost 38-28 at Pittsburgh on Sunday night, falling behind 28-0 and allowing the defending Super Bowl champions to pile up 497 yards of offense. San Diego is 2-2 going into its bye week, and already is two games behind the Denver Broncos in the AFC West.

On Wednesday, Smith was quoted in The San Diego Union-Tribune as saying, "Everything is wrong with it right now. I'm not the least bit happy in a lot of areas. I've seen us be tough and physical to soft and bewildered."

Merriman at first declined to comment, which would have been a first in his five-year career.

"I don't know too much of that. That's an opinion of a person, and it's not needed," Merriman said. "We know that we have to play better. We met for an extra hour and a half as a defense as a whole to discuss what we need to do and things we need to do to get better. And we're going to make adjustments in this locker room as far as players and our attitudes and getting after people a little more. But all that extra (stuff) is not needed at all."

Merriman said it would be easier to absorb such talk if it came from a teammate.

"The only opinions that matter to me are the ones in this locker room. Anything else, it doesn't matter," he said.

Merriman returned to the lineup this season after knee surgery sidelined him for the final 15 games of 2008, plus two playoff games. He's been in and out of the lineup this season as he works to regain full strength, and has been affected by a groin injury he said he got from overcompensating for the knee injury.

The Chargers clearly missed Merriman's spark last year, when they finished 8-8 and won the AFC West in large part because of Denver's historic collapse. After beating Indianapolis at home in the wild-card round, the Chargers were exposed by the more physical Steelers in losing a divisional-round playoff game in Pittsburgh.

Merriman had 39 1/2 sacks his first three seasons; he's still waiting for his first sack this season.

Merriman said the Chargers are lacking an attitude.

"When you play with an attitude you want to finish plays," he said. "Playing with just a nasty attitude, that's something that has to be gained around here. And it's not happening right now - but I could say that as a player because I'm going on the field. We say that in the locker room as players. We say that to each other."

Nicknamed "Lights Out" because of his hard hits, Merriman said he's willing to shoulder the responsibility of the Chargers playing with more attitude and aggression.

"I don't mind being at fault for that," he said. "I've talked to several players on defense, and we all met, like I said, an extra hour, hour and a half, after the time we were supposed to be here, to get that fixed. We know that as players, we know that in the locker room and hopefully that we're going to keep talking among players and keep it here."

Smith didn't return a call from The Associated Press seeking comment.

Asked about Smith's comments, coach Norv Turner said: "I expressed my thoughts on Monday about that game. We're getting ready for Denver. We're addressing the things we need to do to play better against Denver."

8. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    The truth hurts. That being said, I just don't get all this sensitivity crap. I guess it's just how sports is nowadays. Can't say anything too hurtful because these ADULT athletes, coaches, GM's, whatever just can't take it.

Just get out there, play like supposed too all the critics will shut up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    EXACTLY!:tup:

Merriman is just crying because AJ hurt his ego. Merriman cares too much about his image, about his "star" status, about the bling, cars, and chicks to be called soft by his boss.

Great move by AJ, its time to weed out the pussies who can't handle themselves like leaders and adults. Merriman speaking out against AJ is proof he is neither.

10. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

What's funny is that AJ let a rift with Marty get in the way of business. The supposed hardass, who is never sensitive about anything, couldn't even get his feelings in check in a business setting. This is a guy who is notorious for holding grudges (not exactly a trait of someone who isn't sensitive), and yet over the last few years he's constantly getting in front of the media and taking underhanded shots at numerous players on the team.

Too many drama queens on this team, including the GM, and these guys are going to have to pull themselves together if they don't want this to turn into a real big dysfunctional situation.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,806
    My question is this - what was the question asked of Shawne?

Just like AJ's comments, most of the coverage is on bits and pieces of entire interviews. It's easy to take a quote and blow it up into something it's not. Just sayin' the whole of these news articles is to report on a "story"

The story here isn't too exciting. The defense laid an egg - they know it, we know it, AJ knows it. AJ's comments sound much more harsh taken out of the context of his Q&A. I'm sure Merriman's are the same. Considering all of the flack the players have been getting his make sense - nothing anyone else says should matter to them, all that should matter is what is going on in that locker room. No one else is on that field come Sunday, No one else has direct control over how well they perform but the players themselves (and their coaches to a degree).

That said - I think it's time the entire organization went silent, like what they did with LT's negotiations. Keep it in house, focus on getting things right internally and it will come around.

12. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    WTF good is Merriman this year anyway? He is on the sideline more than on the field. He will not be a Charger next year. AJ should just trade him now.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Merriman doesn't have to like AJ's comments. Merriman can say that he doesn't like what AJ said.

But, he does have to suck it up and play better. Right now, NONE of the players should be talking about ANYTHING. Focus on Denver. Shut the hell up until then.

14. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Yup.

Merriman is still on a paid vacation.

Trade him by the Week 6 trading deadline for line help and/or draft picks.

Once Jamal Williams went down - who the F are we kidding?

A.J. Smith is being held hostage by the burrito king (look at who signed LT). It is a nefarious and veiled attempt to piss off the fan base. It is working. :icon_eek:

15. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    I'm not backing Merriman here but replying to the GM in the media that he didnt like the comments to me really isn't that big of a deal.

The bigger deal is this premadonna GM we have who is all the sudden getting frustrated the last 2 years and airing out the laundry in the media.

Funny thing is, bolt players are disciplined for talking **** about the team on twitter or facebook or the cameras...But it's ok for a GM to do it, because he is a GM?

Wake up people and realize that AJ is as big a part of this downfall as the players are. He is creating an even bigger mess instead of doing it in house and keeping it under wraps.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    :tup:

No other GM gets in front of the media as much as AJ does, and no other GM goes and takes as many underhanded shots at players as AJ does.

17. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,806
    I agree - I'd pref they all went stealth.

For what it's worth, Merriman did say "I need to play better" did they report that tho? :icon_shrug:

The answer Merriman gave (which they didnt even credit where the interview was from) said "I don't know too much of that. That's an opinion of a person, and it's not needed," Merriman said. "We know that we have to play better. We met for an extra hour and a half as a defense as a whole to discuss what we need to do and things we need to do to get better. And we're going to make adjustments in this locker room as far as players and our attitudes and getting after people a little more. But all that extra (stuff) is not needed at all."

Is it really that far of a stretch to think the question was along the lines of "Do the comments made by AJ Smith, the fans and/or the media effect how you or your teammates do business? Does it motivate you? Bother you?"

18. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    AJ is a genius and by his comments he might have saved our season....in less than 8 hrs. its already lit the fire :) :abq1::abq2:

19. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    not too many soft guys get TV contracts.

If Merriman doesnt like it, then why doesnt he do something besides getting hurt.

20. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    How is AJ a genious?

Because he made some pretty good draft choices?

Because he made some pretty good trades?

If that is what you are basing genious on, lets just look at that. Because him talking **** about the players in the media is bullshit and frankly unprofessional.

What made AJ a genious in most of these brainwashed minds is the trades for Rivers, getting Merriman and Kaeding out of that trade. Picking up Antonio Cromartie, getting Cason, drafting Michael Turner and Darren Sproles?

Well....Merriman it seems according to most is an *******, ****** football player who has nothing left.

Kaeding is widely cried and whined about on this forum and many others about missing big kicks.

Cromartie apparently flat out sucks now.

Cason has looked ok, but lost at times

Turner we let walk instead of trading him so we got nothing for him.

Darren Sproles is a good kick and punt returner but is not much of anything else apparently.

Pretty sure the moves he has made to make him a genious are all starting to back fire if you believe what you read on this site. All these guys that made him "GAWD" around here are the same ones that will tell you that these players suck and AJ doesn't.

Rivers...:tup:

21. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I don't have a problem with AJ saying what he did, we all know he evaluates the season in quarters, and he said what we all see. I didn't read the whole thing, but I don't think he called out any single player.

What was he suppose to say? They are on the right track? We're happy with our first four games?

Why sugar coat it? Why should any of the players give a **** what he says if it's the truth.

It's like OJ getting pissed off at someone calling him a murderer.

I'm not defending AJ as a GM just this particular situation.

He didn't say anything we don't already know, and said much less than any of us have.

22. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    he is just preparing himself for the boo birds that are going to be singing Monday Night when we play Denver

23. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Exactly, just letting everyone know it will come as no surprise to him. I bet you he's the type that always wants the last word too.

24. Sydalish

Ratings:
    +1,806
    from twitter a bit ago....

shawnemerriman: I love how things get blown up for nothing, all that was said is that we need to play better & we didnt need to be told that..NOW HEADLINES? 12 minutes ago from TweetDeck

25. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Damn media.

26. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    I don't know how twitter works, but if you can tweet that guy back, tell him nothing can get blown up if he keeps his mouth shut and plays football.

• Like Like x 1
  27. LT-Express

Ratings:
    +434
    It's not about what he is supposed to say, it's that fact that he said it to the media.

Players get disciplined and fined by the NFL all the time for talking trash about there organizations and teams via internet or media. Why should it be any different for a GM.

AJ Smith realizes that he made a big mistake by hiring Norv Turner and is getting pissed off that we can't win. So he is blaming everyone else just like the players are.

He is as much to blame as everyone in this organization is.

28. !~BOLT~!

Ratings:
    +205
    Understood, but when you're the guy that makes the rules (deservedly so or not) not all the rules apply to you. He is their boss, period.

Him talking to the media at quarters is nothing new, and again he didn't say anything we didn't already know.

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    AJ's resume
    1) Getting Rivers, Merriman and Kaeding in trade
    2) Kaeding still one of the most accurate kickers in the league
    3) Finding major contributors in the 4th round (Sproles, Phillips), 5th Round (Turner, Naane, Clary) and UDFA (Gates, Cesaire, Dielman, Cooper)
    4) No team has had more starters from the draft
    5) of all those picks we've had a high percentage go to the pro bowl

Don't deny he's slipped as of late but we'd probably still be wallowing in crap if it wasn't for AJ's mid 2000s drafting.

And frankly merriman, you don't like it, then nut up or shut up. Prove that your the dominating player and prove AJ wrong or show that your not t he guy you used to be

30. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    You don't get it....he called them out becuase he knows they won't quit.

This is what he wants from his players, theres no way we are going to lose against Denver MNF.

He trying to light a fire,(and it's already working) as the season progresses you're going to see what these comment will do for the whole team.

A lot of people on here already believe a few players dislike AJ, so let the players prove him wrong....I think they will bring a new passion that we haven't seen all yr.

We won't be 8-8 or worse...we'll be 11-5 and possibly 12-4.:abq1: