1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman quote...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071209/SPORTS01/71209007/1002/SPORTS

Looks like we've got the makings of another rivalry. :yes:

2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Don't know what to make of this... Gritty, gritty game. Tons of injuries... Hope all is well w/Jamal, Shawn, Gates, PR...Too bad on LoNeal...Pinnock needs to step up

OH...This is my 1K post. Sweet!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Congrats!

To celebrate 1000 posts properly:

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?p=354170#post354170

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Someone put a hit on Merriman after Vince got knocked down, not sure who it was, but it was pretty apparent they were going after him, but the game wasn't very clean to start with a lot of late hits that weren't called. Game could of easily gotten out of control.

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-12-09-chargers-titans_N.htm

A physical game

Rivers called it as physical a game as he has been in, and there was plenty of evidence to back up that statement. The Chargers rolled up a 40-7 victory on Tennessee last season and rekindled the animosity early in the second quarter when Merriman flattened Titans quarterback Vince Young, eliciting boos from the Tennessee crowd.

Young had just handed off and was moving away from the play when Merriman jolted him. Young left the field, returned the next series, and said afterward, "It's just part of the game. I don't think Merriman tried to (hurt him)."

Seven plays later, Rivers was hurt when Antwan Odom rolled onto him, on a play that drew no penalty.

"We took it personal," San Diego safety Marion McCree said. "We said, 'Let's hurt them back.' "

Then LaDainian Tomlinson drew what he said was the first personal foul of his NFL career for straight-arming Cortland Finnegan in the face, out of bounds.

Merriman was knocked out of the game on what he contended was a cheap shot.

"Very cheap," Merriman said. "I was 15 yards down the field, away from the ball."

Tomlinson said his shove to the face was accidental, but was proud his team had won a game where it could have succumbed to intimidation.

"We can play any style. We can be physical or we can play a finesse game," Tomlinson said. "I hope people don't start thinking that if they come in and try to hit us in the mouth that we're going to fold."

CLICK ON LINK FOR MORE

6. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    “ … There were a bunch of cheap shots out there, but they can get some cheap seats on the sofa at home while they watch us (in the playoffs).’’

:lol:

7. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    What *****.

On the plus side, we did humiliate them with a nice rally. :abq1:

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    SM got lit up on that crack back by the split end... can't remember if it was before the play where he ran into Young (and Young got hurt). Damn... if I was Shawne I would have been screaming at my DB who was supposed to let me know that crack was comin'.

Oh well. I'm actually shocked that this team was able to fight through their early azz whippin'. They need to play nasty like this from here on out. No more finesse BS.

9. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    Merriman needs to shut the phuc up. Don't start talking about playoffs. We aren't there yet. In fact, just stop talking period. Play.

• Like Like x 1
  10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I don't agree, he needs to have zero doubt in his mind we're playoff bound, as do the rest of the players, what the mind can believe the body can achieve.

11. KNSD

KNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    Best "clean hit" of the game was Phillips body slamming their RB. Worth the 6 points.

12. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    *yawn*

• Like Like x 1
  13. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Not sure if I'm supposed to take this post totally literally as that really wasn't a clean hit. Total horse-colar and it's no surprise dood was slow to get up. There's a reason you're not allowed to tackle like that anymore.

14. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Oh alright, congrats!! :icon_toast: :flag:

15. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    I'm more referring to him and anyone else starting the talk and then not backing it up in the playoffs. I agree that they need to be mentally convinced they are going to the playoffs, just keep their mouths shut about it.
    A closed mouth gathers no feet.
    Some things from last year should be remembered. Like not shooting their mouths off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    :yes:

17. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    On the Merriman/Young collision, Young was running and looking back at the play when he ran into Merriman, Merriman appeared to be letting up. He could have knocked him into next week. Of course the imbread hillbilly behind us did not agree.

18. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    mr new guy ur wrong, we are doing what we need to do with the coach we have, we are modivating the team and thinking positive that we will be where we need to be

19. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    New guy? Me?
    Coach? Who cares. These guys are supposed to be professionals right? Their motivation should be winning. I'm not questioning their motivation or anything like that. What I'm saying is, stop talking about the playoffs and just get to the playoffs. And then, when they are in the playoffs, shut up and play. If all they want to do is talk, then join the debate team.

20. TCHDNSD

TCHDNSD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +28
    And I don't want to start a pissing contest but it would appear that my join date is one month older than yours. Going by post count, you certainly are a veteran.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I was very surprised at how dirty and cheap shot a team the titans were yesterday. They were pretty bad. LUcky it was at their stadium or the refs might have kicked half the titans team out of the game.:yes:

22. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I thought that Phillips' tackle on the Tenn touchdown was 1) legal as he grabbed the outside of the jersey and not the inside of the shoulderpads and 2) great!, that idiot was celebrating 1 yard before crossing the goal line

23. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Talking before the game is one thing. Talking after the game, and after being injured by a vicious cheap shot, is another.

I can understand why Merriman was pissed. His comments weren't unprovoked.

24. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It was a nasty, physical game. Yeah, there were some cheap shots, especially after the VY/SM collision. LoNeal is out, no question. Let's hope that the other guys aren't too bad.

One thing is certain - we played a tough, smashmouth ballgame, never gave up, & came out on top. That should put some air in our sails. :tup:

25. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The best revenge is living well. We royally punked them in their own house after we came off the matt and put them down for the count. We just told them we own the bastards, no matter what kind of crap they try to pull. We're headed to the playoffs, they're headed to the duck blind.

26. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Dood, I just watched the tackle again right here

http://www.bolttalk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10830

The tackle occurs at the 3:12 mark.

He totally has both hands between his shoulder pads and pulls him straight down. Looks like a classic horse collar to me.