1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Merriman takes rookie honor

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jan 4, 2006.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +744
    http://www.chargers.com/news/headline_detail.cfm?news_key=2514

When the Chargers drafted linebacker Shawne Merriman with the 12th overall pick in last April’s draft, they knew they were getting an impact player. “Lights Out” proved to be just that, and on Wednesday his contributions earned him Associated Press Defensive Rookie of the Year honors.

"I think anybody who goes as high as I did in the draft should be planning to be a game-changer, point blank," he said. "I figured somewhere down the line, if I learned fast enough and stuck by these older guys, sit back and learn as much as I could, that I could get out here and perform, that was really it. I've got a bunch of great teammates, and you almost can't go wrong being around those guys, with their years of experience."

Merriman entered the starting lineup in Week 7 and immediately made his mark. He recorded five tackles and sacked Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb. A week later, Trent Green became a victim of Merriman twice.

The Bolts’ top pick finished the season with a team-high 10 sacks to go with his 57 tackles. Since the team began recording sacks in 1982, no rookie had previously led the squad in the category.

"I frankly told him that he surpassed my expectations,” Chargers Head Coach Marty Schottenheimer said. “I thought he played extremely well. He's very, very competitive. He's bright. Given the fact he went through a number of circumstances prior to getting the opportunity to come in and start and play, I was pleasantly surprised."

Merriman won the award by a landslide. He collected 28 ½ of the 50 votes cast, a significant amount more than Seattle Seahawks middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu who received 16 ½ votes. Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman finished third with four nods, and Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware, the player taken one spot ahead of Merriman last April, received one vote.

2. y2craig

y2craig BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    I like what I saw from him when he played against us. He looks like a hard working and emotional fire-filled player. SM has a very good future ahead for himself and is an all-star in the making. I hope to see him in a Chargers uniform for many years.

3. Raiderssuckass

Raiderssuckass BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Congratulations to "Lights Out"! He definitely deserved the award and I can't wait to see him get even better over the years.

4. REALBOLTFAN

REALBOLTFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Well deserved...

5. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Definitely well deserved. Just look at the difference he made when he started to get more play time. Shawne is going to be a great LB in this league for a long time. :thumbsup1

6. ChargersFan

ChargersFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +4
    Earlier start

Just think what he'd have done if he started more games earlier. This guy is a MAN. He knew what his rank in the draft meant and he proved he was worth it. I was a bit worried at the beginning but he was worth the wait!

Congrats to Lights OUT!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. REALBOLTFAN

REALBOLTFAN BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Merriman makes me feel like little girl @ 26... how do guys get that damn big and physical at his age? I me him once and he was as nice as could be the dude has a neck like a pit bull

8. Chargerpower

Chargerpower BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    Dude, thats all he does for a living. Get buff and tackle people! :fumble: