1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman on the trading block?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 11, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Peter King on Football Tonight says that A.J. Smith is entertaining offers for Merriman. You guys think he'll be gone by 10/20?

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703

I think Peter King is a lying *%#*#* #%*#@*

That is all.

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I guess even moron's guess right sometimes... so it's possible but I don't think it'd be a good idea... some may be ready to write him off but I've heard more than one player refer to Merriman as the heart of that defense. Kicking him to the curb midseason would be a step in the wrong direction for 2009 imo...

I hope PK continues to be the ill-informed jackass we all know and love :lol:

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Only way I'd trade him is if we got a pretty good offer, and I doubt anyone is willing to offer much for him.

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    We'll never get full value for him right now. He's been burned for taking roids, he just missed an entire season with a serious knee injury because he refused surgery, and he has looked like a shell of himself so far this season.

Like when Moss went to the Pats for a 4th rounder, don't expect to see us get much more for Merriman.

6. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Then I'd rather keep him, that's basically a comp pick.

7. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Agreed. There are a couple ways this could go...

1) Merriman gets traded for a 3rd round pick (at best) and could go onto be great again with another team. Or a complete bust with another team.

2) We keep Merriman, he improves as the season goes on and possibly starts looking like his old self as he gets healthier, which could be huge late in the season and in the playoffs.

3) We keep Merriman, he plays average throughout the season, at least he's good depth at OLB.

I don't see us trading him, there is still too much upside unless someone stupid is willing to overpay.

8. BoltzRule

Ratings:
    +155
    Cowboys traded a 1st plus for Roy Williams, maybe Jerry Jones would drool over the thought of Ware and Merriman? :icon_shrug:

That would be our only hope of getting a good deal at this point.

9. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    If Merriman goes for any sort of draft pick, it sends a message to the rest of the players that this season is a write off and that we are re-building.
    No way he does that.
    Now, as a swap for a NT - that could be something different.

10. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If trading Merriman doesn't improve the team this year then why do it?

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Roy doesn't have nearly the baggage that Merriman does.

By the way I doubt AJ takes a draft pick for Merriman unless something dramatic happens over this week. It'll have to be for a player if AJ isn't wrapping up the season.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Can't see how we'd get anything worthwhile for Merriman since he's obviously not back at full strength

13. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    While I think you are right... what if we lose on the 19th to the Donks? 3.5 back with tons of holes to fill? Maybe time to deal for picks...

Just sayin' maybe...