1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman swaps super agents

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 11, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Merriman swaps super agents

Kevin Acee
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shawne Merriman's switch from one high-profile agent to another will have no bearing on his ultimate fate with the Chargers, but it could possibly hasten a trade.
    Merriman’s firing of uber-agent Tom Condon comes on the heels of at least two possible draft-weekend deals that sources said died due to Condon’s high demands for a long-term contract for Merriman.
    It has long been rumored that Merriman was consulting with super- agent David Dunn, and on Monday their union became official.
    Merriman, a Pro Bowler in his first three seasons who has been slowed the past two years due to knee surgery, the recovery from it, as well as a foot injury, is a restricted free agent who was tendered at the highest level.
    Merriman did not immediately return a message.
    It is no secret that he – like many other players caught in a side effect of the NFL’s labor strife – is unhappy with his status. It is also no secret he is frustrated that Chargers general manager A.J. Smith has no plans to give him a long-term deal.
    In fact, the Chargers continue to let other teams know that Merriman is available for trade. Dealings got past the preliminary stages with at least two teams during the draft but ultimately did not come to fruition because terms could not be reached on a long-term deal between the prospective teams and Condon.
    It is widely known that Condon and Chargers general manager A.J. Smith don’t exchange holiday gifts (or even pleasantries). But Condon also represents LaDainian Tomlinson, who got a massive contract extension in 2004. And Condon is the agent for Antonio Gates, who could well be the next Chargers player to get a big contract extension.
    Smith was asked his thoughts on the firing of Condon.
    “I have none,” Smith said. “Shawne made a business decision that I’m sure he feels is in his best interest. Who players have to represent them means nothing to us. However, it means a great deal to the players. They should have an agent they feel comfortable with.”
    Smith would not address any effect this might have on Merriman’s long-term status or how a new agent might be able to facilitate a trade.
    “Shawne was tendered,” Smith said. “Our intentions are that he would play for us this year. If there are any other developments, we will let you know.”

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I heart AJ

:lol:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It sounds like its Condons fault that Merriman wasn't traded on draft day.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I just don't understand this. The agent works for the agent. If the player wants X, but the agent demands Y, then he should be fired. Maybe that is what happened.

5. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Merriman's agent switch raises questions under five-day rule

Posted by Mike Florio on May 11, 2010 4:21 PM ET

Liz Mullen of SportsBusiness Journal reported earlier today that Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman has parted ways with CAA. Since then, Bengals receiver Chad Ochocinco has "reported" via Twitter that Merriman fired CAA and signed with David Dunn.

Ochocinco's decision to mention Merriman's move makes little sense, given that Merriman and Ochocinco routinely squabble on Twitter, and in light of the fact that Ochocinco is represented by neither CAA nor Dunn. Making the situation even more strange is the fact that Merriman "retweeted" Ochocinco's report.

In SportsBusiness Daily's "Closing Bell," Mullen points out that five days must pass between the firing of an NFL agent and the hiring of a new one. Though Mullen doesn't specifically state that the five-day rule possibly was violated in this case, she reports that the firing of CAA by Merriman occurred over the weekend.

If true, this means that the transaction violated the five-day rule. But we can't imagine Dunn, who has a history of having the NFLPA chasing him around, committing what would be a blatant violation of the five-day rule.

6. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    THIS is why I ****ing HATE PFT... whether Florio actually believes it or not means nothing, it's the perpetuation of their "feud" as reality that makes me want to kick him in the taco.

That said - **** YES Condon got fired :abq2:

7. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    I love it when Syd talks tough. :lol:

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Sounds to me like Condon was trying to jerk AJ's chain and actually wound up doing Merriman's. If Condon torpedoed the trades with his contract demands Merriman would be thoroughly PO'd, since it appears he wants a trade. Agents work for the players, so maybe Merriman wasn't paying attention when he should have been, but then he didn't pay proper attention to his injury either.

9. Nomadic Bolt Fan

Nomadic Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    :tup:

10. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Shawne Merriman was and is available for trade

Posted by Mike Florio on May 12, 2010 9:22 PM ET

When word surfaced that Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman left CAA to be represented by David Dunn's Athletes First, we assumed that the move was a product of circumstance. Stuck with the status of restricted free agent due to the niceties of the uncapped year, which blocked Merriman from a shot at the open market, Merriman is understandably frustrated. Since he has no control over the situation, the one thing he can control is the identity of his agent.

Apparently, there's more to the story than that. Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune reports that Merriman's decision resulted from three failed draft-weekend trades that collapsed due to the demands that agent Tom Condon made on a long-term deal for Merriman.

Per Acee, the Saints were one of the teams pursuing a possible trade.

That said, it's unclear whether a deal would have been finalized even if Condon's demands had been met. Acee reports that the Chargers were firm in their request for a first-round pick in exchange for Merriman.

Acee also writes that the Chargers have made it known that Merriman remains available. So if Merriman fired Condon and CAA because Condon wanted too much money, the question becomes whether Dunn will be willing to reduce the number to a level that another team would be willing to meet. Then the question will become whether Merriman's prospective team will be willing to give up enough to the Chargers to make the trade happen.

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Posted about 2 hours ago

Report: Merriman trade talks died due to agent; Saints were involved

NFL.com

According to the Union-Tribune's sources, the Chargers' discussions with the New Orleans Saints and two other teams died because those clubs couldn't agree with Condon on a long-term deal for Merriman. The sources also said the Chargers wouldn't budge from acquiring a first-round draft pick in return.
    Shortly after, Merriman fired Condon and agreed to be represented by David Dunn, another high-profile NFL agent. And Merriman still could be dealt: The Union-Tribune reported that the Chargers told other teams the three-time Pro Bowl linebacker likely will be available through the October trading deadline.

Merriman has skipped the Chargers' offseason workouts, but he visited NFL Network's "Total Access" set last month and was candid in his feelings about his situation. The uncapped 2010 season resulted in players having to wait six years for unrestricted free agency rather than four, affecting Merriman's ability to shop his services.
    "I don't think it's an issue with me and management. I think it's a situation I've been put in, along with 212 other guys," said Merriman, a five-year NFL veteran who's now a restricted free agent. "I've expressed to them many times that I want to be there. I do not even envision myself playing somewhere else. But right now I don't know if that's the case."

Chargers general manager A.J. Smith wouldn't comment on Merriman's future with the team when contacted Wednesday by the Union-Tribune.
    "Shawne was tendered," Smith said. "Our intentions are that he would play for us this year. If there are any other developments, we will let you know."
    Merriman compiled 39.5 sacks in his first three seasons -- making the Pro Bowl each time -- but he has struggled the past two years, partly because of injuries. He missed all but the season opener in 2008 with torn ligaments in his left knee. Last season, he sat out two games while dealing with nagging foot and groin injuries and finished with just four sacks.

"Yeah, I had a rough year," Merriman said last month. "Yeah, I had a groin and a foot injury that really slowed me down a whole lot. I came back from something that was tough for many guys to do, and right now, I'm more concentrated on getting back on the field 100 percent and performing like I do.
    "There's nothing more important to me than going out there and providing the things that I've been doing for my team for five years now. That's the most important thing going on in my life and how I can get back and play great football."

Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman might have switched representation after then-agent Tom Condon's high demands for a long-term contract contributed to three draft-weekend deals falling through, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported Wednesday, citing sources.
    Merriman, who said last month on NFL Network that he feels "a bit underappreciated" by the Chargers, hasn't signed his first- and third-round tender worth $3.27 million. He wants a long-term deal, and that apparently led the Chargers to open trade talks with other teams during the draft.