1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman will not be on time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 2:51 p.m

Shawne Merriman will not report to training camp, likely until he gets some assurances that he isn't going to be in limbo.

Merriman said he is not looking or a long-term contract or even a raise from the $3.269 million the Chargers have offered in a one-year tender.

"It's not about me wanting more money," Merriman said. "I will show what I deserve. I don’t have to ask for it. I feel like I've proved what I'm worth, and I will still prove it. To me, it really comes down to, 'Am I on the trading block this week? The third week of the season, am I on the block?' Where is that comforability for me?

"I'm only coming back to be the guy on the defense. I'm not coming back to be a guy. I want to be on a team where someone is going to be building a defense around me."

Merriman said Thursday afternoon he won't report to training camp in advance of Friday's first full-squad workout, but beyond that he will continue to assess the situation.

"This is literally day to day how things progress, how things move," he said. "I don’t want this to be a distraction to my teammates. I don't want this to be a distraction to me. I just want to get something resolved soon and go from there. The bottom line is when I get back on the field I plan on doing what I do best, and that is playing."

:popcorn:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/29/merriman-will-not-be-on-time/

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Well... at least he's not a douche about it?

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    He wants to be here. That is a positive in my book!

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I agree.

5. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

What a joke.

He's in for a rude awakening unless he really brings it this year

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Merriman's game has suffered from the injury he failed to have surgery on. I understand his stance though, I also believe he want's to stay in Dego. Hopefully he's seen the light and a bit of maturity has set in, how much better can it get than San Damn Diego??????????

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He also suffered by having a horrible DC calling his plays for the year after his best year. But the injury was the biggest issue

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    His comment is completely disingenuous - he wants long term money. Either from SD or some other team

He has a tender to sign, that's all that can be offered. Should he be given what no player basically gets - a no trade clause? He is offended to be on the trade block - he can fix it by getting his *** to camp and showing he's not great when only on the juice.

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I just dont get the vitrol levels around here.

10. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the one thing that I don't understand is. Did merriman mention something about a trade when he might sign his tender. Seems he was hinting at that. Something just doesn't seem right with this. I'm sure merriman can miss some time in camp and still do well. But his mention of fear of being traded was the odd thing to me.

11. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    and you can thank the bounty put on him by the titans for that. titans must die. They're just as crooked as the donks when it comes to head hunting and bountys on players.:yes:

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    It's a combination of wanting his money and wanting piece of mind. Ever since the injury and the subsequent drafting of Larry English, Merriman has been "more or less" on the block... that's right around 15-18 months. I don't see this as being a "Jay Cutler" type scenario where he's getting totally bent out of shape because his ego's bruised that the team is even considering him "trade-able". Merriman's stance has seemed to be if you want to trade me, then trade me. If you want to keep me, keep me.

He's playing the cards he's been dealt and he knows that at some point he's going to have to play to show whether or not he's regained his pre-injury form to justify the big pay day he's seeking (no team is going to give it to him sight unseen which is why no trade has been able to have been reach with him as an RFA; no guarantee of an extension with the new organization meant Merriman wouldn't sign his tender thus preventing the transaction). This is the last bit of leverage that he's got right now, and he wants to make sure that he gets a full season to showcase what he's got left in the tank (i.e. a full 16 games to show it, not just potentially 6 leading up to the trade deadline).

I can sympathize. I have no idea whether AJ will actually grant it. But call me crazy (and I am a gambling man), I roll the dice. it's not like we're going to be able to trade him if he continues to hold out.

13. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Merriman just needs to shut up, suit up and go prove that he has returned to his pre-injury sack machine status....or that he hasn't.

If he is 100% healthy and can indeed produce at previous levels then he will have a season long audition for all 32 teams. Until he can show that he can be a game changer again the big money, long term deal he wants is not going to happen (with any team, except maybe a desperate cellar dweller).

Lights....buddy...pull up your big boy pants and go crush some quarterbacks... Ok?

14. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    First of all, why would we build a defense around a OLB with 4 sacks last year? That seems dumb! Second, if you want to be "the guy" and not just "a guy" freaking get on the field and do it. You can't be "the guy" if you are't on the field.

And lastly, the possibility of being traded is part of being a pro athlete. Its nothing new. All these guys should know its a possibility and part of the business, at least they have the funds to uproot when needed.

I have to say I thought for sure based on everything I saw this off season that 56 would be in camp ready to prove his worth. But these statements just give me doubts that even he has faith in his ability to prove anything to anyone. :no::no::no::tdown:

15. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Fail. Did you start watching the Bolts play in 2009 or what? Merriman has been on this team since 2005. Let me give you this man's stats year by year.

2005: 57 tackles, 10 sacks
    2006: 62 tackles, 17 sacks
    2007: 68 tackles, 12.5 sacks
    2008: 1 tackle, 0 sacks
    2009: 36 tackles, 4 sacks

As you can see, he had a very productive first three years, and then a significant dropoff thereafter. If you don't recall, I'll refresh you some, Merriman underwent surgery in 2008 after suffering a knee injury in 2007, meaning 2009 was a recovery year for him. Why wouldn't you build a defense around him? He's a proven dominant player who OC's have to heavily gameplan for.

16. Bolt-tastic voyage

Ratings:
    +11
    Uhhhhh I think I have been a Chargers fan long enough to know what Merriman did before his injury. But he didn't play in 08 and 09 he was a shadow of his former self. So unless you are a psychic who has seen him tearing up QB's in 2011 why on earth would you expect anything more than you saw of him last.

If you actually read my whole post you'd see that my point was if he wants to be "the guy on the defense all he has to do is show up and be that. you are "the guy" if you play like "the guy" Not once did I say Shawne Merriman has never been good, or was not worthy of at on point having the D built around him. The point is if he wants that now, he will have to show us that its the smart thing to do.

But thanks for the Shawne Merriman history lesson, I'm sure no one on this forum had a clue who he was until you filled us all in. :lol:

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +503
    What a load of crap.

He does not want a long-term, and he does not want more than the 3.something million this season.

(or so he says)

So why is he holding out then?. What does he stand to gain?. Moreover look at what he stands to lose (in terms of good practice time).

STFU Shawne and get into camp and perform.

I reckon he knows in his heart of hearts that he is never going to get back to anything like his rookie/2nd yr form and is hoping he can cash in with another team before that is plain for all to see on the field.

18. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    This isn't Madden, you don't bounce back from an injury like that right away obviously. If you keep up enough with people who have those types of injuries tend to bounce back after their second year back. I'm just wondering why you would expect him to have had a monstrous season after him suffering a knee injury. If the guy puts the numbers up this year I say why NOT build around the guy? He's a game changer, we don't have too many of those around these parts.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Sounds to me like he just want's to play out the year in Dego. Did I miss something?

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He has said the same thing. He specifically said, it isn't about wanting more a new contract or an increase over the tender, he just wants peace of mind to know that he isn't going to be traded mid season. I can't say I blame him.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Because he is Healthy. Something he wasn't last year. Will he be dominant, no one knows. But he has shown that when healthy, he can be dominant

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Or maybe it is exactly what he says. He just doesn't want to deal with the distraction of wondering week to week if he is going to be traded. Why people automatically think people are lying, i just don't get.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Nope, I think you have it right. He just doesn't want to deal with a distraction of wondering if he is going to be traded ever day

24. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    But he's not in any kind of position to make demands like that. He has no leverage until he gets out the field and proves that he's back. So he just needs to STFU and like he says "bring his lunch pail" and get to work.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He does have leverage. He can not show up. It isn't an unreasonable request on his part. If the team is still looking to trade him, fine, do it. If not, then let him know he is a Charger for 2010

26. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    But everyone knows that unless he shows up eventually and proves that he's back he's not getting the big pay day that he wants. The longer he stays away the more damage he's doing to himself.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And everyone also know that the longer he stays away, the less likely the Bolts are to having a good defense.

28. Bolt-tastic voyage

Ratings:
    +11
    Big Mike, I can't even talk to you anymore. I can't keep repeating myself. Obviously you don't understand the point that this is the year he needs to show us that we or some other team should build a D around him. If you want to live in fantasy land where every player with major knee surgery returns to pro bowl form thats fine by me. But while I am hopeful for him to be a beast, I and every football analyst believe he needs to prove to the world that he is back before he is given a boat load of cash.

29. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Dude, Merriman has already said that he knows he has to come out and prove it to everyone. No one is denying that. The point is, he wants assurance that he won't have to worry about being traded for the next 4-5 months, and I don't blame him

30. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    go back and read what i said and try again. smh. :icon_huh: