1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Merriman Suspended 4 Games?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by O'reilly, Oct 22, 2006.

1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +469
    I just found it interesting that nfl.com is reporting this "according to a report in espn.com", aren't they [nfl.com] the "official" site of the nfl?, shouldn't they report this first hand?

2. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Such horrible taste... but too funny....:lol: :lol: :lol:

3. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    ESPN has some sort of announcement coming up on Merriman....Ch. 207 Directv regarding his suspension...they have been teasing it for the last 30 minutes or so ....

6. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    Thanks, I'll turn on the tube...

7. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Somebody said Ch. 212 as well (NFL Network)

8. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Yes... but how much "news" will it contain. I'm guessing it'll be more like a "prom putt"...

All lip, no hole. :whistling:

9. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Mort says he hired atty David Cornwell (Cornhole?)... used to work in the league office. Will most likely play this weekend and it should take some time before the appeal is resolved.

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Shawne Merriman has hired some dude named David Cornwell attorney at law. He used to work at the NFL leagues office. Cornwell also helped write some of the drug testing policies so he is a power hitter and well versed.

This means Merriman will play this weekend because the appeal process will take "a while"

As reported by ESPN ....

11. goboilers

goboilers BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +50
    now is ur chance - :tup:

he will be well served and once in a while we will get a *man* speech from u :icon_mrgreen:

12. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    To become an NFL agent, I would need a law degree and $1,600.00 as an agents fee payable to the NFLPA for representing under 10 players.

It is $2,100 for anything above 10 players represented.

It would take me 24 months to get my doctoral degree in law and those guys have to work too hard for a buck.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    That sounds a bit promising.

I think if he really thinks he's not to blame he should appeal it all the way to the highest court. It might have even been a young lab tech that mixed up the samples. By mistake was testing the queen of englands urnine sample. :yes:

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Good. Looks like TK called another one. :icon_banana:

If Phillips really will only be out two weeks, this could ensure that we'll have at least one of our Star OLB's for every game. :yes:

15. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I had a feeling that you already checked this out.

:icon_rofl:

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    So is that the all they said on the "Breaking News" tease?

Some of us working stiffs don't have ESPN at work.

17. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I suspect they treat urine samples like a cure for cancer in the NFL because of the $$$ involved.

It could have been a lab tech who was maybe a Raiders fan and got even by tainting the samples as well. :icon_shrug:

18. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +107
    rumors that merriman is going to speak soon are afloating..

19. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    That was it. I thought Merriman was going to say something but I suspect he is barred due to CBA ****.

20. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    I'm starting to understand the motive behind the appeal. I believe he'll play while it's in progress... This will buy some time for Phillips and Igor to return. I'm just guessing that he'll play while the appeal is in progress... :icon_shrug:

I did catch the comment to the affect that the commissioner is working on addressing the use of the appeal option as a delay tactic... Not those exact words but certainly what I came away with...

21. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  22. Carrie1219

Carrie1219 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +2,022
    You aint kiddin... It's reported that Cornwell also was involved in the development of the NFL substance abuse policy.

23. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    If we use Sammy Morris as a timeline template, it took the NFL 5 weeks to resolve the appeal (July 21st through Sept. 1).

24. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    That would be outstanding to buy a few weeks... as long as it didn't stretch into the postseason. Although I'm sure he wouldn't let that happen.

Here's a little more on the guy from the following article:
    Strong solid and steady: a celebration of the real black man
    sept 1990
    W. David Cornwell, 29, NFL director of equal employment, New York

FROM his Park Avenue office, David Cornwell wears two critical hats. As one of the National Football League's top attorneys; he monitors and advises NFL execs on a multitude of complex legal matters, and as director of equal employment, he develops and implements a myriad of programs designed to increase minority participation in every facet of the NFL. On his own time, he makes it a point to accept speaking engagements for Black youth groups where he can help dispel the negative portrayal of Black men in the media. "If young Blacks pick up the paper or switch on the TV, the media would have them believe we [Black men] are all athletes, entertainers or criminals and I know that ratio is just not representative," says Cornwell. "There are thousands of Black men in any profession you can imagine who are out there making their mark. We can't afford to let their accomplishments be swept under the rug. It disturbs me to hear people say they can't find a qualified Black man, as if you have to turn over rocks to do it. Just look around. They're making a difference every day.

25. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +629
    Thanks, T.

I want to hear what Merriman has to say before I make up my mind on this ****. Not freaking happy about it at the moment as a full 4 game suspension fuks our D big time with some happy passers(STL,CIN) coming up. Plus we have the freakin' Solju visiting when Clev comes to town, and good TE's have been tearing the D a new one.

26. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Merriman will play sunday v.s Rams. If the NFl detected steroids, he would not be practicing.

27. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Somebody on another site said they saw Merriman on TV and it was a supplement and not roids but if they were going to ban him he was OK with it......something like that as I am paraphrasing....He was also not allowed to talk about it....

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    He was on NFL Network. David Cornwell was there also. Shawne didn't say what it was. He only said that he has apologized to his teammates for the distraction. That he did nothing wrong. That he cannot answer questions about it because of the appeal, but that he would answer everyone's questions when they allow him to speak. He asked that no one pass judgement on him until the facts come out.

Then Marshall Faulk said that it's very interesting that he hasn't yet been suspended for something they're calling steroids. He stated that even though the policy terms it steroids that it could be just about anything included on that banned list you posted earlier... even TOO MUCH WATER!!

I ain't buying the too much water thing, as that's why they have a B sample. (or at least one of the reasons for it)

Sorry Shawne... you're still on the list, but I'm glad you're playing for what could be the next several weeks.

29. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    wow this whole thing that has happened has you know been a hard process but im dealing with it.

i got a chance to speak to my teamates and coaches and everybody earlier.

i have full support from everybody i basically appologized to them for this being a distraction especially for this critical time that we are going through as a team and a basically appologized for the whole situation and basically and that i am not suspended.

i am not running from this situation

i have been honest with everyones questions and try to deal with it accordingly hopefully nobody makes any kind of judgement or anything that basically makes me guilty for anything cause nothing has been done wrong on my part.

and i will try and get it straightened out as soon as possible

as of right now i am not missing any time and whats important to me is getting back on the field and help this team win and still become the person that i have been and become so far in the community people who know me

i mean people who really know me and know the kind of person i am.. and know that i am not going to change thru out this situation and this is something that i really am dealing with it and i have done and continue to do the right thing.

i am sorry for one and i am going to do what i can.

this is a mistake and has to be corrected. i am not allowed to speak on the matter for my behalf and for the behalf of the NFL. as soon as i find out that i can speak on actual facts then i will.

This is Merriman transcribed and edited in format to make it easier to read from another site (UT).

30. tboltzcali

Ratings:
    +107
    Quotes from other boards...

"Chris Mortensen on Monday Night Countdown just clarified that Merriman has hired an attourney that helped write the NFL's drug policy to help him with the statement he'll be making shortly. He says that Merriman is aware that the appeal process can be dragged out a little bit (something that Goodell is trying to fix behind the scenes).

Mortensen speculates that he's dragging out his suspension to help close the gap from when he takes his suspension and Phillips comes back so we're not so depleted in the linebacker corps."