1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman - Trade Bait

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    • By Michael Lombardi NFL.com
    • Senior Analyst
    • Published: July 29, 2010

[​IMG]

San Diego trades defensive end/linebacker Shawne Merriman to Atlanta for inside linebacker Stephen Nicholas and a third-round pick in 2011. If Merriman re-signs with the Falcons, then the pick becomes a second-rounder.

Besides Merriman's appearance on the HBO show "Entourage," the Chargers have seen very little of him this offseason.
    Merriman's career is at a crossroads, in spite of the cameo on TV. Almost everyone I talk with wants to know which player the league will see this year -- the dominant player who collected 39.5 sacks in his first three years, or the one that is recovering from injuries and has only four sacks to his name the last two seasons.
    With Merriman there is always a little cloud around his play. Was his great first three years a result of steroids use (which he was suspended for), or rather just his raw talent? Even the Chargers don't know the answer to that question. They do know, however, they are not going to re-sign Merriman to an extension next year unless he returns to his 2006 form (when he had 17 sacks in just 12 games).
    The Falcons would be a perfect team for Merriman to re-establish his career. Indoors, perfect field conditions, a loud crowd, and a great bookend rusher in John Abraham.
    The Falcons need a dominant rusher (who doesn't?) and taking a chance on Merriman would be a smart move. They drafted Sean Weatherspoon in the first round and need to get him on the field, thus making Stephen Nicholas expendable.
    The Chargers can assume they will get a compensatory pick (a third-rounder) from losing Merriman, if there is a new CBA and if -- a big "if" here -- the framework of the current system stays in place. Therefore to make the deal now, they would need to get a second-rounder and another asset. With the conditional second, the Chargers are still at no risk.
    If the Falcons re-sign Merriman, they get the two, which is better than the compensatory. And if they don't, they still gain a third-rounder which would be a higher three than any compensatory three. Win-win for the Chargers.
    Merriman needs to realize that no one is going to give him a new deal unless he plays well this season. Yes, his statistics for the first three years are Entourage-cameo worthy, but there are some real issues that make any long-term investment very risky. The Falcons take a risk but are protected by just giving away a third-round pick and a player who was not going to be a starter.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...ld-happen-to-improve-both-teams?module=HP_cp2

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Makes no sense. The Chargers do not need another backup ILB.

3. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    So the Chargers would trade Merriman for basically a backup ILB who was a 3rd round pick and another 3rd round pick.

Merriman is worth at least a 1st and a 3rd as it is. If he returns healthy he is worth more.

Francahise OLB, potential HOF, Probowler, for a backup ILB who at best is a backup for the Chargers and a pick. Yea a win win.. For the Falcons. Any team would take a deal like that for Merriman.

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Lombardi is either an ATL fan or on crack.

5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    thats what I was thinking. Were pretty stocked everywhere but left tackle and wr. Mainly we need a left tackle. Where are you mcneil. Sign your long term deal please.

I would just go for one very good draft pick or 2 good draft picks that we could use next year to maneuver into getting a really good left tackle if mcneil(god forbid) doen't sign back on..

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    This doesn't make any sense and someone's playing a joke on us

7. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    I thought the lombardi was that nasty dance from Brazil...
    Or is this jerkoff actually related to Vince?...

Pointy :icon_twisted: :icon_shrug:

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Wow what a stretch. :lol:

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'd hate to lose SM and have to watch him return to form and dominate the way he used too. He's not asking much, he just want's to play out this year in Dego, what's the harm in that?

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    We don't have no trade clauses in football
    Merriman wants to make sure he's not traded, tell him to play like someone who deserves to be in the NFL

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887

Prior to his injury there were not to many OLB's that were even in his class. The only thing he needs to prove, is that he has healed sufficiently to play at the level (or close to it) that he is known for.
    I'd rather he do it in San Diego than somewhere else.

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Prior to his steroid suspension there were not to many OLB's that were even in his class. The only thing he needs to prove, is that he can play "clean" at the level (or close to it) that he is known for.

13. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    This guy is on crack for sure. :icon_rofl:

14. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    **** I thought this actually happened and was about to double facepalm. I'm a merriman believer

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    All except for one thing, you, I or anyone outside of Merriman knows for sure if he was juicing all that time. We can assume he was and you know what that means.

16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    ASSume or not he popped positive. Has he proven anything since then? :icon_shrug:

17. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    WTF is this bullshit?!

Michael Lombardi is a gaylord.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If Merriman doesn't come in a play, AJ is not going to drop a contract on him and he will lose most of his offer. He also will have functionally missed three seasons of ball, so I wonder if he is kissing a really big deal away. Anyone who signs him if he holds out this season will be really stupid if the contract isn't heavily structured around incentives.

19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Lombardi's football opinions are always shockingly stupid. He's more of a "inside rumor" guy, and he should stick to that.

20. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If I recall correctly, after his suspension he was playing just like he always did. He developed a knee problem later in that same year, the same knee the Titans went after. So in a way your right other than you left one small detail out. The man was playing on shredded knee, we later found out Philip also had a knee problem.