1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman will be in-studio analyst

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Aug 21, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Chargers' Shawne Merriman will be in-studio analyst

San Diego Chargers outside linebacker Shawne Merriman, left, will be an in-studio analyst for FSN's Pro Football Preview.

Fox says it will be the first time a current player has served in a full-time capacity for any national pregame studio show for any sport.

By Sam Farmer, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    August 21, 2008

San Diego's Shawne Merriman is already one of the NFL's best defensive players. This season, he'll be the quintessential multi-tasker.

The Chargers linebacker will be an in-studio analyst for FSN's Pro Football Preview, which Fox says will be the first time a current player has served in a full-time capacity for any national pregame studio show for any sport.

The show will be taped in Los Angeles on Thursdays, and Merriman will be flown by private plane to and from San Diego so that he doesn't miss practices. He will be joined on the show by host Jay Glazer and analyst Eddie George.

"It is one thing to have somebody who played talk about what's going on each week, but to have somebody who is still playing takes our show to another level," Fox Senior Vice President Rick Jaffe said in a written statement. "The insight he will bring just raised the bar for every NFL pre-game show on television."

I don't like this one bit. :no:

2. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Me neither :tdown:

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    If Merriman thinks he up to all that traveling...still I don't like it either. But I'll watch. Shawne Merriman is an honest, but in no way humble, player. He tells it like it is and throws a little bit more attention towards San Diego. I should be interesting but I don;t want him doing all that traveling.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    As long as it doesn't affect his play on Sundays I don't really care.

5. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    A private jet from SD to LA is not what I would call traveling.

I just don't want him saying something stupid like he did before the Jets v NE playoff game 2 yrs ago. No bulletin board material.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    True DAT!!

We all know what happens to players when they go Hollyweird

7. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    That was my first worry-that his cohorts would trick or goad him into putting a burr under the upcoming opponent's saddle. Be cool, Mr. Merriman.

8. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    True Dat!

9. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    LA to SD isn't really much of a worry especially since he'll be on a private jet. It'd be totally different if he was going to NY or something.

As long as he doesn't say something stupid then good for him.

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Hey, if Merriman likes the gig it might make him more likely to re-sign with SD. :icon_shrug:

I don't see this as being a big deal. We don't have any idea what these guys do in their off time. Some fly to visit family. Some go to Vegas to party. Flying to LA from SD is like driving from SD to La Jolla.

11. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah, but landing at LAX every week and then cutting through traffic on your way to say some stuff about the upcoming games gets hard after awhile. Also I think it's a plan to put Merriman in the hot seat so he can talk about himself and trash talk opponents. Remember Jeff Fisher's "hit"? That could become common practice. SM, we're with ya but don't say anything stupid.

12. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    i thin kassim should of went. he has a nack for talking alot. as long as this doesen't hold back the knee recovery im good.:tup:

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Maybe he's practicing for his new career after the career-ending knee injury. :icon_tease:

14. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
  15. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    isnt this something you do when your career is over? lol

16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings: