1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman Speaks: Stop the Public Debate

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by nickelbolt, Jan 26, 2009.

1. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I like his choice of words.... (but the big galoot probably doesn't understand what he's actually done) :lol:

Tomlinson-Smith public saga must stop now, Merriman says

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Quietly, some Chargers players have expressed indignation in recent days over the LaDainian Tomlinson saga.

Particularly, players have privately expressed consternation over General Manager A.J. Smith's comments in which he was interpreted as mocking the star running back.

Sunday, one player who rarely censors what he says and who has strong beliefs and no fear spoke out.

“That (stuff) doesn't help bring a Super Bowl to San Diego,” linebacker Shawne Merriman said. “And that (stuff) needs to stop, period. It needs to stop now.”

That is not far from the thinking from the top of the organization.

Sources said that team President Dean Spanos is “very upset” about the Tomlinson situation being discussed publicly. Spanos is “particularly bothered by some of the misunderstandings being portrayed ... based on pure speculation,” according to one source. No one in the organization has talked to Tomlinson since Spanos called him Jan. 15.

Smith has not spoken publicly since Wednesday, but sources indicated he maintains a deep respect for Tomlinson.

The team is considering offering Tomlinson a new contract or perhaps releasing him.

Merriman, a three-time Pro Bowler, missed the final 15 games of the regular season and the playoffs after knee surgery. He has already experienced his contract, up after 2009, becoming a topic of discussion.

“Going into next season,” Merriman said, “I want people talking about how we're going to rebound from getting ... bounced from the playoffs – not if LT is going to be there or if I'm going to be there.”

Merriman and other players expressed awareness regarding the comings and goings of the NFL. But Merriman would like there to be cohesion going forward.

“We're a team, upstairs and downstairs, no matter what,” Merriman said. “This is a business, but if you address the situation publicly now you have turmoil.

“They're going to make decisions upstairs. But we've got to be a team.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stor...merriman-cease-fire-tomlinson-smith/?chargers

My take:

In other words, LT... STFU. AJ... STFU.

What LT should have said from the beginning was something like: "My business situation will get handled by my agent and the team. I'm going to focus on getting healthy and coming back next year to help this team win a Championship"

Would have squashed this thing immediately.

And don't twist what this article said. The players are upset at the comments which were "interpreted" as mocking.

They're pissed that the focus is on something other than football.

LT started it. Remember that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    MERRIMAN SPEAKS OUT ABOUT L.T.-SMITH SAGA
    Posted by Sheil Kapadia on January 26, 2009, 8:54 a.m.

Time for what has become a daily update on the LaDainian Tomlinson situation in San Diego.

According to The San Diego Union-Tribune, players have privately expressed concern with the way the Chargers, and particularly G.M. A.J. Smith, are handling the situation.

Shawne Merriman is expressing concern publicly.

“That (stuff) doesn’t help bring a Super Bowl to San Diego,” he said. “And that (stuff) needs to stop, period. It needs to stop now.”

Team President Dean Spanos apparently agrees with Merriman and is “very upset” that the situation is being discussed publicly, sources tell The Union-Tribune. Spanos is “particularly bothered by some of the misunderstandings being portrayed … based on pure speculation,” according to the sources.

Merriman, meanwhile, said he wants the buzz around the team to be about getting to the Super Bowl, not players’ contracts. Interestingly enough, Merriman’s contract is up after the 2009 season.

“Going into next season, I want people talking about how we’re going to rebound from getting … bounced from the playoffs – not if LT is going to be there or if I’m going to be there,” Merriman said.

“We’re a team, upstairs and downstairs, no matter what,” he continued. “This is a business, but if you address the situation publicly now you have turmoil. They’re going to make decisions upstairs. But we’ve got to be a team.”

Stay tuned.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Don't forget Merriman STFU also! Mind your own business or Gawd will strike you down!

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    This is what alot of us have been saying and catching **** over it.

Good work Shawne, finally somebody stood up and said STFU, ALL OF YOU!!!

If you don't give the media quote after quote to twist and turn and create stories out of they will simply find someone else to bother.

:icon_shrug:

5. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Like said at the beginning though. The meat head doesn't realize he probably just kicked it up another notch. :lol:

There's more blood in the water now than before. But I do like his choice of words.

The next couple of weeks is going to be very interesting.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the media got this all started by slanting the story to suit thier needs. And are perpetuating it.

I won't be surprised that someone on the teams dog has a statement to make next week.

• Like Like x 1
  7. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Media causes much trouble much of the time.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    My feelings exactly.

Merriman is correct and he is speaking from experience. He knows all too well to STFU up now after popping off before the Pats and Jets played in the 2006 playoffs.

I still think LT is bent from the Brees & Marty stuff. His boy and his mentor.

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Of course that do. That's their job.

AJ could have put a stop to this in the very beginning. Just like he did with speculation about his lap dog, Norv!

10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    What does merriman care, hes gone next year anyways

11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Package Merriman and LT both for Detriots #1, that will shut both of them up!

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    If that happens, then AJ is worthless!!! :yes:

Send him to Detroit and bring Norv with him... back to back 0-16 season guaranteed!!! :lol:

13. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Are you implying that he has any value NOW?

Im willing to bet that not even Detroit would sign him as a GM if we fired him right now

Maybe Buddy Nix would sign him as his assistant in buffalo (is there a such thing as an assistant scout?)

14. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Merriman has an interest in it because he and LT have the same agent. If LT and AJ get something worked out that's better for him when it's time for a new contract. Plus he wants to win.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    All I know is that since that 2004 draft that seemed brilliant on AJ's part... the Giants have a Super Bowl title and are one of the most competitive teams in the league, as we continue to regress!!! :icon_evil:

16. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Merriman is right, this never should have gone public and we all know how it got out there. I'd hate to see LT leave but he need's to get with the project and stop the whining.

17. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    Now he's done it. Merriman will be gone.

18. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

Yep, it is too bad that AJ had to use his puppet Acee to start leaking **** to public:no: Bad move by someone who has had a history of using the media to propagate his bullshit.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    You are kidding, right?????????????:lol:

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    [​IMG]

22. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    my interpretation of Merriman's quote....

"everyone needs to shut-the-fcuk-up - keep it in house - get the deal done - focus on a championship"

Sounds like a good idea to me :icon_shrug:

23. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Oh no you didant... :lol:

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Oh my... :icon_eek:

:icon_rofl:

25. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I agree completely, but when can you trust the media.!

26. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    What is this boolsheet! YOU STFU!!! I laught at your bushleague psyche out boolsheet! HA!

27. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Don't stick your neck out too far Shawne...it might just get cut off.

28. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Yer funny! :lol:

:icon_eek: I think.... :unsure:

:icon_huh: Yeah yer funny! :lol: :icon_banana:

29. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :icon_eek: :lol: