1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman takes another step forward

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Mar 5, 2006
    By Casey Pearce

Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman went through his first team practice in 11 months Monday as rookies and a handful of veterans kicked off training camp, taking another step forward in his journey back to the playing field.
    Merriman, who hadn’t donned a helmet since the Chargers’ 2008 regular-season opener against Carolina, participated in individual drills and the 7-on-7 period Monday morning as he eased his way back to full-speed football.

It’s hard right now,” Merriman said. “I’m excited to be out there, but they’re slowly pulling me back from doing certain things. It’s kind of better for me because I want to go out there and do everything right now. They’re gradually putting me back in the mix of things.

The three-time Pro Bowler wore a brace on his right knee and sported a blue Mohawk that had faded to almost green by the end of practice. Merriman claimed that his hairdo was an expression of his “Chargers spirit.” While a part of him would love to fully display that spirit physically as training camp kicks off, the Chargers will continue to be smart and patient with the man who led the team in sacks in each of his first three seasons.

He’s been moving great for the last month,” Head Coach Norv Turner said. “His workouts have been outstanding. His strength is good. He’s ready to get going. We’re going to be aware of where Shawne is and just monitor it. If he needs some rest, we’ll give him some rest. I know that coming off surgeries at times will get some soreness. We have times where we’ll be smart in how we get him ready.”

Turner said that Merriman will participate in the team’s preseason contests and believes the live action will be very beneficial for the fifth-year pro

Merriman claims that he doesn’t feel any soreness in his surgically-repaired right knee and he feels he’s in strong physical shape after an intense offseason workout program. He does, however, have to reacquaint himself with the little things as he comes back from such a long layoff.

There’s no particular part of my body that feels uncomfortable,” Merriman said. “It’s the overall mechanics of going out there and dominating again. I can go out there and play a game right now, but my mechanics … I really need to work on them and fine tune them. That’s where I’m going to be looking over the next few weeks to get better.
  2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Poor Jamarcus. :icon_twisted: :abq2: :icon_rofl: