1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman Scenarios

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by in_a_days, Nov 10, 2008.

1. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Well... it really seems like many of us (myself included) underestimated the impact Merriman has on this defense. I was one of the folks that very much disapproved of the way his injury was handled and I'm sure at some point I've suggested that we should let him walk at the end of next year.

But after seeing how pathetic our defense has been this year I don't know if we can let him walk away. There are so many different ways this can play out.

I don't think we would extend him before seeing how he comes back from surgery. But if he comes back playing at 100% you know he's going to file for free agency and test the market. If he looks like himself of last year... somebody will make him one of the most well compensated defensive players in the game.

So we wont sign him unless he plays well. But if he plays well he probably wont want to sign.

Or he might look like 70%-90% of his former self. If this is the case we have a much better chance of being able to sign him. If he doesn't look 100% he's not going to get a top 3 or top 5 contract at the end of the year. So he might be a little more inclined to sign here... but we will have no idea what we're investing in. After another year he might come back stronger than ever and put up double digit sacks for the next 10 years. Or he might pull a Lavar Arrington and break down in the next 24 months. There's just no way to know.

If he comes back and sucks... well that'd be unfortunate. Might get better, might not... Might re-sign him... might not. The situation is a lot more interesting if we assume he's going to, at least, still be some kind of impact player.

So what's your prediction? How are you expecting him to perform his first year back from the surgery, in a contract year? Do you think we keep him or lose him? If he plays well but refuses to sign an extension do we franchise him?

I don't mean to start looking ahead to next year already... but I think this is going to prove to be a major issue next year. Like Flutie vs Brees or Brees vs Rivers major. So start entrenching your positions now! :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Responding to this when I'm as pissed as I am right now is probably not a good idea but here goes anyway.

I think management will wait to see if Merriman can still perform at the same level after surgery before they pull the trigger on an offer to Shawne. If Shawne can still do it...he will never be offered the kind of money he wants and he'll be allowed to walk in favor of A.J's favorite ploy, the compensatory draft pick.

3. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Unfortunately I have a feeling he will be gone after next season. If I remember right he and AJ kind of had a riff. You all know what happens to a person that gets on AJ's bad side.

• Like Like x 1
  4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    [​IMG]