1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman Sidelined with Achilles

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Aug 18, 2010.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/aug/18/merriman-sidelined-achilles/

Merriman sidelined by Achilles'
    By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 8:45 p.m.

Shawne Merriman’s road back to the field and hoped-for return to dominance will have to wait some more and could be a bit bumpier than expected.

An Achilles’ injury Merriman has battled for several years flared up Tuesday night, and Merriman will almost certainly miss Saturday’s game.

Merriman, who sat out the first two weeks of training camp unhappy with a lack of stability provided by a one-year contract and no guarantee the Chargers won’t trade him, signed his $3.269 million tender on Friday and practiced for the first time on Monday.

“It’s tough, working my way back into it,” said Merriman, who said he was not shocked there was a setback. “I knew coming in that it’s a lot of work and we’d have to take it one day at a time.”

His Achilles’ has troubled him “on and off for years.” Merriman said it gets extremely sore and swollen and rest is the only solution. He said he is not worried about being able to maintain it during the season.

However, the nature of it being recurring is troubling to the Chargers, especially considering Merriman missed the final 15 games of the 2008 season following reconstructive knee surgery and was limited by various injuries (primarily a foot but also the Achilles’) in 2009.

“The training staff does a great job recognizing what I have going on and helping me,” Merriman said. “It’s just one of those things you have to watch and maintain.”

2. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'll hold the "I told ya so" for a while longer...but I feel is a little more than convenient that he was trying to get his long term deal done before showing his stuff on the field, and proving he could still play.

I for one don't believe he has "it" anymore, and wouldn't be surprised if the rest of his carrer is plagued by injury. AJ should trade his *** before anyone else realizes he's damaged goods.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. is trying to trade Merriman's *** but no one wants to give up the vault in draft picks or players. If we let Merriman go for anything less than a 1st Round pick plus another pick and or player, A.J. will be a laughing stock and his *** will be ripped apart by the fan base (not that A.J. cares getting his *** ripped by anyone).

Although, I agree - Trade this dude. He is not a team player.

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Cromartie had 10 INTs a couple years ago...we traded him for a 3rd that could MAYBE turn into a 2nd round pick.:icon_shrug: And most likely its going to be late in the round as the Jets are pretty good. I think if AJ feels Merriman is not longer an asset, a 2nd/3rd would be more than enough.

5. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    You've been listening to Rex Ryan on Hard Knocks I can see .. :lol:

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Well do you think they are a bad team?:icon_shrug:

I can see them winning 10 games, which means a mid-late round picks.

7. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    WTF?! Thanks for thinking you're too good for training camp and then getting hurt. I've always been a Merriman fan and have been holding out that he would return to form this year but I'm quickly losing faith.

8. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Dude, I liked Merriman when he first came out of college but I quickly realized that he might of been a product of the juice. Dude hasn't played a full season to date in the pro's. That's pretty sad.

9. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'd take a 2nd or 3rd rounder for merriman right now.

dang, not a good thing his achilles problem. Thats a bad one. Hard to fix. Dang.dang, dang.

10. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    So by the sound of it I wont be able to dig my 56 jersey out of the bottom of the laundry pile this year or mayb ever...

Stupid people do stupid things.

11. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Hmmm... maybe Demarcus Ware *would* have been a better pick.

I hope I don't have to appologize to all those Cowboy fans I flamed.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Sorry to break this to you.......
    Ware was taken the pick before we took Merriman. :yes:

13. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The man is not stupid. Foolish, yes, stupid, no. When I was of an age to have an IQ, it was 165, but there is more than one woman who would tout my some of my more foolish proclivities to the roof tops.

14. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Take it easy people. He's got a sore tendon not a torn tendon. He's not in Football shape yet. Lifting weights and running and athletic workouts are not the same as playing and practicing with gear and real players. I workout 4 days a week and am in great shape. I play a stupid Sunday softball game and I am a mess the next day. He will be fine. I believe he can be a strong force on this team. He may not be the roid maniac we all loved to see before. He is however a smart player and he really doesn't quit on the field no matter how they are using him or what scheme they have designed for him. He goes 100% every play. Watch some other guys around the league. You may not see the same persistence.

15. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    this is the kind of **** that happens from missing camp and then trying to catch up:no:

16. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    Missing camp doesn't seem to effect Brett Favre! :tup:

17. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    That's because he comes in old and injured to begin with...who could tell?

Favre is one of those quys who won't quit until he is taken off of the field on the back of the cart with something really, really wrong with him.

18. LV Bolt Fan

Ratings:
    +432
    And still manages to have his best (statistical) year,ever. :yes: