1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman OUT for Detroit

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Just heard it on 1090 from Charger Park. It's a great time to rest him, as this game is not THAT important, but ruling a player out on a Monday is bad news. I hope this isn't something that lingers on and on like Marvin Harrison's knee has.

Norv said it wasn't a season ending injury.

Jamal, Goff, and Rivers are all going to be listed as questionable.

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    as long as they're good to go for the playoffs all's fine, one more win or one more Dever loss and it's playoff time (I think)

3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Good to sit him this week. Depending on how things play out, I'd like to see him play vs. Denver. After that sit all the starters as our 2nd stringers could beat Oakland EASILY. :yes:

4. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    It still scares the crap outta me that they ruled him out this quickly. I hope they are just being cautious.

5. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    It's not as far as clinching the West goes. Even if we lose it, all that we have to do is win one of our last two and the West is ours based on Division record.

That said, I would MUCH rather go to Indy in the Divisional Playoff round than New England, so for that reason I want to jump Pittsburgh for that #3 seed. I would also rather play a team like Cleveland than a team like Jacksonville in the Wild Card round.

Jags are at Pitt this week. Great game, GO JAGS!!!!

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    If they were just being cautious, they would wait until at least mid-week to make a determination, IMO.

I hope I am reading into it wrong. :no:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think they are just being supremely cautious with your BIG defensive playmaker

To be honest I'd consider benching almost all of them. Even godforbid we lose to Detroit, we get Denver monday night, win it and then we get the AFC West Title. I'd rather let them rest this week, play next week, rest again.

8. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Not only do we have great starters, we have some good backups as well....Harris is a stud. Pinnock has his **** in line and I worry not!

TBF

9. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

The Lions are all but done. I'm not saying it will be an easy win but they are a beaten team right now.

:yes:

10. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    We better bring the full fury of the bolt this Sunday, any team can win against the Chargers. We've seen it. The difference is whether the Chargers bust their arses and get it done.

11. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Me and you are seeing this the same way. Not good.

12. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Damn, I would like to see him in there.

Any news on the extent of PR's injury?

13. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We won four games without him last year, so hopefully we'll be OK. We've got enough pass rushers, and we're playing Detroit who is horrible giving up sacks.

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    This really pizzes me off consideirng the titans purposely took merriman out and tried to do the same thing to RIvers and several other players.

The nfl suucks if they don't jump on the titans for thier purposeful head hunting. :yes:

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That sucks but thank gawd we won yesterday or this would be really fuced news. We can beat Detroit but I don't think anybody should take them lightly and I hope our guys come out pissed off after yesterday. Whoever is filling in for injured players has a chance to contribute and I hope they take advantage of it.

:bolt:

16. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    True true true.:tup:

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't think that we should be looking at anything less than winning out. Hopefully this injury isn't too bad, but we can get it done w/o Shawne for a game or two. I'd like to see him play Denver, but I'd rather see him healthy for the playoffs.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the nfl better do something about this. FInes, suspensions and kicking certain titan personal out of the league.

If head hunting is allowed the nfl should tell the rest of the league so they all can do it.

The refs should be held responsible as well. THey totally looked the other way on many cheap shots by the titans. Nfl your credibility is out in the open on this.

19. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    I'm saying let Merriman rest this week, bring him back for Denver.

And you're right, if we can move up to the third seed, ok, play the starters. Don't think we'll get the #2 seed unless Indy has a complete collapse. I think the tiebreakers go our way vs. Pitt too if they lose only one game and we win out.

20. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2007-12-10-3383474368_x.htm

This AP article says Merriman called it a "strain." It could be a strain or a partial tear, but both Merriman and Turner say it won't keep him out for more than a week or two. I think that Rivers injury might be just as bad or worse, but as a QB Rivers does not exert as much force on his knee as Merriman does. If Merriman can't push off with power, he's very limited as to what he can do. Rivers needs his lower body to throw, but not as much as Merriman does to take on blocks.

They also listed Lo Neal out for the regular season, which means they think he could be back for the playoffs.

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Winning in the playoffs is everything, but homefield helps. We should be able to beat the Lions without Merriman. I'd rather see Merriman sit than to see him aggravate an injury that puts him out for the playoffs. A road playoff game with Merriman is better than a home playoff game without Merriman.

22. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Best point of this thread.

Fuq, I can't believe that the Playoffs start in 26 days.

23. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    I would rather see the Chargers play a rematch with Jacksonville. They played them tough in Jacksonville and at home they should beat them.

Cleveland is just the type of team that we have trouble with. High powered passing game and explosive offense. I know that their defense isn't as tough as Jacksonville but their offense scares me.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    WOW! I didnt realize that. I mean I realized it... but i didnt...

25. imported_Bolt_Attack

imported_Bolt_Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    You hit the nail on the head. The #3 seed will have an easier road than the #4. Most likely, the #4 will host the Jags in the Wild Card round and then go to NE for the Divisional playoffs.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Denver has a week and a half to rest up for us. This is a good week to rest Merriman. I would consider resting Rivers as well. If Volek gives us a big lead in the first half, then I rest even more starters and give the back ups some experience.

27. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Dog, I know that you see the Raiders differently than most since you're neck deep in Raider Fans up there, but they are not a good team at this point. If there is a chance that they can spoil anything, and I don't think that there is, that game will be a boat race. We will jump them like a crip at a blood convention.

The Raiders suck. That's not just a slogan. They are pathetic, completely outmatched by any decent team. I doubt they win another game.