1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman rested and ready

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Jan 11, 2010

It’s now been 17 days since Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman played a football game and he says that his injured foot feels better than it has in weeks.

One of the biggest benefits of earning a bye in the first round of the playoffs is the opportunity a team has to get all of its players back to full strength physically. Few Chargers will benefit from the rest more than linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG].
    Merriman battled a sore foot throughout much of the second half of the season. His practice participation was varied and he usually missed practice completely on Wednesdays, but he missed only the Dec. 6 game at Cleveland and the regular season finale.
    The Chargers conducted a walkthrough practice Monday and will return to their regular practice routine Wednesday. Merriman expects to be on the field some during that practice. It’ll mark the first time in 19 days that he’s put on a football helmet, and he says he’s benefitting from the rest.
    “I can’t put a percentage on it, but it’s the best it’s felt in weeks,” Merriman said. “Every day is going to help. I feel good and I’m ready for a great week of practice.”
    Merriman didn’t practice at all during the Chargers’ bye week last week and said he didn’t do much of anything. That’s contributed to him feeling better at a crucial time of the year.
    “A lot of rest,” Merriman said of his bye week routine. “I had it in a boot at times. I did a lot of balance exercise to get the feel back in it. Most of it was just rest and ice, staying off of it. It was good.”
    As the postseason begins for the Chargers, Merriman says his goals for January are team-oriented, as they’ve been throughout the season. While fans may focus on his four sacks, coaches and teammates say that Merriman’s impact goes well beyond that. He led the team with 20 pressures on the year and was a force against the run.
    “Shawne has done a great job,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “He’s really an important part of our defense. That’s a big deal that we’ll get him back healthier.”
    The impact comes in different forms than it did in Merriman’s first three years when he was in double digits in sacks for three-consecutive seasons. The Chargers have evolved defensively, and Merriman isn’t used exclusively as a blitzer as much as he was early in his career.
    “We’re doing some things schematically different, and I think because of that people misconstrue (Merriman’s impact),” Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera said. “I think people need to study what we do and you’ll get a little better feel as to the impact he has as well as the other guys have had. He’s been huge for us.
    “The unfortunate thing is people use the sack as the barometer as to how well he’s played. I don’t think that’s fair for him and I don’t think it’s fair. Look at the number of other positions that have sacks as well. We don’t just ask these guys to rush the passer. He and Shaun Phillips[​IMG] are a little bit more complete in terms of playing the linebacker position for us.”
    This season, the Chargers finished 11th against the pass after ranking 31st in 2008. While Phillips led the club with seven sacks and Merriman had four, the Chargers saw 16 different players record a sack this season. Turner and Rivera say Merriman has handled the transition like a true professional.
    Merriman admits that he wishes perceptions were different, that fans could see the big picture and understand that sack numbers aren’t everything when gauging his performance this season. However, he’s willingly adjusted to the different ways the Chargers are attacking people.
    “It takes away from numbers and stats and things like that that I used to have, but as long as we’re able to be one of the top teams on defense, I’ve been cool with that,” Merriman said. “I think it’s helped our success overall and hopefully it’ll help us have a successful postseason.”

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    It would be nice to see "Lights Out" instead of "Lights Off!!!" :lol: :yes: :bolt:

3. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Having a possibly healthy merriman would help alot. I knew he wouldn't be his normal self for a while for the knee to heal. Hope he is healed enough to be close to his self again. Best pass rusher in the league when healthy.:yes: Sure would help.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    then bring the pain Merriman, show us what a healthy you can do

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I'm hoping to see a Merriman homing beacon on Sanchez this Sunday. :abq2:

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Yeah its time for him to shut his damn mouth and start producing, sacks numbers aside he's been getting shut down and pushed backwards by a single blocker all year long.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    That's BS.

He produces plenty of pressures and tackles.

Stop looking at the damn box scores and watch the actual games.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    :yes:

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    But let's be honest, it would be nice to see some more actual sacks from him no? I don't think he's had a sack since the giants game

10. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    At first glance I saw "Merriman arrested and..." then I blacked out. :lol:

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'd be nice if he was being asked to rush the passer more. :yes:

12. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

13. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    ANd stop looking at the damn sack numbers as a measure of how he's doing.

Rivera is using him differently this year, in ways that won't produce sacks. Rivera is making him a more complete LB, not just a one-dimensional pass-rusher.

If you have a problem with that, whine and moan about Rivera.

14. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    we finished middle of the pack in sacks this year. I'm good with that.

more importantly than that we finished 11th in points allowed.

Bottom line, that's all I care about!

:flag:

15. WonderSlug

Ratings:
    +851
    I agree.

Even with all that, we had 34 sacks this year. Guess what that #1 Jets defense finished with? 32. Guess what the intimidating Ravens defense finished with? 32.

Hmmm...

Oh, we had another 10 or 12 just missed because the QB got rid of the ball right before he was grabbed.

The difference is that instead of the sack totals being concentrated to just 2 players (Merriman and Phillips), they've been spread out among a whole bunch of guys.

Just like Norv and Rivers are often having 8 guys catch the ball in a game, Rivera is having as many as 8 different guys blitz and get sacks in a game.

16 different Chargers defenders have sacks.

SIXTEEN!

That makes it more difficult to defend as a whole because an opposing offense has to worry about the pass-rush coming from anywhere and anyone, instead of just Merriman and Phillips.

EDIT:

By comparison, look at the Colts this year. They too have 34 sacks. However, 23 of those are Freeney and Mathis. What does that tell you? Stop those two and you shut down the Colts' pass rush.

Meanwhile, you shut down Merriman and Phillips, Rivera just has other guys come in and rush, like Weddle, Gregory, Siler, Ellison, etc. Rivera's pass rush and blitz schemes are more versatile than what the Colts are doing.

16. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    BOOYEAH!!! BROTHER!!

This road ends with a super bowl win if we bring the same intensity we've shown since week 5.

:abq2::abq1::abq2::abq1:

17. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I prefer Merriman keep doing what he's doing, with the proviso that if the Jets get behind and have to pass, I'd be itching to see Shawn be allowed just to pin his ears back and really rattle the rookie.

18. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Would you KINDLY read what I said before trying to jump on me?
    I said it would be NICE, i even agreed with some of your original point. I'm not arguing with your thesis, just a matter of preference and opinion.
    Or all of a sudden does the idea of your most expensive pass rusher getting sacks seem like a bad thing?

19. BajaBolt

BajaBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    Coincidentally, I believe that was right around when he injured his foot. He had just made his way back to form from the knee injury and then had to deal with the new injury. If he can get healthy, I think there's no doubt he can be dominant again.

20. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Thats why I said "SACK NUMBERS ASIDE". I am watching him, and I'm seeing him get shut down....that was the whole point of my post.:icon_shrug:....FAIL.:slap:

His run defense and outside containment has improved, but his pass rush is a shell of what it was.

21. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    :tup: hell yes. lets confuse the hell out of the rookie this weekend