1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman seeking money from former Duke hoop stars

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Brent Schrotenboer , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 at 5:50 p.m.

While his holdout from Chargers training camp continues, linebacker Shawne Merriman has had other matters to deal with. This week it was an ongoing dispute in federal court with former Duke basketball players Christian Laettner and Brian Davis.

On Monday, Merriman filed an affidavit in Maryland that said Laettner and Davis’ company, BD Ventures, owes him $3.64 million, plus $998.76 per day in interest. The amount stems from a loan Merriman and his company, S.M. Real Estate, made to the former Blue Devils’ company in 2007. The loan was to be fully repaid in March 2009, but Merriman, who played at the University of Maryland, sued them in federal court in April 2009, saying he wasn’t repaid as promised.

Merriman’s affidavit this week reasserts what he says is owed to him as part of a request to the judge to make a summary judgment in his favor.

Under terms of the deal, Merriman was to receive rights in Laettner and Davis’ real estate and business ventures. Merriman has asked a federal judge to enforce the contract and award him a 10 percent interest in real estate projects in Atlanta , Baltimore and Durham, N.C. Laettner and Davis have been hit by multiple suits related to unpaid bills.

In deposition testimony in April, Laettner was asked about Merriman. Laettner said, “I know that we owe him money” and “we haven’t been able to pay him.”
    “Why not?” Laettner was asked by an attorney for Merriman.

“Because there’s not enough money available in the business to pay him back,” Laettner responded, according to a transcript.
    “Why not?” the attorney asked again.

“That’s a good question,” Laettner responded in the transcript. “I think the economy has a lot to do with it.”

2. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Man, Merriman better quit worrying about shiat like this and start getting his azz out on the damn PLAYING FIELD where he freakin belongs! I know this kind of off the field stuff just irritates AJ.

3. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    I'd be pissed too if some douche from Duke owed me over 3 million bucks.

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    It's not any of AJ's goddamn business ... or yours. Shawne has entered external business deals because he knows that football isn't forever & he doesn't intend to be some broken-down old hack who has to declare bankruptcy because he didn't look beyond his playing days.

Grow the hell up.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Yep, you can't trust those boy's from South South Boston. :no:

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Does Heavy D look like Shawne Merriman... :lol:

[​IMG]

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Starting to look like Suge Knight

Can't fault merriman for trying to expand his business but yeah this doesn't look good especially whne holding out

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Uhhh .... pardon me, counselor, but can you please give me a cogent reason why Merriman holding out has anything at all to do with him attempting to collect an apparently valid debt?

If anything, he's likely trying to get his money together in order to weather a holdout.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Dude, are you really expecting any of these guys to think outside of the playing field?

Well... Beyond the cheerleaders?

Most of these people hibernate from Probowl to Training camp...

:lol:

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Dude......chill out man.

[​IMG]

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Awe ****... Now its on...

[​IMG]

12. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :fan:

Is Conc starting trouble again...

:icon_tease:

14. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    When ain't Conc starting something or jumping peoples shyte???:icon_shrug:

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    :icon_eek: :unsure: :no: :crying:

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    After I get permission to treat you like a hostile witness, sure :lol:

I only noted that he seems more interested in this then getting onto the field or in keeping up his conditioning. I wasn't against him going after people who owe him money, I'd be doing the same thing. But I feel like he should be focusing more on the field then off the field. My personal preference especially for a person holding out for an asinine reason

17. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Quit saying stupid ****. :icon_tease:

Me? Hostile? :icon_rofl:

Like I said - he may well be getting his ducks in a row for a long holdout. Either way, with at least some uncertainty in his NFL career, I can't blame the man for wanting his money. Besides ... how much of his time do you really think this occupies? He's paying people for it to occupy their time.

You know ... lawyers ... like you. :yes:

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Dude, chill man! Save your anger for Bronco, Raider and Chief fans man! :icon_toast:

19. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I ain't mad. You're just dumb. :icon_tease:

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    At least I'm smarter than you! :lol: Just kidding man. Don't want a war of words Buck. I think once the season starts, we can direct our anger at opposing trolls. I think we can drink to that! :icon_toast:

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Dude, I'm just busting balls. Nothing serious here. :icon_toast:

22. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    This is a non-football issue. Good for Shawne for wanting his money. When you're a business man and not the product of the business, it's a different story in terms of wanting your money.