1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman to get highest tender

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2010 1:49 PM ET

The report from Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune regarding the decision of the Chargers to apply the highest possible tender to restricted free agents Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd has prompted speculation regarding the tender that will -- or won't -- be given to linebacker Shawne Merriman.

And before the speculation could really get going, Acee has reported that Merriman will get the highest tender, too.

It means that Merriman will receive the greater of $3.268 million or 110 percent of his 2009 salary, which might have been only $2.72 million. (The NFLPA web site recently was upgraded, and we're currently unable to access base salary info. Hopefully, the media will still have access to this information.)

The decision doesn't mean that Merriman definitely will be a Charger. It only means that he won't be able to walk away without compensation as of March 5. The team still could trade him -- and it could decide to rescind the tender, too.

2. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Merriman also to get highest tender

Kevin Acee
    Sunday, February 28, 2010

Shawne Merriman is not going to be a Charger long-term, but the team thinks highly enough of the outside linebacker to make it extremely difficult for another team to take him in 2010.

According to a source familiar with the Chargers' plans, Merriman will receive the first-and-third tender.

That means another team would have to give the Chargers a first- and third-round pick in this year's draft if it signed Merriman. The sides could also work out a deal for less, but the high tender means it will at least take some high picks.

Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd are also expected to get the first-and-third tender.

Merriman will make more than than Jackson's $3.268 million and Floyd's $3.168 million, because he is due 110 percent of his 2009 salary. That will put him slightly over $3.3 million.

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Bad idea to tender VJack, there will be a team out there (like the Ravens or Jets) more than willing to give up the 25th or 29th pick in the draft along with a name-less 3rd rounder for a 26yr old star WR from one of the main competitors in the AFC.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What, you think they should have paid him twice as much and franchised him? Not a chance, very few players are worth a 1st and 3rd. They also still have the opportunity to match any offer they get for him, and it doesn't mean they aren't still working on a long term deal. But they had to tender him by some time next week or he can walk with no compensation.

5. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    Gotta agree. If people gave us a 1st and third for vjack we'd be loaded this draft!

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    No, I think we're Super Bowl contenders right now, and we have no choice but to pony up what he wants for a LONG TERM deal.

As far as getting draft picks in return, Arelious Benn or Dez Bryant arn't going to make our offense any better as rookies, it would be a major step down.....too big for a team looking for a ring.

7. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    That's just it.. the 1st and 3rd tender is more about making sure we keep a great player, but not a mandatory player. It ensures that if someone REALLY wants him, we get VERY well compensated... 1st and 3rd tendered players almost NEVER end up getting traded... it's almost as good as franchising, but for players that you COULD potentially live without... the odds of us losing both VJ and Floyd are non-existent... but losing one of them is possible.. We'd still end up with a potent passing attack, but have the draft power to do some SERIOUS improving elsewhere.

Franchising would just cost more money, and not really do much more than that in the end.

8. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    We could sign T.O.:icon_rofl:

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    /thread

10. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    That's why they simply match the other team's offer if/when he gets it. :icon_shrug:

I agree that going with the draft picks would be dumb but it's not as though that would be their only option.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I see your point, but I vote lets just get him locked up and check off WR as a position we won't need in the draft or in free agency.

12. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    What I was saying is that even if we DO lose him in trade, there's still a valid reason to NOT necessarily use a high pick to 'replace' him.. yes, he's an amazing WR... but PR's still got a LOT of dangerous targets if he was gone... what we COULD do with that extra 1st and 3rd to give our run game a LITTLE bit of a threat would, i think, more than make up for him being gone. Imagine the current PR throwing against teams that have to put 8 in the box to contain a powerful run attack? I'd take a downgrade from Jackson/Floyd/Gates to Floyd/Gates/Naanee if it meant beefing up the o-line/FB and putting a real threat on the ground...

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is easy to say "Get him locked up" but neither you or I know if they have tried and VJ told them no, or he has told them what he wants and they are ridiculous. I wouldn't give him anything more than what Roddy White got, but he may say he wants more. And in that case, the Chargers just have to let him see his options

14. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    GTFO. :2guns:

15. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I hope the Raiders take him. I would love to get their #8 pick!

Just imagine the possibilities... and Al Davis is known to do stupid things with his draft picks. ijs

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The Raiders salary cap (When there is one again) has got to be hurting with all the top 10 picks they have had. I'm sure they would love to relieve themselves of a top 10 pick.

Not sure they would do it for Merriman though.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the thing is. Could a team find a better player than merriman or jackson in this draft.

Answer. NO. Your getting a super stud player. Proven and all.

Chargers are one of the few teams that could take this hit if some team takes them. CAuse they have Buster davis and larry english. It would still hurt. But with some first round picks I'd have to guess the chargers could pad the team big time.

18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I was thinking of washington. They're always going after the studs.

Or dallas going after jackson. Both dallas and washingtons owners have more money than they know what to do with.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    McNeil is the guy I think has the highest likely hood of being signed by another team. Stud left tackles are one of the hardest position to find. WR's and pass rushers are not nearly as difficult to find, even good ones

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Merriman isn't pleased with RFA tender

Mike Florio on February 28, 2010 8:52 PM ET
    Even though he'll receive the highest possible tender as a restricted free agent, Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman doesn't seem to be happy with the situation.

Not happy at all.

"Speechless today," he said earlier tonight via Twitter. "Business is business but some things just aren't right."

He's surely talking about the fact that, despite five NFL seasons and an expired contract, he's not eligible to hit the open market, and he's restricted by a provision that would require a team who signs him to give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick to the Chargers.

But Merriman shouldn't be upset with anyone but the NFL Players Association, which agreed to a provision that extends by two years the minimum years necessary to become an unrestricted free agent in an uncapped year. And if he wants to see that change, he needs to press the union to get a deal done by Friday that moves the minimum from six back to four.

Merriman also shouldn't be speechless. He knew or should have known this day was coming since May 2008, when the league exercised its right to terminate the CBA two years earlier, making 2010 an uncapped year -- and preventing Merriman from becoming a UFA.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    What I 'm thinking with mcneil is in this draft there are like 3-5 good left tackles. And teams may just go after them instead. But you are right. Maybe a team would rather get an expierenced one. Then we have to hope one of the good left tackles in this draft is still on the board. One should be. Depends on who snags mcneil I guess. I think we get two first rounders for the tender their gonna put on mcneil.

Its gonna be interesting. There is the possibility that teams go for our four tendered players and hand us 4 first rounders. Which might set us back some. But we should be able to handle it. . It would be some kind of rebuilding process with all those first rounders. I think we could handle it.

22. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The San Diego Union Tribune reports the Chargers are going to make it difficult for four of their restricted free agents to leave.

Receivers Vincent Jackson and Malcom Floyd, linebacker Shawne Merriman and left tackle Marcus McNeill will also receive the high tender. Any team that wishes to sign any of these players will have to surrender a first and third round pick to sign the players. Even if a team decides to swallow the high cost, San Diego would have the right to match the offer.

The only player who could possibly attract a first and third-round pick may be Jackson.

Jackson and McNeill were expected to get the high tender. Merriman and Floyd’s designations are a bit surprising, but the Chargers value both players.

23. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    Some? It would take us out of Super Bowl contention next year, but if all those first rounders pan out we could be right back a couple years down the road.
    It would be nice to get a mid-first round pick for Merriman or Floyd, but I wouldn't want to lose more than one of our guys.
    I really hope we keep VJ.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The highest RFA tender is a 1st and 3rd. He would have to be franchised to get 2 firsts, and that would cost about twice as much

25. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    it might. But we've got a couple players that could fill in. Loosing mcneil might hurt the most. English could take over for merriman. Buster could take over for jackson. Loosing floyd could be a problem. Even if we got good players in this draft to replace them it would take a year or two for them to get up to speed. So yep, we'd take a step back initally. Loosing mcneil is my one big worry.

It didn't even occur to me till I thought about it for a while. But I could see teams actaully going after our guys. Their proven talent and they will do the job day one.

This could be one wild offseason. Hang onto your hats.

26. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    thanks for the info., I wasn't sure.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    No problem