1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Merriman's 'hawk, Buster's silence

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee

[​IMG]
    July 27, 2009, 1:19 p.m.

Rookies and a handful of veterans completed the first workout of training camp -- or what should more aptly be refered to as pre-training camp.

Merriman, sporting a dark blue mohawk that his sweat turned aqua by the afternoon, did individual drills and participated in seven-on-seven during team drills.

His exclusion from 11-on-11 owed to the medical staff's desire to reign him in and keep some overzealous rookie from accidentally rolling up on his surgically repaired left knee, on which he wore a brace.

"It's been battle-tested, as far as a long offseason of just putting in work," Merriman said of his knee. "Over the next few weeks I'm going to test it even more. I don't play a game tomorrow."

Oft-injured Buster Davis practiced, and every time I looked up he was catching a pass. But talent has never been the question with Davis. His ability to stay healthy is unknown.
    Davis spoke after practice but said it would be the last time for a while.
    "I've just got a lot to say on the field," he said.

Other veterans working out were linebacker Brandon Siler and offensive linemen Scott Mruczkowski and L.J. Shelton.

Former USC, L.A. Rams and UNLV coach John Robinson, for whom Turner worked under at Southern California and with the Rams, is helping out the next few weeks as a consultant.

There's not a lot too get too hyped about with just rookies working (and with first-rounder Larry English and sixth-rounder Kevin Ellison, both of whom are expected to be big contributors, not having signed yet). But one of my favorites things about these first few practices is coaches getting on rookies, letting them know their college work ethic isn't enough in the NFL.​

This same group of mostly rookies will work out again tomorrow and Wednesday before almost certainly taking Thursday off. The first full-squad workout is Friday.​

2. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    Davis spoke after practice but said it would be the last time for a while.
    "I've just got a lot to say on the field," he said

I like this. Hope you can pull it together, Buster.

3. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Merriman eager to return to field for Chargers

SAN DIEGO (AP)—Shawne Merriman(notes) was back at work at Chargers Park on Monday with an eye on the future.

The imposing linebacker, who missed all but one game last season because of an injury to his left knee, wants to be able to make a contribution this year.

“I just want to help the team get back what we lacked last year—nastiness and intensity and being physical,” Merriman said. “I think that’s where you notice it, being away from the game. Some of the things that I was really good at doing, that is motivating everybody else, getting everybody else to take their game to another level.”

Merriman reported to training camp Monday along with the quarterbacks, rookies and other players coming off injuries. The balance of the squad checks in Thursday, with a full-team workout on Friday.

The medical staff kept Merriman from team drills.

“I think that will come later on, don’t know the timeline for that,” Merriman said. “But hopefully I’m not out much longer.”

The Chargers are hoping Merriman’s knack for pestering quarterbacks—he had 39 1/2 sacks in his first three seasons—will spill over to the secondary. If Merriman can wreck his usual havoc in opposing backfields, that could mean more interception opportunities for cornerbacks Quentin Jammer and Antonio Cromartie.

They combined for just four last year.

“I’m looking to see those guys’ numbers to go back up and us being one of the best defenses in the NFL,” Merriman said. “And it’s going to take a lot of work and for me, my work starts today.”

Quarterback Philip Rivers was upbeat after seeing Merriman race around the field.

“He looks ready,” Rivers said. “Everyone can see how he looks physically. He looks as good as he’s looked since he’s been here. I know he’s champing at the bit to get out there. I’m sure (they’ll) ease back in, but he was out there today doing some different things. He’s excited and I know we’re excited to have him back out there with us.”

Coach Norv Turner said Merriman has been moving great. “His workouts have been outstanding,” Turner said. “His strength is good. He’s ready to get going.”

But Turner said the team will be prudent in handling Merriman.

“We’re going to monitor where Shawne is and if he needs some rest, we’ll give it to him,” he said. “We have time, and we’ll be smart about how we get him ready.”

He hinted Merriman will likely see action in the preseason.

“I’d expect him to play early,” Turner said. “We don’t have to make those decisions for a couple weeks, but when he’s ready to go and we’re comfortable with his health, then he’ll play.”

Merriman is eager to show he’s still got it.

“I better get one play, man,” Merriman said. “I will be furious if I don’t get one play. I might not make (the tackle) but I just want to hit somebody and go to the sidelines. I expect to play a little bit. Hopefully I will be allowed to get on the field.”

4. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'm not alone in wishing they would all just shut up and play - apparently Davis gets it. This has to be his year and there is no sense wasting a lot of time talking about it.

5. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Exactly. Just STFU & play.

I could do w/o the tweeting as well. :yes:

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I hope EVERYONE on the team read that quote and takes it to heart.

SHUT UP AND PLAY

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    If Buster Davis gets injured again this year, he is by far the worst pick of AJ Smiths carrer.

That includes passing on Polomalu for Terrance Kiel.

8. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Fixed it for ya! :tup:

9. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Disagree. IMO, a "bad" pick is one made on a player who has character issues, work ethic issues, or who just plain lacks the talent to play in the NFL.

None of those applies to Davis. He works hard, has the talent, but hasn't been able to stay healthy.